First time cruisers needing advice

happytravellers2

My wife and I are both turning 50 late next year and our 25th wedding anniversary is in January 2011.

We are planning an extended holiday, part of which is to be a week Caribbean cruise - which will be our first cruise.

We are not party animals, but are certainly not solitary people - we tend to be early risers and relatively early to bed (compared to the night owls) - we love long walks on the beach, eating and drinking at beach/sea side cafes/bars/restaurants, watching the sunset with a cocktail.

When on holiday we will generally try to find local eateries and love to try different foods - good, well cooked food is more important to us than big buffets of average food.

Advice on which cruise line and route would be very appreciated. We are planning on spending 2 weeks in Mexico so have been thinking of eastern or southern caribbean for the cruise.

Thanks in advance

Any cruise will give you the activities (or lack thereof) that you want. Even on ships with tons of things to do, you don't have to do any more than you want! (We're sort of "early to bed" sort of folks, too!)

However, the food on the mass market lines is remarkably boring nowadays... A "higher end" line will give you a better dining experience.

Get a guidebook on your ports...then, you 'll have the info you need to venture out to local restaurants and sights. The books tell you about the beaches, and which one is best for swimming, sunning, watersports, kids.....

Enjoy the planning!

From your description of yourselves, I'm surprised you have nevr taken a cruise!

We are aboard the Carnival Fantasy from New Orleans to Progreso & Cozumel next month. Not our first cruise and definitely not our last - I home!

My suggestion is to book a balcony if you can swing it.

Our first cruise was a small ship - So small that when I was in bed, my feet hit the wall as well as my head (5'10") and if my wife wanted to change, I had to either be in bed, or in the head (bathroom) and it was soooooo small that I could brush my teeth, shower and take a ........ at the same time! Small as it was, we are hooked on cruising! This will be our 6th.

Mostly eastern and southern carribean, so watch for post from others that have done the Mexican ports.

Have a good time!

Steve

:cool::cool:

I would book a semi newer, nicer ship, not one of the smaller in the fleet, to give you a better impression of cruising.

Celebrity Soltice is supposed to be a beautiful new ship... but even older ships like Voyager, 1999, in the RCL line are wow.

Carnival isnt wow, but some book them because they have cheaper early saver rates, but be aware they come with all kinds of strings attached.

Most ships have a walking track which you can go up on top of the ship and walk early in the morning and watch the ocean while you walk. Not the beach, but kinda nice. Or sit on top by the pool with a cup of coffee and watch the sun come up. Some prefer to do this on their balcony, but I like being up top.

...Our first cruise was a small ship - So small that when I was in bed, my feet hit the wall as well as my head (5'10") and if my wife wanted to change, I had to either be in bed, or in the head (bathroom) and it was soooooo small that I could brush my teeth, shower and take a ........ at the same time! Small as it was, we are hooked on cruising! This will be our 6th.

:cool::cool:

Don't let this scare you - the cabins on most ships around today are plenty large - especially for 2. DH & I have never had a space problem. We do always book a balcony - its a nice place to hang out.

Many of the ships have several dining venues - some included some require a small fee - they are a nice alternative to the large MDR and/or buffet.

As far as Eastern or Southern - don't sweat it too much - My bet is once you have done one you will booking the other!

Congrats on the 25th - we are celebrating ours in December.

Thanks for the tips - cb at sea: when you say "higher end" lines which ones do you mean?

We will definitely get a balcony cabin as suggested.

We did once before book a cruise from Durban to Mauritius on one of the MSC ships - but unfortunately the boat broke down during its Mediterranean season and didn't make it! We did get our money back.

Thanks for the tips - cb at sea: when you say "higher end" lines which ones do you mean?.

The higher end cruiselines are Regent (my favorite), Oceania, Seabourn, Crystal, and a few others. There are some big differences between the mainstream cruises and the luxury cruises.

One of the differences is cost. Whether it's worth it to you depends on what is important to you and what you are willing to spend.

Most things on these luxury cruises are inclusive - which means you won't have a crew member hovering next to you with a pen and paper for you to sign for every single bottled water or Coke you consume. I LOVE this freedom, as it almost makes me feel as if I am a guest on a private yacht rather than being reminded by signing for something every time I turn around that I am a paying customer. Beer and wine (and it's good wine!) is free with meals and at lots of parties and events onboard. When you arrive on Regent you get a bar in your room pre-stocked with your favorite liquor/wine...and this is included at no extra charge. So you could easily go through an entire cruise and never buy booze. Bottled water and soda is free, and it's waiting for you all over the ship. Tips are included, none of those envelopes at the end.

But what's more important is the difference in service (they all somehow know your name and remember your preferences) and even more important to me is the huge difference in quality of food. Since I love really good food and wine and I can't stand buffets...we almost always sail high end cruises. It costs more but it's worth it to us. It's like the difference between going to a nice restaurant and going to an "oh my god that was amazing" restaurant.

Not everybody agrees, and some people don't think the cost difference is worth it. And besides, a lot of people love buffets!

But all cruises are wonderful, just being on a cruiseship is a joyful experience. So no matter what you choose you'll have a great time.

Thanks to those who have given advice.

I see there is quire aprice difference between the Reagent, Crystal etc, and the RCI, Celebrity etc lines.

Comments from anyone about the difference between Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Princess?

And Eastern Caribbean v Southern Caribbean as a route.

Thanks in advance

Thanks to those who have given advice.

I see there is quire aprice difference between the Reagent, Crystal etc, and the RCI, Celebrity etc lines.

Comments from anyone about the difference between Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Princess?

And Eastern Caribbean v Southern Caribbean as a route.

Thanks in advance

I don't think there is much difference between Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Princess. They are all fine cruise lines, where you'll get good value for your money. There indeed is a large difference between the Regent and crystal lines, and these others...and frankly, while you may feel much more pampered, I'm not entirely sure it's worth the huge price.

I think since you've not cruised either itinerary, there won't be much difference for you. Have a great cruise!

Holland America is another line you might want to consider. Their ships are small compared to some of the mega ships out there (current largest ship has about 2000 passengers), but their service is said to be very good, as is the food and the staterooms are larger than the norm, plus almost all staterooms have a bathtub/shower instead of just a shower. Depending on the ship you go on, there's often a choice of one or two 'premium' restaurants for a small surcharge that offers something extra over what you'd find in the main dining room and the Lido restaurant. They also offer a very extensive room service menu, including offering a full dinner menu of whatever is being served in the main dining room.

We have yet to go on Holland America (our first cruise with them leaves in one month!!!) but we've been incredibly impressed with almost everything we've read about the cruiseline, as well as how loyal and well travelled the people on the Holland America forums are on these boards.

Now... having said that, you'll find a certain amount of brand loyalty with just about every cruise line. What might be a perfect choice for one family/couple/person might be a hellish trip for another. For us, having a quieter, low key ship, without hairy back contests, or loud music, or constant announcements over the PA was important, as is the quality of the food, service, staterooms and the itinerar - not to mention the price.

In general, cruiselines are broken down into 'luxury', 'premium' and 'mass market'. From what I've read, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, NCL are mass market lines. Princess, Celebrity and Holland America are considered premium lines and luxury lines include companies like Regent, Seabourn, etc.

We're very pleased with our choice of Holland America. I've cruised twice before with Royal Caribbean - and I had a wonderful time, but I was not blown away by the food or service on either trip. For us, the Eurodam and the Eastern Caribbean itinerary are a good fit for our needs and our preferences, and will be a wonderful way to celebrate our 10th anniversary (we're both 43 and our son, age 5, will be coming as well).

I don't think there is much difference between Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Princess. They are all fine cruise lines, where you'll get good value for your money. There indeed is a large difference between the Regent and crystal lines, and these others...and frankly, while you may feel much more pampered, I'm not entirely sure it's worth the huge price.

I think since you've not cruised either itinerary, there won't be much difference for you. Have a great cruise!

You nailed the perfect answer here.

I do agree that HAL ,Celebrity or Princess would best fit what you describe you are looking for at a reasonably price. Which ever you choose do plan to go to their speciality restaurants with an extra charge once or twice during your cruise. Eastern Caribbean is nice but if you can swing 10 nights or even 14 nights I would suggest the southern Caribbean as the best itinearies. Enjoy your holiday!:)

In reading your description of yourselves, I would suggest that Holland America would be a perfect fit for you. We celebrated our 25th by going on our cruise, we are in our mid 50's and from the minute we stepped on the ship we felt like we had "come home". It fit us like a glove, from the service, the food, the beautiful artwork and decor and all the amenities. I am quite sure you would feel the same way.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise no matter which line you choose.

Archived