chef's table, another question

Lisa&Neb

I have been looking through all the chef's tables links (within reason) and have yet to have anyone ask/comment on this:

I would like to do the chef's table as I think it would be very interesting, however, I have had a mild allergic reaction to seafood in the past and avoid it at any cost. DH strongly dislikes all seafood, so I am wondering if the chef's table would be at all worth it, or should we just go to the Steakhouse for a really nice dinner.

That question may be best answered by the Maitre D' or Executive Chef. They meet with everyone before hand to discuss issues like allergies.

No one had those concerns in our group. Two of the dishes would have been an issue..There was a crab salad served in a martini glass and a lobster risotto. That's 2 out of what must of been a 10 course meal and certainly could have been skipped if necessary. My guess is that the chef could have alternative options for those with seafood allergies as well.

I have been looking through all the chef's tables links (within reason) and have yet to have anyone ask/comment on this:

I would like to do the chef's table as I think it would be very interesting, however, I have had a mild allergic reaction to seafood in the past and avoid it at any cost. DH strongly dislikes all seafood, so I am wondering if the chef's table would be at all worth it, or should we just go to the Steakhouse for a really nice dinner.

When you make your Chef's Table reservation they ask you right then if there are any allergies or food intolerances. I was very impressed at their proactiveness because I do have a food allergy. I did not have any issues.

Also, consider letting the cruiseline know about your food allergy about two weeks before your cruise. You need to do it through your TA (if you booked with a TA) or if you booked through Princess you can tell them directly. I always find that letting them know ahead of time and then trying to get the same wait staff every night really helps. Even if you don't do traditional dining, you can usually get the same waiter if you ask the maitre d'.

We've done the Chef's Table twice. Both meals were non seafood...one being beef and pork tenderloin and the other being the flaming game meat. Both times, we started out with the crabmeat cocktail in the galley and both risotto dishes were seafood based. Other than those two dishes, the meal had no other seafood. The maitre'd will interview you prior to the day of the event. At that point, he will ask you about allergies. You could just skip the courses that you are allergic to or they could substitute something for you. If you are a foodie, this dinner is definitely worth it. It's to die for. Warning...do not eat much that day. After this meal, they will have to roll you out of the dining room.;)

I have a serious seafood allergy to the point that I always travel with an Epi-pen and it was noted when we made our reservations. This was confirmed again by the Maitre d' the night of the dinner. The chef prepared a vegetable risotto instead of seafood and I avoided the lobster tails. There were plenty of choices.You should have nothing to worry about and you won't go home hungry. Just enjoy!

Archived