Giving Your Cabin Steward A Day Off?

tikimon

Speaking of towel animals, we were on the Glory 3 years ago, came back into the cabin one night after being out to find something on our bed that was in the shape of a womens bottom private part wearing my sunglasses, my wife asked me what is that supposed to be? I said I don't know but I know what it looks like, we just put it on the back of the couch and kept it the rest of the week laughing at it evey night! Never did find out what it was supposed to be :confused:

It is a seal. I asked my cabin steward when I saw her in the hall. The joke was on me when she said "What did you think it was?" I promptly replied "a walrus" :D

It is a seal. I asked my cabin steward when I saw her in the hall. The joke was on me when she said "What did you think it was?" I promptly replied "a walrus" :D

I did figure out it was supposed to be a seal, and the dinosaur I got one time looked like the male counterpart :o

These people work for cash so why give them something they may or may not really want. As they say cash is king. Also their cabins are tiny and barely have enough room as it is.

BTW what is the difference between giving them $ 20 phone card or extra 20 in tips.

I am happy to let them clean our cabin (after all we have paid for it) for the entire cruise but do not make it harder for them by making unnecessary messes.

BTW what is the difference between giving them $ 20 phone card or extra 20 in tips.
Exactly...I cannot understand people who do that, as if they're doing something special by giving the card instead of cash. Jeez, if they really, really wanted a phone card they could buy it with the cash. It's almost as funny as people buying them gift cards from their favorite stores...one guy over on one of the other boards is so proud of himself because he gives them Walmart cards...because there is a Walmart really close to the port and easy for them to get to...how unfreakingbelievably thoughtful of him!

Howard

Speaking of towel animals, we were on the Glory 3 years ago, came back into the cabin one night after being out to find something on our bed that was in the shape of a womens bottom private part wearing my sunglasses, my wife asked me what is that supposed to be? I said I don't know but I know what it looks like, we just put it on the back of the couch and kept it the rest of the week laughing at it evey night! Never did find out what it was supposed to be :confused:

LOL!! LOL!! Too funny!!`:D:D

Our stewards have told us that they usually get one afternoon off on one port day per week, after all of their cabins are clean and they have to back by 3:00 or 4:00. We try to find out what their "off" day is when we first meet them and then leave our DND signs on doors until we return from port. We let them know not to clean that day. It sounds like very little, but we usually have 2 or 3 cabins so that gives them a longer break to enjoy themselves.

I would think unless you were a lot of cabins sharing the same steward and you all game him the day off that skipping your cabin would not be of any great value to the steward.

We always make sure our cabin is "picked up" and we semi make our bed. I think we are like the majority of cruiser and don't make special demands on the stewards. We don't ask for ice or anything to be taken out of the refrigerator, we leave our room early for breakfast and pretty much follow a routine each evening. I would say my DH naps every day and we do the semi made bed after that. So the steward remakes it every evening.

I have also noticed the Stewards pulling apart a bed that look made to me to remake it. So maybe guests completely make their beds are wasting their time.

I think my job as a passenger is not to interfere with my steward's or waiter's duties, not to cause unnecessary work for anyone, to treat all the crew and other passengers with respect and to tip extra when warranted.

I think that's a seal - sounds like one of our critters.

I think we do more good by allowing them to do their job as they are suppose to but attempt to ask for anything special we may need ahead of time before we need it immediately and if we do wait until the last minute remembering to be a bit understanding when it may take a few minutes more than we would like.;) Great reviews on comment cards help too!:)

We haven't said anything to our stewardest about not cleaning it. We tend to keep our room as tidy as can be. There are times we leave the DND sign on the door, yet when we come back, the room is clean! Good thing we weren't doing anything! ;) We leave the auto-tips on and tip in the end.

We just leave the "do not disturb" sign out especially the morning after a long night of drinking. When we finally leave the room after sleeping in, we just leave it out. Sometimes they clean the room anyways but most times they respect the sign and the room is the same when we come back as how we left it. We really dont spend a lot of time in the room anyways so no big deal if our room doesn't get made one day.

lol ...i have too......but the poor stewards that suppose to keep my DS and his friends room clean........it drives the stewards banana's because they stay up all night and sleep in at least until 3pm

Us too. We always tell the steward up front that they'll have trouble getting into one of our family's cabins and not to worry about it because we know it's not their fault they can't ever get in to clean. We put the nightowls in their own room so they don't bother the rest of us too.

We always leave the auto tips on for all the staff, would never even consider asking that they be removed even if the staff didn't do their job to prefection. Everytime we have told our cabin steward not to bother cleaning that day they were very much appreciative, sometimes they would clean after we left and sometimes they would not and yes we always tip extra in cash to our cabin steward at the end of the cruise above the auto tips.

And to Salty Dingo I would also be appreciative to not do 1/20 of my job and someone still pay me for the entire day! Duh! :D

My view is... if you have a job where you enjoy someone taking part of your job away, so you get a "break"... you are in the wrong job.

People's work is what they take pride in, and they won't appreciate it if you tell them how to do their job, or tell them that they deserve a break from their job. That's presumptious and likely to tick them off.

If you don't want your room made up for whatever reason, that's fine, but let it be due to the fact that you don't want to leave your cabin or whatever the real reason, and NOT because you want to give the steward a "day off"!

I've been in business for myself since 1979 and done very well to have made it this far, so yes I know all about taking pride in the job that you do whatever that job may be. I guess that's where I get it from, when ever I see someone doing a good job rather it be a waitress in a resturant serving me, someone doing a auto repair,the guy in the grocery store bagging my groceries, one of the ships staff, one of my employees, or whomever, I just feel that they need to be rewarded for going above and beyond the call of duty. If you or whoever doesn't feel that way then that's up to you, to each their own. Yes I know that them not cleaning my room that one day is no big deal timewise, but I just felt it would be a little added extra above what they are paid plus the added tips that's all and like I said above each time the have been very appeciative about it.

I've been in business for myself since 1979 and done very well to have made it this far, so yes I know all about taking pride in the job that you do whatever that job may be. I guess that's where I get it from, when ever I see someone doing a good job rather it be a waitress in a resturant serving me, someone doing a auto repair,the guy in the grocery store bagging my groceries, one of the ships staff, one of my employees, or whomever, I just feel that they need to be rewarded for going above and beyond the call of duty. If you or whoever doesn't feel that way then that's up to you, to each their own. Yes I know that them not cleaning my room that one day is no big deal timewise, but I just felt it would be a little added extra above what they are paid plus the added tips that's all and like I said above each time the have been very appeciative about it.

Hmm....maybe they were just pretending to be appreciative??

I am still betting they prefer autotips plus an "extra" tip, good comments by name on the comment card, and if warrented a nice comment in person to their supervisor

I just let the cabin steward know on the first day when I meet them I prefer just to have them clean once day in the evening. Sometimes I sleep in. Yes I do the do not disturb sign on the door handle. But then they know it is not a priority t have to do it.

If housekeeping had a problem with it doing a spot check I would tell them that is what I like.....

I can't see them having to do this routine twice a day.....

Archived