price drop/OBC/anybody's experience

bud

I got a decent price drop last weekend for Mariner. This was after the "new policy" supposedly started, but I still got my refund on my credit card. The rep I spoke to on the phone made no mention of an obc option.

Not sure how they are determining the refund vs obc/upgrade

Just wondering if anybody has had a bad exerience with the new price drop OBC new policy...Just wondering if anyone has not seen the refund on their OBC once onboard and what can you do

I've got one of those price drop OBC's for a Monarch cruise next week. I'm planning to test the refund process. I'll let you know.

Bob

We were told (today) that we will receive a credit back to our card for a price drop on on 10/18/09 sailing.

When I mentioned that I thought the policy had changed to OBC only, my TA said that she was told that it could be either one and she had automatically asked for the credit to the card.

We'll see.

I am on hold right now with an RCI rep working on applying the OBC for our Nov. cruise that just had a nice price drop. She very matter of factly told me that the new procedure is to do an OBC and I said fine. She has had me on hold for quite a while now working on it. Should be fine. We already had an advance booking onboard OBC, so this will make our OBC pretty big. I guess we will put our tips on the seapass this time. We prefer to use cash for tips, but I guess this will work great. BTW price drop was $110pp. Not bad for a phone call.

We were told (today) that we will receive a credit back to our card for a price drop on on 10/18/09 sailing.

When I mentioned that I thought the policy had changed to OBC only, my TA said that she was told that it could be either one and she had automatically asked for the credit to the card.

We'll see.

I am a TA and I would love to know where your TA is getting their info. I received an announcement with the same wording posted on the website and NO WHERE does it give us a choice. I think your TA is wrong so be prepared for OBC and not a credit.

I am a TA and I would love to know where your TA is getting their info. I received an announcement with the same wording posted on the website and NO WHERE does it give us a choice. I think your TA is wrong so be prepared for OBC and not a credit.

Sue, is Royal protecting commissions with the new policy of giving an OBC for a price drop? I've read conflicting statements here.

Bob

Sue, is Royal protecting commissions with the new policy of giving an OBC for a price drop? I've read conflicting statements here.

Bob

NO, Its says right in the FAQ's that they sent TA's that they are NOT protecting commissions.

You are welcome, our commission wasn't protected for a price drop and it isn't now so this is no change for us.

Yes, from the TA point of view nothing has changed, however from Royal's point of view it seems they are probably getting more non-commissionable money the new way. I suspect that the vast majority of people who have a price drop OBC won't even know it's refundable, and therefore will spend it all.

I also think it helps Royal's cash flow, which is probably the biggest reason they did it.

I just got a price drop last night for over $150 a person for my honeymoon on the mariner for next june. The rep asked me if I would like to upgrade for the same price, put it towards onboard ship credit or adjust the price. I chose the adjust the price. pretty easy no change from what I had to do in the past.

1. justjess: Go to rccl.com and do a fake booking. Book your exact cabin category for your sailing and watch the price every day. That's how most of us find price drops (and increases).

2. I called on...ooooh I think it was this past Tue 9/8...told them I saw a $30pp price drop (I know, big deal) on my cruise. She confirmed that it had dropped and didn't even ask me if I wanted an OBC or credit back to my card. She just said, "Okay $30 will be credited back to each of your cards.

PS, my cruise is 11/1, so I've obviously made final payment.

I noticed a price drop on my Mariner cruse. I called a just got a rate drop on $177/pp today credited off my final payment.

The new policy works!

that was exactly how the policy ALWAYS worked. The "new" part is AFTER final payment you will now get OBC for any price drops.

Have you heard anything about RC charging a fee to allow price changes? I am afraid if they do that, most people in the know, will wait till very late to reserve their cabins!:confused:

Charging for price drops is part of the policy now in UK/Europe which was introduced June 1st :mad:

We are though allowed one change for free per person, be it cabin change or price drop then we are charged £35 pp for any further changes/price drops etc.

£75 fee if we transfer to another sailing :mad:

Archived