New Diamond Benefits-a report

mpbmark

[quote name='DHADEN']This has either changed lately or is not correct. We were on the Mariner, and the overflow lounge was the Cloud Nine (& sometimes the Jazz Club when really busy) on deck 14. It was actually better than the Concierge Lounge because of the windows and the view.[/quote]

Bob's info is in fact correct in May the overflow was in the Dragon Lair.

[quote name='steponboard']How did they take you for granted? Did they force you to attend and have a glass of free wine? I don't get it. It's a perk and if you don't like it don't go.[/quote]

[quote name='jtutak']Now that was a useless comment that added nothing to this thread. How about if you don't like what folks are posting don't post![/quote]

[quote name='Puffinater']And your comment serves what purpose? Take your own advice.[/quote]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]Lets not turn this into a p*****g contest. The post is supposed to be about information. However, as the OP, I did reserve the right to voice an opinion. If you don't agree, fine, but let’s not argue here and turn this into one of threads that no one wants to read.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]As for the comment re: "taken for granted", you're right. I didn't have to attend and for the most part, I didn't. I want to 2 night affairs so I could make a report. I found them disappointing when compared to the CL offer. As many have stated in multiple posts, a lot of us worked hard and spent considerable money on Royal and were promised a benefit for loyalty. This has been removed and replaced with a benefit of considerably less value, in my opinion. I don't cruise for the free booze, but, on Radiance last April, when I had my only access to a CL, Hot hors d’oeuvres[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] and a mixed drink were a very nice way to end the day. Not now.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]As for breakfast, I did go there several times and found it satisfactory. Not necessarily a needed perk as on Radiance, I simply went for the cappuccino and had breakfast later in the Windjammer, but nice and quiet. Of course, the quiet could be due to under-utilization. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='kewlguy']Now this may sound like a conspiracy theory to some but maybe the idea is to make the experience unpleasant, therefore giving them an excuse to cancel it. With the excuse that it was underutilized. Just a thought.[/quote]

funny, i thought the same thing.......could we all be cynical???:confused::eek::D-NAH! never!

[quote name='mpbmark'][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]Lets not turn this into a p*****g contest. The post is supposed to be about information. However, as the OP, I did reserve the right to voice an opinion. If you don't agree, fine, but let’s not argue here and turn this into one of threads that no one wants to read.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]As for the comment re: "taken for granted", you're right. I didn't have to attend and for the most part, I didn't. I want to 2 night affairs so I could make a report. I found them disappointing when compared to the CL offer. As many have stated in multiple posts, a lot of us worked hard and spent considerable money on Royal and were promised a benefit for loyalty. This has been removed and replaced with a benefit of considerably less value, in my opinion. I don't cruise for the free booze, but, on Radiance last April, when I had my only access to a CL, Hot hors d’oeuvres[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] and a mixed drink were a very nice way to end the day. Not now.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]As for breakfast, I did go there several times and found it satisfactory. Not necessarily a needed perk as on Radiance, I simply went for the cappuccino and had breakfast later in the Windjammer, but nice and quiet. Of course, the quiet could be due to under-utilization. [/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

well, I for one appreciate the info,.,.....not sure if i will attend when on Ex in November, but i suppose i will at least a couple times just to observe..(ok, and my favorite word is "free").........thanks for taking the time to investigate and report!

Got off the Mariner on Sept 6th. We were under the old rules for that cruise. The
Dragon's Lair was the overflow lounge for the CL.

Under the new regime, this is what I will do. I am Diamond Plus, so have lots of
choices. I will go to the CL for a couple of drinks before dinner. Then about a
hour before dinner, I will go to the Dragon's Lair for red wine.

I LOVE the Dragon's Lair. I am a halloween person and am an old bat too. So
that is perfect for me.

[SIZE=3]I guess the thing I that bothers me about this arrangement is that, at least in the cocktail set up, I would miss the hors d'oeuvres that we have come to expect. I can do without the free cocktails, making do with the wine, but lack of fingers foods and that feeling of being treated so special will hurt. I had never taken advantage of the expresso machines, in fact never attended a diamond lounge breakfast, but it doesn't sound any different than just eating in the MTD for breakfast. Why bother. The great thing about diamond lounge at cocktail hour was the quiet subdued atmosphere without the noise of the crowds at other venues, the excellent service of the concierge and free cocktails.[/SIZE]

September 6 -September 13th Cruise date.

Breakfast was in a small side dining room and comparable to the Serenade of the Seas when we sailed to Hawaii. Waiters were there to help with water and juices. I felt that it was a acceptable changes from access to the CL. But... the letter we received stated
"Come mingle with other members in the morning. An Exclusive Continental Breakfast will be set up everyday from 8 am to 10am in the La Lotte Dining Room on Deck 3, portside. A dedicated crew member will be available tomorrow and each sea day afterwards to talk with you and address your needs."

There was no dedicated member or anyone to address anything. I expected to be able to get ice show tickets, and ask them to make reservations at the spa or Portofinos. I also would have like priority tender tickets if we had tendered due to a physical problem standing in long lines. After 21 cruises and 18 years supporting Royal, I have come to miss the good old days of a little special treatment. The conceirge always had some of the best times reserved for Diamond, D+ and Suite guests. We did not eat at Portofinos this time because the time slots were gone by the time we realized that we had to make reservations on our own. I feel deceived because we were specifically told by RCCL and C & A personnel that we would continue to have these benefits.

The exclusive Nightly Diamond VIP Event was the same as previously described. We were allowed 1 glass of the house wine. Soft drinks and cocktails were 25% off plus gratuity. We never saw any snacks or food being served. There were not a lot of people who attended except on formal night. I can see this just just quietly going away.

The value book was again worthless. It was cheaper to buy the photo package than to use the coupons for the casual white background pictures. I miss my free photo.

That being said, we still really enjoyed the cruise. The activities staff was the best. Mr. Sergio, Natalie, Lulu and Asada were really lively and fun people to be around. The islands were great, especially Dominica. Levi Bumpiing gave us the greatest tour we have ever had. We plan on returning to Dominica soon. The Sunset sail in Aruba is not to be missed.

All in all I say go on the AOS expecting nothing and you won't be disappointed and will enjoy the things you do experience. Diamond now means nothing.

[quote name='MrsPete']This is rather off-topic, but that Melodies room is a really awful little room. Low-ceilinged and crowded, it lacks all the grandeur or the main dining room. In this small room, the dining tables, chairs, and curtains look tacky instead of formal.

We sailed on a holiday week (never again), and we were assigned to dinner in that little off-shoot room. It [I]definitely [/I]felt like sitting at the kids' table. Because of that awful seating assignment, we have decided never again to use traditional dining. We might end up with a bad table once or twice in the course of a week, but at least we won't be stuck there every night of the cruise!

I suppose my larger point is that I can't imagine anyone thinking that breakfast in this room would be anything special. It's more of an insult. I'd much rather sit in the main dining room.[/quote]

MrsPete,

We are sailing on Mariner in November. Are you saying that if you have main (traditional) seating on your reservation that your party will be signed a table in this awful side room?

Bob

This is what happens when you do something half a** .and in reading this thread that is what it sounds like RCL is doing. It is painful to read some of the thread not because of the posters but what the posters were saying.

This if the first year we have not taken more then one cruise on RCL. We decided to see what else is out there.. We are one cruise away from diamond no rush now. We decided to give RCL and us a rest from one another until we sail on Oasis in 11/10 call it a trial seperation and to quote the old RCL "Get out there"

Perhaps it would be a good idea to print off Royal's policy on D+ use of the concierge lounge, per their own boss, and take it with you when you sail. Maybe this will encourage the staff to find out the true policy, and accommodate those eligible.

[quote name='BecciBoo'][SIZE=3]I guess the thing I that bothers me about this arrangement is that, at least in the cocktail set up, I would miss the hors d'oeuvres that we have come to expect. I can do without the free cocktails, making do with the wine, but lack of fingers foods and that feeling of being treated so special will hurt. I had never taken advantage of the expresso machines, in fact never attended a diamond lounge breakfast, but it doesn't sound any different than just eating in the MTD for breakfast. Why bother. The great thing about diamond lounge at cocktail hour was the quiet subdued atmosphere without the noise of the crowds at other venues, the excellent service of the concierge and free cocktails.[/SIZE][/quote]

Well, reports are that the new DL on Mariner is very subdued.:rolleyes: I have to say that I have seldom been in a subdued CL, though. It's always been a rolicking place at the cocktail hour.

[quote name='DENNIS MAYS']I LOVE the Dragon's Lair. I am a halloween person and am an old bat too. So
that is perfect for me.[/quote]

Oh, Barbara, you made me laugh!

[quote name='carolv712']The exclusive Nightly Diamond VIP Event was the same as previously described. [COLOR=red]We were allowed 1 glass of the house wine.[/COLOR] Soft drinks and cocktails were 25% off plus gratuity. We never saw any snacks or food being served. There were not a lot of people who attended except on formal night. I can see this just just quietly going away. [/quote]

One? You couldn't have had another one?:eek::eek:

Guest maddycat
[quote name='Hypo'][COLOR=indigo]Coffee in Melodies was MUCH better than the sludge served in the Windjammer. One of the officers who I talked to at breakfast said the problem was with the water pressure. He stated that pumping water from the tanks in the bottom of the ship up to the Windjammer (sounded like 12 or 13 decks total) caused the coffee to be of poor quality in the Windjammer. He stated Royal was working on it through a vendor and new machines were being tried. I'm not an engineer so I don't know if this makes any sense, but that was his story and he was sticking with it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=indigo][COLOR=black]I would have to throw a "flag" on this. If the water pressure in the restrooms, galley for the Windjammer etc. is fine, then the water pressure at the coffee machines would be acceptable. I would surmise that the problem lies with the coffee syrup they use, rather than fresh brewed as they should be using. BTW, I am an engineer.[/COLOR][COLOR=indigo]Hypo[/COLOR][/COLOR][/quote]

When we were on the Explorer in May they had new coffee machines in the Windjammer. The new machines used ground coffee instead of the syrup. The coffee was excellent. On previous Explorer cruises the coffee was so bad that we couldn't drink it. Great improvement. We were pleasantly surprised.

[quote name='carolv712']One? You couldn't have had another one?

No the limit was 1 glass. The bar tender said there was a limit of 1 glass and I believe the letter we received also state 1 drink per member on the AOS[/quote]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Sorry, but I cannot comment on whether there was a limit on the Mariner. It only took one glass of this very mediocre wine for me to determine I wasn't interested in re-ordering it. If that makes me a wine snob, so be it.[/FONT][/COLOR]

The Diamond event on the Explorer Sept 4th was pretty lively the few night we went up to check it out. It seemed to work fairly well. The concierge lounge was very busy(wall to wall) from opening and wound down an hour or so later.

[quote name='kennelgang']MrsPete,

We are sailing on Mariner in November. Are you saying that if you have main (traditional) seating on your reservation that your party will be signed a table in this awful side room?

Bob[/quote]Maybe.

We sailed at Thanksgiving, and -- as often happens on holiday weeks -- the ship was full. We did choose main seating, and we were assigned to a table in that awful side room. We were not able to change to a better table.

It is impossible for EVERYONE in main seating to be crammed into this horrible little room. But SOMEONE will have the bad luck to end up in there.

[SIZE=3]From the RCCL website[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#336699][B]Member Benefits as of September 1, 2009[/B][/COLOR]
Starting September 1[SIZE=1]st[/SIZE], 2009 Crown & Anchor Society offers the following benefits. Crown & Anchor members continue to receive valued benefits such as discounts on cruises, savings certificates and priority boarding and departure. Our Platinum and Diamond members also will continue to receive discounts on balcony and suite category staterooms including the recently introduced [URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=enhanced_program_for_suite_guests"][COLOR=#336699]upgraded services and amenities for suite guests[/COLOR][/URL].

For Diamond members, the changes include:
• A new exclusive nightly event for Diamond and Diamond Plus members to meet and mingle with other fellow members on ships without a Diamond Lounge. This will feature complimentary wine, champagne and a happy hour discount of 25% off beer, liquor and soda fountain drinks.
• A continental breakfast with a crew member available to provide services such as obtaining ice show tickets and other assistance.

Now we offer either the Diamond Lounge or a Diamond Event on every ship in our fleet. On ships with a Concierge Lounge, it will be limited to Diamond Plus and Suite guests.

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Royal Caribbean. For the convenience of all our Crown &Anchor members, the following chart outlines all benefits, starting September 1. [B]If you are cruising between now and September 1 and have questions about your benefits please contact the Crown & Anchor Society [/B]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[quote name='aqhacruiser'][SIZE=3]From the RCCL website[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#336699][B]Member Benefits as of September 1, 2009[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Starting September 1[SIZE=1]st[/SIZE], 2009 Crown & Anchor Society offers the following benefits. Crown & Anchor members continue to receive valued benefits such as discounts on cruises, savings certificates and priority boarding and departure. Our Platinum and Diamond members also will continue to receive discounts on balcony and suite category staterooms including the recently introduced [URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=enhanced_program_for_suite_guests"][COLOR=#336699]upgraded services and amenities for suite guests[/COLOR][/URL].

For Diamond members, the changes include:
• A new exclusive nightly event for Diamond and Diamond Plus members to meet and mingle with other fellow members on ships without a Diamond Lounge. This will feature complimentary wine, champagne and a happy hour discount of 25% off beer, liquor and soda fountain drinks.
• A continental breakfast with a crew member available to provide services such as obtaining ice show tickets and other assistance.

Now we offer either the Diamond Lounge or a Diamond Event on every ship in our fleet. On ships with a Concierge Lounge, it will be limited to Diamond Plus and Suite guests.

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Royal Caribbean. For the convenience of all our Crown &Anchor members, the following chart outlines all benefits, starting September 1. [B]If you are cruising between now and September 1 and have questions about your benefits please contact the Crown & Anchor Society [/B]
[/SIZE]

[/quote]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=red] DITTO -- Thanx for posting this Suzanne --- Corkey Carol[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='hshowalter']My wife & I were on the Grandeur 8-27-09 to 9-5-09 & are diamond & they had no diamond facilities. I hope when we go back 10-3-09: they will have the diamond event .[/QUOTE]

The new program started on cruises which began after 9/1 which would explain why you didn't notice any changes.

[FONT=Century Gothic]We were on the Majesty of the Seas on a Back 2 Back last week and the Diamond reception was held in the Viking Crown Lounge from 5PM-6PM every night overlooking the pool area (typically at sail away). The back half was available to all guests. Yes there was the "trail mix", along with Merlot, Chardonay, White Zinfandel and a house Champagne. The usual canapes were also offered. The beverage manager was in atttendance every night and was thrilled to offer this product since it was not offered before on this ship before. It was well attended and functioned as any other overflow lounge would have in the past with the exception of the hard liquor and beer. We still met some wonderful people and felt at home as if we were in any other Concierge overflow lounge and was greatlly apreciated. I have to say, my glass was never empty. All in all it still is a good perk and at the risk of being tarred and feathered RCCL still does a great job.[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]By the way, we ate in the dining room every night, The Garlic Tiger Shrimp, Roast Beef, Shrimp and Mahi Mahi Tempura, Shrimp Ravioli, Escargot, ALL of the salads, The Bread and everything else I ate there was wonderfully presented and [SIZE=3]delicious.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]life is too short, go on your cruise and enjoy. :)[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='bmazzo'][FONT=Century Gothic]We were on the Majesty of the Seas on a Back 2 Back last week and the Diamond reception was held in the Viking Crown Lounge from 5PM-6PM every night overlooking the pool area (typically at sail away). The back half was available to all guests. Yes there was the "trail mix", along with Merlot, Chardonay, White Zinfandel and a house Champagne. The usual canapes were also offered. The beverage manager was in atttendance every night and was thrilled to offer this product since it was not offered before on this ship before. It was well attended and functioned as any other overflow lounge would have in the past with the exception of the hard liquor and beer. We still met some wonderful people and felt at home as if we were in any other Concierge overflow lounge and was greatlly apreciated. I have to say, my glass was never empty. All in all it still is a good perk and at the risk of being tarred and feathered RCCL still does a great job.[/FONT]

[FONT=Century Gothic]By the way, we ate in the dining room every night, The Garlic Tiger Shrimp, Roast Beef, Shrimp and Mahi Mahi Tempura, Shrimp Ravioli, Escargot, ALL of the salads, The Bread and everything else I ate there was wonderfully presented and [SIZE=3]delicious.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]life is too short, go on your cruise and enjoy. :)[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

This sounds much nicer than what was offered on the Mariner, but I was on the first cruise to offer the changed benefits. Maybe RCCL is listening to comments and doing some fine tuning. Lets try and stay positive.

Archived