What's the bar area for in a suite?

cruisewish

I swear - I'm not being funny here! DH is livid since we discovered that we cannot a) bring our own alcohol and b) cannot request a bar set-up or bottles of alcohol (as we did on NCL.) He loves to have a cocktail while sitting on the balcony, and doesn't want to wait for room service, etc.

So - the suites all show a lovely bar area. What are we supposed to do with it??? Seems like the alcohol policy is at odds with the room decor/amenities. He's so mad we're thinking of cancelling and going on NCL or Holland America instead.

I agree--they should totally re-name that, since it's not really a "bar"!

On the way back to the room, you can stop by a bar and pick up a drink...then you'll have something while you wait for room service! (At least, that's what we do, if we want to drink in the cabin)

Or, you can do as many others do, and "smuggle" a little "sumpin'" onboard!

I swear - I'm not being funny here! DH is livid since we discovered that we cannot a) bring our own alcohol and b) cannot request a bar set-up or bottles of alcohol (as we did on NCL.) He loves to have a cocktail while sitting on the balcony, and doesn't want to wait for room service, etc.

So - the suites all show a lovely bar area. What are we supposed to do with it??? Seems like the alcohol policy is at odds with the room decor/amenities. He's so mad we're thinking of cancelling and going on NCL or Holland America instead.

I'd cancel and go with another line. Of course, I would have checked into the policies before I booked rather than getting livid after, but that's just me.

cruisewish

I have never sailed NCL or Holland America. I have only sailed RCCL but have been investigating another line for a partial canal transit. Princess, in my investigation, has told me they start you up with a limited bar set-up in suites. This is internet investigation done by me!!;) Did you possibly have a TA book for you and this was one question that slipped by?? Sorry but yup-no bringing alcohol on with you. :(

PS - Since you obviously didn't do much investigation before booking, you should probably also be made aware that even though it's called a minibar, the fridge contains no alcoholic beverages.

I guess it should be called a fridge area?:eek: Smuggling does occur. So then that person could still call it a mini bar?

Many thanks for the replies - both helpful and those that were a wee bit critical. I booked the cruise myself without even thinking it could be a problem. So I have to bear the brunt of "Mr Livid." Was hoping some of you could help out with suggestions or info. He seems to recall that we got a bottle of vodka from the room attendant on our last RCI cruise when we were in the OS. I don't remember that, but there's no winning at this point!

This is a very frustrating topic. As a poster said on another thread, you used to be able to buy a bottle of liquor in the on board duty free shop and pay a $10.00 consumption fee to take it back to your suite. Then came the "bar set-up" option. Now there are no options, only room service, or stop by a bar and pick one up for yourself.

Actually, we had a group in one evening, and we did order bottles of wine-do-able. Another time we did order rounds from room service-

do-able, but not very convenient.

Wish RCI would do like Celebrity and Azamara do, and offer bar set ups. Makes thing nice and convenient.

Happy Cruising,

TnT

Years ago, they did have actual bottles of liquor in the OS and RS...in the RS you got, one bottle of Dewar's Scotch, one bottle of Bacardi Rum, One bottle of Vodka (I forget which kind) and one bottle of Whiskey (also forget what brand)...you could switch these bottles for all scotch or all rum etc....with no problem. They also had the option of purchasing liquor at the shop to drink in your room for a service charge. Then that all disappeared and the CL was born...then they offered drink packages...that also disappeared...now it's very strict. It's sad, because many people enjoyed the idea of a drink in their room, etc. Now one must stoop to smuggling, or ordering drinks one at a time from room service...both seem like too much of a hassle. I'm sorry that RCI did away with at least being able to purchase alcohol from the shop...no one would care if they tacked on a 25 dollar price and you had to prove you were thirty years old...it would be nice if some of the old rules applied...RCI has gotten a little too strict.

It's not the idea of having a lot of alcohol, it's just the idea of being able to enjoy a cocktail hour on your balcony, or at your suite bar with friends....it would be very nice.

I totally agree with you, I always thought it would be great to buy a couple of bottles for the room and then your limited to buy anymore until the end of the cruise, plus using the SeaPass they can do all matter of age restrictions on the cards use and over the amount purchased. Seems strange as Celebrity allow you take two bottles of wine on with you.... Mark

Mind this time were in a suite so looking foward to a few free drinkies this time in the CL.

Have they built these bar areas in suites on Oasis and Allure? If so, what's the point. Since this is RCCL's drinks policy now, and unlikely to ever change, couldn't the bar area have been put to better use?
If you're having some friends over to your room and are ordering wine/beer/snacks/etc from room service what better place would there be to put it all? Or even if you're just ordering it for yourselves.

If you're having some friends over to your room and are ordering wine/beer/snacks/etc from room service what better place would there be to put it all? Or even if you're just ordering it for yourselves.

Well, not that I've ever had anything above a JS but we've always managed perfectly well with the table areas in the cabin. Friends who stayed in a GS on Explorer earlier this year (family of 4) said they'd have happily given up the unused 'bar' area for a little more room in the cabin - or a walk-in closet ;)

HI CRUISEWISH!!!

So...here are your options. If you have booked a suite...you will have access to the Concierge Lounge...and cocktails before dinner. I, like your DH, also like to have a cocktail in my suite any time I feel like it. So...I order the wine package. The refrigerator in the suite does not keep things that cold...but is great for wine...especially Champagne. So I will call room service and order a couple of bottles from my wine package. They deliver fairly fast and also bring plenty of ice along with Champagne flutes and a pitcher of water. I then head for the nearest bar and have my favorite bartender pour me a nice glass of cognac...straight up. Then I ask for another glass of sour mix. I take the two glasses back to the suite. Empty the pitcher of water...fill the pitcher with ice...pour in a bottle of Champagne...add the cognac and the sour mix...stir gently and BINGO...you have a nice FRENCH 75 and you haven't broken any silly rules!!! The silly things we have to do and go through...because this is the way RCI wants it. So I guess the answer for you is to tell your DH to get used to the idea of French 75's...LOL!!! Personally...I think the whole thing is insane...LOL.

Have they built these bar areas in suites on Oasis and Allure? If so, what's the point. Since this is RCCL's drinks policy now, and unlikely to ever change, couldn't the bar area have been put to better use?

I just had a look at their website on the grand suite's looks like there is a bar present, plus an even more modern approach than the Freedom class which are lovely... :eek:

one day i will over come fear of flying and have a go on Oasis

Archived