New Diamond Benefits-a report

mpbmark

Maybe I'm missing something Mark, but what ship were you on where you were allowed access to the CL as a D+? When was your last cruise?

Gina

I'm sorry, you did misunderstand. Or maybe I wasn't clear.

I just got off the Mariner today, 9/13. I am providing information regarding the D benefits (RCCL's words, not mine).

I am a Diamond so I was not able to utilize the CL on this cruise. D and D+ could go to either the CL or the Diamond events. I was able to use the CL last April on the Radiance.

Sorry for any confusion.

This is rather off-topic, but that Melodies room is a really awful little room. Low-ceilinged and crowded, it lacks all the grandeur or the main dining room. In this small room, the dining tables, chairs, and curtains look tacky instead of formal.

True observations, but there are very few areas on the ship that are as formal or that have a higher ceiling than a 3 level dining room. As stated, it wasn't crowded because it wasn't being used. I really didn't notice the curtains. At least the room had windows, something the CL and the Dragon's Lair are missing.

We sailed on a holiday week (never again), and we were assigned to dinner in that little off-shoot room. It definitely felt like sitting at the kids' table. Because of that awful seating assignment, we have decided never again to use traditional dining. We might end up with a bad table once or twice in the course of a week, but at least we won't be stuck there every night of the cruise!
I couldn't agree more with your statement as I would also feel cheated if I were assigned to that room for dinner. Frankly, I assumed it was some type of meeting room. It never occurred to me that they would put people in there for dinner.

I suppose my larger point is that I can't imagine anyone thinking that breakfast in this room would be anything special. It's more of an insult. I'd much rather sit in the main dining room.
It wasn't anything special but if you wanted a "continental style" breakfast, it was quick and definitely not crowded like the Windjammer. Of course, it lacked a full breakfast selection, but I thought it was similar to my limited CL experience on the Radiance last April. That was my only opportunity to use the CL and I'm basing my comparisons/comments on that experience.

We are just back from the first Freedom cruise since the new policy went into effect. Diamond plus members were only allowed in the Diamond Lounge--not in the Concierge Lounge. Someone had posted earlier before we left that C&A told them "diamond plus members could go wherever they wanted". Not so. I asked Willie if that was fleet wide or on a ship-by-ship basis and he said fleet wide. The Diamond lounge held about 40 comfortably. There were 68 D+ on board and over 200 Diamond. They opened Cloud Nine (holds about 30 comfortably). Since we went to the D lounge nightly, I don't know where everyone else went. I did not witness anyone pitching a "hissy fit" about anything so I guess it went OK. The P, D, D+ brunch was held the last day at 930 for breakfast/brunch. We were not able to go but the feedback from someone who did was less than desirable. No bloody Marys, no mimosas, no officers or CD and no reports on anything, and lackluster food was the report we heard.

Seems like the inconsistency continues. Different rules for different ships. Obviously someone on the Freedom of the Seas didn't read the memo from Miami. The cruise lines President has repeated numerous times that Diamond Plus would in fact be allowed in the Concierge Lounge on Freedom Class ships.

True observations, but there are very few areas on the ship that are as formal or that have a higher ceiling than a 3 level dining room. As stated, it wasn't crowded because it wasn't being used. I really didn't notice the curtains. At least the room had windows, something the CL and the Dragon's Lair are missing.

I couldn't agree more with your statement as I would also feel cheated if I were assigned to that room for dinner. Frankly, I assumed it was some type of meeting room. It never occurred to me that they would put people in there for dinner.

It wasn't anything special but if you wanted a "continental style" breakfast, it was quick and definitely not crowded like the Windjammer. Of course, it lacked a full breakfast selection, but I thought it was similar to my limited CL experience on the Radiance last April. That was my only opportunity to use the CL and I'm basing my comparisons/comments on that experience.

We were assigned to that room for dinner on a holiday-week cruise -- I doubt it is pressed into dinner service on a regular basis. I suspect they might occasionally offer it to a group traveling together; if we'd been with a large group -- a club or a large group of friends -- we might've been happy to sacrafice atmosphere for a private room.

As I said, I will never again sail during a holiday. Not only did we pay a premium price, the ship was more full than we'd experienced in the past (probably more 3rd and 4th passengers in cabins, mostly children). We tried to get a better dining room assignment, but -- you guessed it -- holiday week! Not possible.

I am not a person to let something small ruin my trip, and we did have a good time on that cruise, BUT dinner was a drag every single night, especially since we'd packed nice clothes and anticipated that dinner would be a highlight. We considered it a learning experience: avoid holidays, be ready to roll with the punches, and the Windjammer is a decent spot for dinner!

It seems to me, though, that in having breakfast here, RC is going to a great deal of trouble (setting up breakfast in a different location every day -- although as I say that, I realize that if the room isn't being used for dinner every night, they probably leave the set-up intact all day), and they're putting their most loyal customers in a horrible room. If it's going to be a perk, it should be in a better place. I agree that the Dragons' Lair is also a poor choice. One of the specialty restaurants seems obvious to me; they're attractive, small, and near the food preparation.

There were no alcoholic drinks offered or available at breakfast in Melodies. I don't recall them being available in the CL in the morning, but I could be wrong about that as I only went for the cappuccino when I had access last April. I did get the impression that D and D+ could go into the Diamond "lounges" and D+ was definitely allowed access to the CL during this last cruise.

You misunderstood truffles' post.

She was talking about the one-time Platinum/Diamond/Diamond+ brunch event.

The Dragon's Lair was the overflow lounge on Mariner before the changes and when it was full, it was still not a good room for the party.

This has either changed lately or is not correct. We were on the Mariner, and the overflow lounge was the Cloud Nine (& sometimes the Jazz Club when really busy) on deck 14. It was actually better than the Concierge Lounge because of the windows and the view.

This has either changed lately or is not correct. We were on the Mariner, and the overflow lounge was the Cloud Nine (& sometimes the Jazz Club when really busy) on deck 14. It was actually better than the Concierge Lounge because of the windows and the view.

It absolutely *does* vary - based (I believe) on how many D/D+ there are on that particular cruise.

I was on the Mariners in May for the Pacific NW cruise (diversion from the Mexican Riviera). I am a Diamond, and can verify that they used the Dragon's Liar as the overflow lounge for nightly evening event. My husband and I enjoyed the wine as well as the hot hors d'oeuvre

offered. It also has chocolate dipped starwberries.

From OP, it appears that RCCL has replaced hors d'oeuvre with nuts and stuff - this is very disappointing!!!!

It is correct. When we sailed Mariner out of Port Canaveral, the overflow was in Cloud 9. I don't know when it changed to the Dragon's Lair, but that's where it was in April and last week. I find the place pretty depressing, but the CL doesn't have windows either, so in that regard it's a wash.

we were on freedom BEFORE sept and the rule change - just diamond- and were not allowed in c.l. - only d.l.- no big deal but i thought that rule would not take effect til sept 1 and after departures..................?

As a Diamond, and now a Diamond+, I have never been given a key to the CL on Freedom Class ships, only the DL, I thought from Adam G's emails that this was going to be an extra perk, D+ now allowed in CL and DL:confused:

We had no desire to leave the DL for the CL. The DL is lovely with the wall of windows, space for a lot of literature, two terminals, nice coffee machine, etc. The only downside is that there are still too many eligible to fit in and other venues must be opened, etc.

We had no desire to leave the DL for the CL. The DL is lovely with the wall of windows, space for a lot of literature, two terminals, nice coffee machine, etc. The only downside is that there are still too many eligible to fit in and other venues must be opened, etc.

But see...I thought this was why D+ were now being given access to the CL on Freedom class. There are so many Ds and D+s that if some D+s opt to go to the CL it will even out the crowds. I would certainly go to the one that is least crowded....I've seen the ocean my whole life so the view isn't as important to me as those from the north or inland. I've noticed that suite guests tend to under use the CL. But if no one were in the CL, as was the case on my very first cruise, I'd go to where the crowd is. :)

Gina

[quote name='mpbmark']I'm sorry, you did misunderstand. Or maybe I wasn't clear.

I just got off the Mariner today, 9/13. I am providing information regarding the D benefits (RCCL's words, not mine).

I am a Diamond so I was not able to utilize the CL on this cruise. D and D+ could go to either the CL or the Diamond events. I was able to use the CL last April on the Radiance.

Sorry for any confusion.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying this for me. Now I understand. I am so used to reading about what's going on with the Freedom class that I was thrown off a bit.

Gina

[COLOR=Indigo]Coffee in Melodies was MUCH better than the sludge served in the Windjammer. One of the officers who I talked to at breakfast said the problem was with the water pressure. He stated that pumping water from the tanks in the bottom of the ship up to the Windjammer (sounded like 12 or 13 decks total) caused the coffee to be of poor quality in the Windjammer. He stated Royal was working on it through a vendor and new machines were being tried. I'm not an engineer so I don't know if this makes any sense, but that was his story and he was sticking with it.

[COLOR=Black]I would have to throw a "flag" on this. If the water pressure in the restrooms, galley for the Windjammer etc. is fine, then the water pressure at the coffee machines would be acceptable. I would surmise that the problem lies with the coffee syrup they use, rather than fresh brewed as they should be using. BTW, I am an engineer.

Hypo
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[quote name='kewlguy']Now this may sound like a conspiracy theory to some but maybe the idea is to make the experience unpleasant, therefore giving them an excuse to cancel it. With the excuse that it was underutilized. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Black"]I was thinking the same thing.[/COLOR]

[quote name='mommabean']But see...I thought this was why D+ were now being given access to the CL on Freedom class. There are so many Ds and D+s that if some D+s opt to go to the CL it will even out the crowds. I would certainly go to the one that is least crowded....I've seen the ocean my whole life so the view isn't as important to me as those from the north or inland. I've noticed that suite guests tend to [U]under use [/U]the CL. But if no one were in the CL, as was the case on my very first cruise, I'd go to where the crowd is. :)

Gina[/quote]

Well, obviously everyone is not on the same page here....(as usual). It certainly "reads" that way but is not being interpreted that way.

[quote name='truffles2']Well, obviously everyone is not on the same page here....(as usual). It certainly "reads" that way but is not being interpreted that way.[/quote]

[B]Amen to this. I had a funny feeling even though AG is saying D+ is allowed in both CL and/or DL, it was not going to happen. The Liberty of the Seas is doing the same thing with D+ as the Freedom of the Seas. If you're D+ and not in a suite, you go to the DL period. No access to CL. [/B]

[B]This is fine with me, but it is not what Adam Goldstein is saying or their website is saying.[/B]

[quote name='grooveo']Just off the Serenade, and I found the Diamond lounge lacking as well. We tried it for a couple of days, and then gave up.

The Serenade was lovely, but Royal has pulled too many of the "little" things that made them special.[/quote]

Where did they have the Diamond Lounge on the Serenade. We leave on her Saturday.

[quote name='mpbmark'][COLOR=Blue] [/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] [/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] I guess can best be described as a feeling of being "taken for granted". [/COLOR][/quote]

How did they take you for granted? Did they force you to attend and have a glass of free wine? I don't get it. It's a perk and if you don't like it don't go.

[quote name='steponboard']How did they take you for granted? Did they force you to attend and have a glass of free wine? I don't get it. It's a perk and if you don't like it don't go.[/quote]Now that was a useless comment that added nothing to this thread. How about if you don't like what folks are posting don't post!

Archived