Giving Your Cabin Steward A Day Off?

tikimon

Just wondering how many out there really give their cabin steward a day or two off when you cruise? On a 7 day we always give him or her at least 1 but mostly 2 days off from cleaning our cabin, just give us clean towels and washclothes and toliet paper if needed and we are good to go. It's not that we don't want the service and yes I know we have already paid for it in the cruise fare, it's just the fact that we like to give a break to as many of these hard working people we can. Even not cleaning our cabin for 2 days, they still have alot to do, maybe it helps them to get it done a little faster. Plus with the days off we can have our cabin all day to enjoy if we so desire without having to get out so it can be cleaned. And no we do not spend all of our time in the cabin. ;)

I have told cabin stewards to "don't worry about that" and they still keep my room spotless and cleaned. I swear sometimes I think that they just stand around the corner out of site waiting for me to leave my cabin so they can go in and pick up after me. Scarry sometimes how they do it.

I too have thought of telling the stewards to not come clean for a day and put the do not disturb sign out but then thought it might get them in trouble or they might think we went overboard and busted in the door...lol. I have seen cabins where the do not disturb signs seemed to always be out.

I have told cabin stewards to "don't worry about that" and they still keep my room spotless and cleaned. I swear sometimes I think that they just stand around the corner out of site waiting for me to leave my cabin so they can go in and pick up after me. Scarry sometimes how they do it.

lol ...i have too......but the poor stewards that suppose to keep my DS and his friends room clean........it drives the stewards banana's because they stay up all night and sleep in at least until 3pm

By skipping one cabin really isn't giving them a break if you think about it. They tag team it & get it done in 5 minutes so they get an extra 5 minutes to put their feet up???? I don't get it.

It takes them longer than 5 minutes to clean each cabin, IME.

I did it bc it's not fair that I overslept and was going to cause my steward to have to work late so I told her just to give us clean towels and we'd be set. She cleaned our cabin anyways.

I havent asked for them to take a day off but I have told them there is no need for towel animals, I told our last cabin steward we have seen them all so its not important to us. He said " you havent seen mine ... and he was right he gave us a couple that i have not seen before. Loved my turtle..

2173667520097654989S425x425Q85.jpg

and my frog

2853717410097654989S425x425Q85.jpg

On a Holland America ship and the port was Bali (Indonesia), I, and many other guests, told our Indonesian stewards to not worry about the cabin during the morning and afternoon so that they could have more shore time visiting with friends and relatives who had come to the port to visit with them. The stewards were most appreciative!

My last cabin steward was too busy taking his own days off, guess he was just slow or had too many cabins. skipped turn down 3 nights and cleaning one morning.

Nope, why would I give him more time off?

:eek: Did you complain and/or downgrade his tips?

even if i did have a brain freeze and say no to the stewards..i think the wife would rip me a new one for passing up housekeeping.:mad:

Or make you clean it. :p

I'm glad the stewards have switched to towel animals. 16 years ago on Sensation ours was making them from my nightgowns. It was kinda creepy! :eek:

Speaking of towel animals, we were on the Glory 3 years ago, came back into the cabin one night after being out to find something on our bed that was in the shape of a womens bottom private part wearing my sunglasses, my wife asked me what is that supposed to be? I said I don't know but I know what it looks like, we just put it on the back of the couch and kept it the rest of the week laughing at it evey night! Never did find out what it was supposed to be :confused:

Two eves I was in the cabin, not feeling too well and just told the steward I didn't need turn down...she was OK with it & handed me towels and chocolates. I don't think giving them advance notice would work as they do work together down the hall and would probably have more trouble remembering whose cabin not to do. We make sure we are up & out so they can do the morning cabin cleaning. If I slept in and left the DND sign on, I wouldnt expect them to come back later tho.

Hmmm never thought of that, but like someone else mentioned, what if their boss came by to check the rooms? What if everyone said 'take the day off'? What would they do? lol Besides, since these individuals are such great hard working people, I think they take pride in doing their work and will do it anyway. Wish I had that kind of work ethic, haha. :)

The best thing you can do for your cabin steward is to praise him in the comment sections of the cruise review form. Mention him by name. They use things like that to reward the staff with days off, time off, promotions, etc.

Telling him he can bend the rules on his paid duties may confuse the whole matter.

I often make my own bed and I never leave my things laying around. The only thing I need daily are clean towels and maybe the trash dumped. We always clean up after ourselves and I thought almost everyone else did too. :confused:

I often make my own bed and I never leave my things laying around. The only thing I need daily are clean towels and maybe the trash dumped. We always clean up after ourselves and I thought almost everyone else did too. :confused:

Imagine the savings if we all did that. Were all footing the bill in the end.

Archived