Disney in Alaska in 2011

Travel_Maven

Just saw a D23 Webcast that Disney Cruise Line will be in Alaska in 2011. They will sail out of Juneau to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Tracy Arm Fjord. This was a shock to me because the last I read, they had retracted their request for a permit to sail to Alaska. I'm glad they are going now. Love Disney Cruises!!:)

They will sail R/T Vancouver.

CELEBRATION, Fla. (Sept. 11, 2009) – For the first time ever, Disney Cruise Line will offer Alaskan cruises during a four-month season of seven-night sailings aboard the Disney Wonder in summer 2011. Combining the natural wonder and adventurous spirit of Alaska with the unparalleled, family-friendly experience provided by Disney Cruise Line, the Disney Wonder will depart out of Vancouver, B.C., calling on popular ports such as Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway.

Before and after the 2011 summer season in Alaska, the Disney Wonder will sail seven-night Mexican Riviera cruises from the Port of Los Angeles to Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlán and Puerto Vallarta.

In response to guest demand, the Disney Magic will once again return to the Mediterranean in 2011 with 10- and 11-night cruises sailing out of Barcelona. In addition to popular ports in Italy, France and Spain, the Disney Magic will visit Tunis in northern Africa and the island nation of Malta.

“We’re excited to offer this incredible choice of itineraries for 2011, with cruise vacation options for every family – whether that’s outdoor adventure in Alaska, the beauty and culture of Europe, folklore and pageantry of Mexico or tropical fun in the Caribbean,” said Disney Cruise Line President Karl Holz. “The unique advantage of Disney Cruise Line is that we offer a customized ship experience that brings families together, while still catering to the personalized vacation needs of every guest who sails with us.”

Disney Cruise Line also will offer a number of repositioning cruises and special sailings in 2011, including a 15-night Panama Canal crossing, two 14-night transatlantic voyages, a five- and six-night cruise from Los Angeles to Vancouver, and Vancouver to Los Angeles, with first-ever stops in San Francisco and Victoria, B.C., and 10- and 11-night holiday sailings to the Mexican Riviera and the eastern Caribbean.

Guests will be able to book Disney Wonder and Disney Magic itineraries for the 2011 season beginning Sept. 28, 2009.

Disney Wonder 2011 Schedule

Departing out of Vancouver, the Disney Wonder will sail a total of 18 seven-night cruises to Alaska for the 2011 summer season, calling on Tracy Arm, Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan.

As part of the new Alaska itinerary, Disney Cruise Line guests will be able to experience breathtaking natural vistas, an abundance of wildlife and the rich history and customs of Alaska’s native culture. On their Alaskan adventure, guests may catch a glimpse of a brown bear, bald eagle or humpback whale, and explore magnificent glaciers and fjords in Juneau. In Ketchikan, guests can fish for some of the largest wild salmon in the world and learn about local culture through hand-carved totem poles. In Skagway, Disney Cruise Line guests can traverse panoramic landscapes by railway, or pan for gold like miners from the famous Klondike gold rush.

The first-ever Disney cruise to Alaska will depart on May 3 with the last cruise of the season scheduled for Aug. 30. Rates for the seven-night Alaskan itinerary start at $939 per person for a standard inside stateroom, based on double occupancy.

To prepare for the Alaska sailings, a brand-new venue called Outlook Café will be added to the Disney Wonder during dry dock in October. Located high atop deck 10, the 2,500-square-foot Outlook Café is a stylish retreat for guests to relax and enjoy a beverage or cocktail as they peer out through floor-to-ceiling, curved glass windows at breathtaking vistas. The design of Outlook Café is sophisticated with contemporary Art Deco inspiration. An elegant spiral staircase connects Outlook Café with the existing Cove Café one deck below. The 65-seat lounge has a granite-topped cocktail bar with comfortable seating throughout the space, all providing picture-perfect views of the surrounding landscapes.

Book-ending the 2011 summer season in Alaska, the Disney Wonder will sail seven-night itineraries to the Mexican Riviera. Rates for the seven-night Mexican Riviera itinerary start at $639 per person for a standard inside stateroom, based on double occupancy.

Prior to repositioning to Alaska, the Disney Wonder will sail a special 10-night Mexican Riviera voyage, including a stop at Manzanillo.

Now we just have to find out which pier they will dock at in Vancouver - Canada Place or Ballantyne - looks like Tuedsay departures so there is no reason it can't be Canada Place.

Cheers

Dennis

Hopefully that little detail will not be a show stopper for anyone. :p

Keith

Now we just have to find out which pier they will dock at in Vancouver - Canada Place or Ballantyne - looks like Tuedsay departures so there is no reason it can't be Canada Place.

Cheers

Dennis

I bet Disney goes for Canada Place. Disney seems to pay what it must to do what it wants to do. There is definitely a market for Disney in Alaska.

As a "rule" Disney cruises are not cheap. They aren't the most expensive - but they aren't going to beat Princess or NCL I believe category vs category.

That being said - I love Disney's ships and they have great service - so they are a very welcome addition to the Alaska route

As a "rule" Disney cruises are not cheap. They aren't the most expensive - but they aren't going to beat Princess or NCL I believe category vs category.

That being said - I love Disney's ships and they have great service - so they are a very welcome addition to the Alaska route

Generally - Disney cabins are more expensive then Princess or HAL. Though - I think Disney has some very nice cabins (large with nice amenities) - for families, they have the best cabins.

The press release said inside standard rooms start at $939/person. So definitely more expensive than other lines. I am sure there will be some discounts, but almost certainly it will cost more than other mass market lines.

You are correct that it will be more than many of the mass market lines. At the same time it is quite different from most of the other lines as well.

Keith

Cheers

Dennis

I hadn't seen this thread when I started the thread with the link to to the Vancouver Sun story but I think your guess re berthing at Canada Place is as good as any.....file this away until February 2011 when the berthing schedule is announced and we will see if you are correct.:) Then you can post as "I predicted on September 11, 2009 Disney is..........":D

You are correct that it will be more than many of the mass market lines. At the same time it is quite different from most of the other lines as well.

Keith

Are they worth the extra $$$? I don't mind paying more if I'm really getting a unique experience. But we've cruised to Alaska twice -- once on Celebrity and once on HAL -- and since the itinerary itself won't be unique for us, I'd like the cruise experience to be. I don't want to pay top dollar for Disney unless the cruise is going to have a real "wow" factor! ;)

Are they worth the extra $$$? I don't mind paying more if I'm really getting a unique experience. But we've cruised to Alaska twice -- once on Celebrity and once on HAL -- and since the itinerary itself won't be unique for us, I'd like the cruise experience to be. I don't want to pay top dollar for Disney unless the cruise is going to have a real "wow" factor! ;)

Like anything else it is a personal decision. IMHO the wow factor will come from the ship. If it was all the same for each of us we'd all cruise the same cruise line in Alaska but obviously for most the ship and the cruise lines are all factors along with the itinerary. There will be many families are will pay the extra dollars to take the Disney cruise as there are folks who will pay the extra dollars to sail with a premium or luxury cruise line. At the same time, others will pick other cruise lines. In the end, it's all about choice.

My only point is that there are differences between cruise lines and even ships within one cruise line which many times is why one cruise is more expensive than another cruise.

Keith

Keith,

Oh sure, I understand and agree with that; I just thought there must be something that set them apart, whether it be service, amenities, entertainment, etc. (And again, that's subjective.) I just want to know what I'm getting for that extra thousand or two on Disney that I didn't get on Celebrity or HAL, and wouldn't get on any of the other lines sailing Alaska. Other than the fact that the ship's horn plays "When You Wish Upon a Star" at embarkation! :D

We're 50+, with two grown kids, and all of us love all things Disney. I would just hate to sail with them and then think, "really...this is it?"

Jennifer

well..I believe the price of 2010 cruises to alaska just went down..I think alot of families deciding about alaska will now wait 1 more year not to chance it with the kids. Disney has a huge loyal following.. And if a family of 4 is going to shell out at least 6k for flights and cruise- theyre going to go with Disney in many instances.

My family of 4 just booked princess for next summer.. have no desire to pay disney premium..I will def be checking price drops now

well..I believe the price of 2010 cruises to alaska just went down..I think alot of families deciding about alaska will now wait 1 more year not to chance it with the kids. Disney has a huge loyal following.. And if a family of 4 is going to shell out at least 6k for flights and cruise- theyre going to go with Disney in many instances.

My family of 4 just booked princess for next summer.. have no desire to pay disney premium..I will def be checking price drops now

I can't argue with your logic on either point. It will be interesting to see what impact they do have on the market.:)

We fell in love with cruising when we took our first cruise with Disney in 2005 when they came to the West Coast for the first time. We paid an absolutely ridiculous price for our Mexican Riviera cruise with them. While I am very glad we took both of our Disney cruises, I doubt I would go back at the prices they charge now that I have discovered how wonderful cruising with other lines (especially Princess) can be and how much other lines offer for kids.

Honestly, the DCL Wonder is not ideal for Alaska. It has only outdoor pools and not nearly the scope of nice inside and outside viewing areas offered on other ships. It was, after all, designed for the Caribbean. The ships are beautiful, but lack many amenities of newer, larger ships. The kids program is great, but to be frank, there are so many kids onboard my daughter felt overwhelmed in the kids program because it was just soooo crowded.

I will say that the entertainment is wonderful, the food is good, although really nothing special and you do get that special Disney feeling. But I'm not sure it really is worth the inflated price, especially for first time Alaska cruisers when the itinerary doesn't even include Glacier Bay.

For those really looking for a Disney experience, it may be worth the price. But for those looking for a good value on a comparable or even better cruise experience with the focus really being seeing Alaska, I'm not sure it really is worth it, especially with all that the other lines offer for families these days.

As always my friend, some very well thought out and expressed views and observations.:) I think their timing on entering the market in 2011 is perfect. With there being fewer cruises to Alaska starting next year the days of the bargin fares to Alaska are likely over, at least until the herd mentality takes over again. So with the upward pressure on Alaskan fares next year DCL's may not look to bad in 2011. From a Vancouver perspective, we are taking quite a kicking next year in terms of Alaska cruise business .... so its exciting for us to see that the bleeding may have stopped....we hope.:)

unless I am reading something incorrectly, the current amount for an inside cabin for the Alaska cruise will be $939. That is about what I had priced on some of the other cruiselines so....it may be comparable. We have been pricing 2010 to get an idea of what we will have to pay in 2011 when we plan to do an Alaskan cruise with extended family. I think I was seeing prices of around $1,000 for an inside cabin on some of the 2010 sailings.

This should be interesting. I am also curious as to how this will work with Disney opening up their 2011 Alaskan cruise reservations on 9/28 while most lines won't have that information until around February or March, right? That will make it difficult to really compare.

The big thing for me, right now, is that I want to sail out of Vancouver and am wondering if some of the other lines will return there in 2011. I hope the other lines put their information out soon so as to be competitive with the disney information. We really want the opportunity to book early on our cruise so that we can have a large selection of cabin types!

Archived