Disembarkement in Puerto Rico -airport

tryptaker

I will be going on my first cruise and am wondering if when the ship docks in Puerto Rico (upon return) do I have time to catch a noon flight out of San Juan? Trying to decide if we should stay overnight that day or if time will allow us to get to the airport for this flight.

I agree with the post on getting a cab. One, you can get one really easy and two, you will get to the airport before the big transfer buses get there and you will be through agriculture check and TSA faster. Last March, the TSA was really slow. We lucked out with no waiting since we were one of the first off and had a limo.

Warning - leaving San Juan after any cruise ship disembarks floods the airport with passengers. Last visit was a nightmare - so crowded we had to sit on the floor of the terminal like cattle waiting for the hammer.

Stay at least one night and check other cruise lines to avoid the madness. Decompress a couple of days in a nice resort. Leave when the cruise ships are gone.

Zouave

Sundays at the San Juan airport are a nightmare! :eek: Unless you are in the first group to disembark and get there VERY early there are long lines for agriculture inspection, check in and security, the longest I have ever seen at any airport! Next time I will get a hotel room and fly home the next day.

We stayed over two nights in the Condado Beach area after one of our southern Caribbean cruises. I felt like we got to see San Juan that way. The first cruise we took out of San Juan we had shuttles to and from the airport the day we arrived and the day we left. We did not get to see much of the city at all.

But if time were a factor, I would not hesitate to book a noon flight. Just have good insurance that will pay for delays and flight changes in case something keeps your ship from docking on time.

We had an evening flight last year, day pass at the Marriott in Isla Verde, no lines, airport empty by that time. This year we're doing a 2:40pm.......

not happy with the potential crowd but we all must be back for Monday and labor day ! "The things you have to put up with to cruise" !!!!:D

Our experience was interesting. We were probably one of the first 25 off the ship. As we were looking for a taxi, the San Juan taxi system decided to go on strike right then and there. The situation was getting very heated, so we walked quickly away from the situation in the opposite direction. Three blocks away, a cabbie asked us if we needed a ride to the airport. Of course we said yes. On the way, we mentioned the strike, and he said "what strike?". He hadn't heard about it yet, it was that spur of the moment. We gave him extra to get us to the airport, after which he joined the other strikers. It made national news for days after that as the situation became violent. Many missed their flights of course.

Anyway, I'd leave a little extra room between disembarkation and flight time. You never know.

Archived