For those that use a TA- what would you do?

gargoyle999

Ok..here is my situation. I am going to be booking a Cat 11 cabin on the Miracle for Nov of next year using Early Saver rate. My initial plan was to book directly with a PVP (I want to start using a PVP to book to develop a "relationship" directly with Carnival and ask any pre-booking questions) then transfer the booking to a TA I have used before and am very happy with in order to save some money.

So by doing this I could save $225.

But I just found another online TA that is offering the cruise at a savings of $358. Now this agency charges fees for any change to the invoice in the amount of $39. So to process an ES price drop, it would cost me $39. I also would have to pay $29 if I booked directly with the PVP then transferred the reservation. The other TA I have used before does not charge any fees.

Now since this cruise is Early Saver I will not be canceling and I will be booking a specific cabin and will not want to change. So I am not worried about any fees for that with the new TA.

We were supposed to do the same cruise in Feb but the itinerary was changed. So I have no questions about the ports, the Miracle or really anything about this cruise that I will need the PVP or TA for.

I am trying decide if I should just book direct with the new TA getting the lowest price knowing that I would have to pay $39 for any price drop, but also knowing that I would be saving $133 up front vs the old TA and since I'm booking a Cat 11 the chance for price drops is less than other categories.

Or, book with my old TA that doesn't charge fees and I have been happy with but is costing me more when I know I won't be changing cabins or canceling. If there are any price drops I could get them with no extra cost. I could also book with the PVP since transferring the booking would not cost me anything. Even though all I would be doing is calling the PVP and telling her to book me on this sailing in this cabin. In other words, this booking is going to be basically no work for anyone!

If the difference was <$50 I'd just go with my old TA since he is very good. But saving an extra $133 is something I need to consider.

What would you do?

I'd book with the old TA. The cruise is over a year away...you could see many price drops over that period. If you book with the new TA and there are more than 3 price drops, you'll end up paying more than if you booked with the old TA (or booked with the PVP and transferred to the old TA).

The two primary reasons to book early saver are the lower initial price, and being able to take advantage of price drops after final payment. Seems that going with the new TA will pretty much eliminate one of those reasons. I too would think long and hard about booking ES for a sailing during flu season!

The two primary reasons to book early saver are the lower initial price, and being able to take advantage of price drops after final payment. Seems that going with the new TA will pretty much eliminate one of those reasons. I too would think long and hard about booking ES for a sailing during flu season!

I do agree with taking advantage of price drops with the new TA. That's my dilemma. It's like gambling. Save $133 for sure but any price drop would have to be big to make it worthwhile.

As far as ES during flu season...you can't cancel without penalty after final payment anyway which is 75 days before sailing. So I'm not seeing how that would make a difference?

I'd think long and hard before booking with any agent that charges $39 for changes. I also understand why they have started charging clients for changes but I'd rather book direct and know I have someone available 24/7. Is that per person or per change? Also please know that Carnival now requires any transferring of bookings to a TA within 24 hours. After that you can no longer make the change.

Have you asked your old ta to match the price? They might be able to come closer to the cheaper price. I would use the old ta since you have a rapport and they dont charge crazy fees. Seems like that is how the new TA makes up the differance

You know..I didn't for this sailing. I did on a past one and he told me he couldn't match because do "offer a service". Meaning they don't have all those fees. Which is true.

Guess it wouldn't hurt to ask again. Even if they can't match exactly maybe it would get closer.

I'd think long and hard before booking with any agent that charges $39 for changes. I also understand why they have started charging clients for changes but I'd rather book direct and know I have someone available 24/7. Is that per person or per change? Also please know that Carnival now requires any transferring of bookings to a TA within 24 hours. After that you can no longer make the change.

Well, it's $39 per change per cabin. And yes I understand there are some advantages to keeping a booking directly with Carnival. But those advantages are not worth paying a minimum of $225 for.

As far as time limit to transfer, that seems to be one of those "depending on who you ask" type of things. I've read here it's 24 hours, 30 days, and when I asked my PVP about it last week she replied that it is anytime before final payment!

JMO, but I too would think long and hard about the ES deal. As for the TA, you'll hear pro's and con's from both sides of the aisle between going with a TA or PVP. Me personally, I'm a small business owner, and so is my TA. She's local, and we've established a good rapport over the years. If it costs me a few extra dollars to deal with her, so be it. I support small business in my area, as they support me.

Now, if you really like your your TA as you stated, at the price of a Cat 11, I can't see $133 dollars being a deal breaker. Again, JMO, you asked :D

Now, if you really like your your TA as you stated, at the price of a Cat 11, I can't see $133 dollars being a deal breaker. Again, JMO, you asked :D

I sure did! :) I'm just trying to get others feedback, whatever it may be as I'm really undecided on it.

I'm still not clear on those of you recommending not going with the ES rate? Do you not like it in general or is there something specific to my question that you recommend not booking with ES?

I booked with a TA I knew wasnt that good in the customer service dept, saying, I dont care, who ever needs service? I had a question about insurance, took 5 days of emails to straighten out.

Then Carnival replaced the ship. I booked Fantasy for Dec 09, and Carnival replaced it with Triumph. Took 3 days of emails with them saying that Carnival wasnt replacing any ships ... and I sent them two links and still they denied it. ... and on it went.

You say you know you wouldnt need any customer service, but things might come up and make you need it. You cant control a ship being changed out for instance.

You can book thru Carnival, get a next cruise certificate and buy 100 shares of Carnival stock, and voila, there's $200 OBC in your pocket.

Im just not going thru another TA that charges for price drops. Many price drops might only be $20 or $30 pp, and most of that will be eaten up with the charges. My other TA started charging $25 pp to make changes, so thats $50 of each price drop ... and one they said was too much trouble, they wouldnt bother with.

Are you willing to gamble you wouldnt get price drops in this economy vs. getting a PVP that is easier to deal with?

You say you know you wouldnt need any customer service, but things might come up and make you need it. You cant control a ship being changed out for instance.

That is a good point! Something may come up that I do not initiate but still need the TA to help deal with.

Are you willing to gamble you wouldnt get price drops in this economy vs. getting a PVP that is easier to deal with?

For me it is TA vs TA. For sure I am willing to save $225 up front (vs keeping booking with Carnival) to go with a TA I have used before and has provided me with very good service.

I realize the economy is not very good right now so sometimes people are willing to bend a little to accommodate. Try asking your Ta to try to match it. Says a lot for loyalty here.

I've just sent him an email. I wouldn't expect him to match exactly since they don't have the fees, but whatever is closer would save me money! :)

I think the points about not really knowing what you might need your TA to help with and that over the next 14+ months there could be price drops (I can hope!) are good ones.

I think I'll try for the best deal I can get with my old TA and then hope he has to earn his commission by filling out lots of price drop requests! :D

Ok..here is my situation. I am going to be booking a Cat 11 cabin on the Miracle for Nov of next year using Early Saver rate. My initial plan was to book directly with a PVP (I want to start using a PVP to book to develop a "relationship" directly with Carnival and ask any pre-booking questions) then transfer the booking to a TA I have used before and am very happy with in order to save some money.

So by doing this I could save $225.

But I just found another online TA that is offering the cruise at a savings of $358. Now this agency charges fees for any change to the invoice in the amount of $39. So to process an ES price drop, it would cost me $39. I also would have to pay $29 if I booked directly with the PVP then transferred the reservation. The other TA I have used before does not charge any fees.

Now since this cruise is Early Saver I will not be canceling and I will be booking a specific cabin and will not want to change. So I am not worried about any fees for that with the new TA.

We were supposed to do the same cruise in Feb but the itinerary was changed. So I have no questions about the ports, the Miracle or really anything about this cruise that I will need the PVP or TA for.

I am trying decide if I should just book direct with the new TA getting the lowest price knowing that I would have to pay $39 for any price drop, but also knowing that I would be saving $133 up front vs the old TA and since I'm booking a Cat 11 the chance for price drops is less than other categories.

Or, book with my old TA that doesn't charge fees and I have been happy with but is costing me more when I know I won't be changing cabins or canceling. If there are any price drops I could get them with no extra cost. I could also book with the PVP since transferring the booking would not cost me anything. Even though all I would be doing is calling the PVP and telling her to book me on this sailing in this cabin. In other words, this booking is going to be basically no work for anyone!

If the difference was <$50 I'd just go with my old TA since he is very good. But saving an extra $133 is something I need to consider.

What would you do?

too many issues for me to answer in your post, however, I have always used an online agent and gotten an excellent price as well as reductions along the way and when I have a question, I just research it on the Carnival website e brochure and if I have a really specific question, I call the 888 number and just ask it. I don't need to tell them my reservation number and I don't refer to my specific reservation, I just ask the question. They answer it. Just ask the right questions.

And I word my question as follows: "Does Carnival offer such and such" or "is it possible to...."

Anyone can get their specific questions answered, ever in generalized form if asked correctly. If I want answers regarding a cabin type or something just ask. Whenever anyone books thru Carnival directly they must ask many many questions before actually booking.....so just go on that assumption and they will answer you.

Of course if you start out by saying " I am already booked with a TA but just want to ask a question" you will get nowhere.

I know TA's are getting paid to do this for you, but from personal as well as cruise critic experience, not all TA's give out the correct info.:mad:

Red Flags go up when any TA charges fee's for anything other than a flat out cancelation (many don't even charge for that ).Certainly not a common TA practice in the Cruise Industry .

By all means , give your TA a chance to keep you a happy client.

Like others have said , there can be many $$ changes between now & sailing.

I would book with the one person that you trust the most, that knows the product that they are selling you inside and out, who has the best customer service, and who will be there for you if something happens to arise.

If you're booking a Cat 11 suite, you're probably going to spend a few thousand dollars on your vacation. What percentage of your cruise cost is $133?? Is it worth your vacation being ruined by dealing with someone that you don't know, who might mess up your vacation plans?

In other words, book with your original TA if he/she fulfills these requirements. If I had a nickel for every person who has been lured to book their vacation through a specific travel agency based on price, only to find out that they booked through the travel agency from hell, I'd have my next cruise paid for! Once you book through a TA you're STUCK with them. You can't call Carnival or another TA to rectify the error that an incompetent agency has created.

I personally deal with a PVP who I've known and trusted for 5 years. Most of the time, she offers the same price I find on other TA website. Sometimes she doesn't. Even then I STILL book through her. The peace of mind of dealing with someone I trust is worth every extra penny.

Second, read ALL the fine print of the ES rate. Make sure that you know what you're getting yourself into. Visualize the worst case scenario, and if you're still OK with it, then book the ES rate.

Finally, the only thing guaranteed in life is death. With a cruise that's FAR from now, a lot of things CAN happen, so make sure that you're dealing with someone that will be there for you.

Hope this is helpful!

I would book with the one person that you trust the most, that knows the product that they are selling you inside and out, who has the best customer service, and who will be there for you if something happens to arise.

If you're booking a Cat 11 suite, you're probably going to spend a few thousand dollars on your vacation. What percentage of your cruise cost is $133?? Is it worth your vacation being ruined by dealing with someone that you don't know, who might mess up your vacation plans?

In other words, book with your original TA if he/she fulfills these requirements.

I think you have summed up the general advice I've received very well! Thanks. :)

Archived