New Diamond Benefits-a report

mpbmark

Here is my report on the new "Diamond Benefits".

I just got off the Mariner sailing the Mexican Riviera from 9/6 through 9/13. To the best of my knowledge, this is one of the first cruises to implement the new "Benefits" and before the rumors get completely out of hand, let me share my experience. Keep in mind that the following represents the new program on the Mariner and may not be the same on other ships.

"Unique Diamond Breakfast"

For those Diamonds who had an opportunity, in the past, to utilize the Concierge Lounge (CL), you will feel relatively at home. On the Mariner, breakfast was served outside of the Rhapsody in Blue dining room located on deck three. Just before entering the dining room, there is a small conference room to the left called Melodies. This room housed the morning breakfast from 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM. Sea Pass cards were checked upon entrance. There was a supply of breads, bagels, rolls, fruits, cheeses and meats. Additionally, there were boxes of dry cereal and containers of yogurt. Finally, there were pastries at the end of the buffet table.

Coffee and orange juice were available. While I did not see anybody specifically identified as a concierge, the room usually had two waiters who poured the coffee and juice. Additionally, if you desired, they were able to go into the Rhapsody dining room and obtain other types of juices. Also, while there was no toaster available, they had no problem going into the dining room to toast a bagel if requested. I ate breakfast there on several mornings at various times and never saw more than eight people in the room. The location on deck three may have had some bearing on the usage of the room, but I have no way to confirm that suspicion. Unfortunately, there was no cappuccino machine but otherwise the breakfast was certainly adequate. For those who wanted a hot breakfast, the dining rooms and Windjammer are available. For a continental breakfast which is similar to the CL, the "Unique Diamond Breakfast" is certainly comparable.

"Nightly Diamond Event"

As good as the breakfast was, the nightly cocktail party was sadly lacking. The hours were from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM. Again, it was held on deck three on the main floor of the Dragon’s Lair nightclub. The Dragon's Lair is plainly marked and accessible from the fourth deck but that entrance is not open for the diamond cocktail party. Instead, you are required to descend one more deck and go around the corner at which point you will see a sign overhead saying Dragon's Lair. I attended the event on the first night and was there for approximately one hour. The room never had more than a dozen people at any time.

House wine was available (La Terra Merlot, White Zinfandel and Chardonnay) as was a house champagne. Since this was a nightclub, a full bar was available, as was bottled beer and soft drinks, at a price. All three of these items were charged at the normal rate plus a 15% gratuity less a 25% discount. The "munchies" was a trail mix of mostly raisins, peanuts, some unidentifiable green seeds and the occasional carob bit. As a nightclub, it is probably fine. As a room for a cocktail party, it takes on the appearance of a dungeon, as there are no windows, it is made to look like a cave and is dimly lit. I returned to the room one more time, on the second to last night, which also was the formal night. Four people were seated at one table. I understand from talking to others, that it was not really utilized.

I realize I have not kept my own personal opinions out of the above comments but, nevertheless, the point here is to provide the information. I did have an opportunity to express my displeasure with the arrangement when the LA/Future Cruise Ambassador came by during a breakfast one morning. She did claim that Royal Caribbean was very interested in feedback and she would pass along my comments which I guess can best be described as a feeling of being "taken for granted".

Ok, I'm sure this a dumb question, but is this the same conceirge evening cocktails that are available to guests staying in GS and above?

No. Full suite guests and Diamond Plus members of the Crown & Anchor Society (RCI's frequent cruiser program) have access to a Concierge lounge on Radiance, Voyager, Freedom and some Vision class ships. The new Diamond lounge was set up to accomodate Diamond members who have just been evicted from the CLs.

Mark, thanks for sharing your experience. I meant to check it out for myself, but after learning of the wine offerings (which were what I expected) decided not to.

If the new Diamond evening cocktail event is anything like the OP described, RCI will save a lot of money, because hardly anyone will bother to go. And I don't really see much advantage in the Diamond continental breakfast if there is no concierge there to help with ice show tickets, etc. Also if there is no espresso/cappuccino machine, one might as well go directly to the Windjammer where there is a much larger selection of food.

The OP speaks of Mariner. I wonder how things are going for Diamond level members on Freedom Class ships. I do appreciate the OP giving us a report of how things went on a Voyager Class ship.

I totally agree, the Dragon's Lair is not a very nice venue for the DL. However, on Indy and on the Mariner, prior to the change in policy, that is where the overflow lounge was...so that is no different.

On another note, Patty, congrat's on your grandchild. Hope to see you next September on Jewel.

Suz

If the new Diamond evening cocktail event is anything like the OP described, RCI will save a lot of money, because hardly anyone will bother to go. And I don't really see much advantage in the Diamond continental breakfast if there is no concierge there to help with ice show tickets, etc. Also if there is no espresso/cappuccino machine, one might as well go directly to the Windjammer where there is a much larger selection of food.

The OP speaks of Mariner. I wonder how things are going for Diamond level members on Freedom Class ships. I do appreciate the OP giving us a report of how things went on a Voyager Class ship.

Now this may sound like a conspiracy theory to some but maybe the idea is to make the experience unpleasant, therefore giving them an excuse to cancel it. With the excuse that it was underutilized. Just a thought.

As I understand it, Freedom Class ships will be the same, since they have a DL. There should be no changes at all. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now this may sound like a conspiracy theory to some but maybe the idea is to make the experience unpleasant, therefore giving them an excuse to cancel it. With the excuse that it was underutilized. Just a thought.

That's kind of what I was thinking as well.....

Agreed. Or, as with the C & A gifts being phased out since they didn't seem to be appreciated, the Diamond events may be cancelled if it's apparent that there are more complaints than praise. Just another thought.

Thanks for the post.

As someone who was interested in sailing with RCCL because the benefits were great to return customers, I am not finding this to be the case as of late. I have the RCCL Visa card, and as soon as we cash in our rewards for our cruise next year, DH and I are going to branch out and try other lines. There is little to keep our loyalty to this line anymore, and I am looking forward to trying lines that have a more classy reputation, less children, and better food. I do not mind RCCL, in fact, I have thoroughly enjoyed cruising with them. However, there are other lines offering other things. I feel I may have outgrown this line, and they are not doing anything to seek out my business.

I totally agree, the Dragon's Lair is not a very nice venue for the DL. However, on Indy and on the Mariner, prior to the change in policy, that is where the overflow lounge was...so that is no different.

On another note, Patty, congrat's on your grandchild. Hope to see you next September on Jewel.

Suz

On the Indy on a TA last year, there were so many Ds and D+s (500), that they completely closed the D lounge, and used the main lounge (same deck as the Promenade), not the Dragon's Lair.

As for the ice show ticket question, I think I read somewhere that at least some ships were going away from the use of tickets completely.

We are just back from the first Freedom cruise since the new policy went into effect. Diamond plus members were only allowed in the Diamond Lounge--not in the Concierge Lounge. Someone had posted earlier before we left that C&A told them "diamond plus members could go wherever they wanted". Not so. I asked Willie if that was fleet wide or on a ship-by-ship basis and he said fleet wide. The Diamond lounge held about 40 comfortably. There were 68 D+ on board and over 200 Diamond. They opened Cloud Nine (holds about 30 comfortably). Since we went to the D lounge nightly, I don't know where everyone else went. I did not witness anyone pitching a "hissy fit" about anything so I guess it went OK. The P, D, D+ brunch was held the last day at 930 for breakfast/brunch. We were not able to go but the feedback from someone who did was less than desirable. No bloody Marys, no mimosas, no officers or CD and no reports on anything, and lackluster food was the report we heard.

Mark,

Thanks for taking the time for the review. A question about the coffee if you tried it. Is it closer to what is served in the dining room or the Windjammer?

I will miss the cappacino machine most of all!!

Coffee in Melodies was MUCH better than the sludge served in the Windjammer. One of the officers who I talked to at breakfast said the problem was with the water pressure. He stated that pumping water from the tanks in the bottom of the ship up to the Windjammer (sounded like 12 or 13 decks total) caused the coffee to be of poor quality in the Windjammer. He stated Royal was working on it through a vendor and new machines were being tried. I'm not an engineer so I don't know if this makes any sense, but that was his story and he was sticking with it.

We are just back from the first Freedom cruise since the new policy went into effect. Diamond plus members were only allowed in the Diamond Lounge--not in the Concierge Lounge. Someone had posted earlier before we left that C&A told them "diamond plus members could go wherever they wanted". Not so. I asked Willie if that was fleet wide or on a ship-by-ship basis and he said fleet wide. The Diamond lounge held about 40 comfortably. There were 68 D+ on board and over 200 Diamond. They opened Cloud Nine (holds about 30 comfortably). Since we went to the D lounge nightly, I don't know where everyone else went. I did not witness anyone pitching a "hissy fit" about anything so I guess it went OK. The P, D, D+ brunch was held the last day at 930 for breakfast/brunch. We were not able to go but the feedback from someone who did was less than desirable. No bloody Marys, no mimosas, no officers or CD and no reports on anything, and lackluster food was the report we heard.

There were no alcoholic drinks offered or available at breakfast in Melodies. I don't recall them being available in the CL in the morning, but I could be wrong about that as I only went for the cappuccino when I had access last April. I did get the impression that D and D+ could go into the Diamond "lounges" and D+ was definitely allowed access to the CL during this last cruise.

Coffee in Melodies was MUCH better than the sludge served in the Windjammer. One of the officers who I talked to at breakfast said the problem was with the water pressure. He stated that pumping water from the tanks in the bottom of the ship up to the Windjammer (sounded like 12 or 13 decks total) caused the coffee to be of poor quality in the Windjammer. He stated Royal was working on it through a vendor and new machines were being tried. I'm not an engineer so I don't know if this makes any sense, but that was his story and he was sticking with it.

There were no alcoholic drinks offered or available at breakfast in Melodies. I don't recall them being available in the CL in the morning, but I could be wrong about that as I only went for the cappuccino when I had access last April. I did get the impression that D and D+ could go into the Diamond "lounges" and D+ was definitely allowed access to the CL during this last cruise.

Maybe I'm missing something Mark, but what ship were you on where you were allowed access to the CL as a D+? When was your last cruise?

Gina

Is there somebody or somewhere that provides access to ice show tickets? When Diamonds had access to the DL, you could "reserve" ice show tickets. Has this gone the wayside with the rest of the cutbacks?

No tickets were needed to attend the show. And the one we attended wasn't even close to full. There were 4 offered during the course of the cruise.

Maybe I'm missing something Mark, but what ship were you on where you were allowed access to the CL as a D+? When was your last cruise?

Gina

This was Mariner, and he just disembarked (as did I). There's no Diamond Lounge on her, so D+ had full access to the CL.

Thanks for the report. We live on the west coast and like being able to drive to port. When we heard the Mariner was to be home ported in Los Angeles we were very happy. We enjoyed using the CL lounge. Now that that perk has been taken away we are looking at other cruise lines. We are even doing a 4 night on Carnival vs. a 5 on the Radiance during Halloween week.

We accumulated most of our 16 credits in 5 years. Even though we also went on other cruise lines. We now have very little reason to sail on RCI unless we fly to Florida and take one of the Freedom or Oasis class ships. And I am wondering if the Diamond lounge on those ships will have cheaper liquor and fewer appetizers.

I do not like bad wine or champagne even if it is free. So we will not be taking our one, two or three trips per year on the Mariner.

. . . On the Mariner, breakfast was served outside of the Rhapsody in Blue dining room located on deck three. Just before entering the dining room, there is a small conference room to the left called Melodies . . .
This is rather off-topic, but that Melodies room is a really awful little room. Low-ceilinged and crowded, it lacks all the grandeur or the main dining room. In this small room, the dining tables, chairs, and curtains look tacky instead of formal.

We sailed on a holiday week (never again), and we were assigned to dinner in that little off-shoot room. It definitely felt like sitting at the kids' table. Because of that awful seating assignment, we have decided never again to use traditional dining. We might end up with a bad table once or twice in the course of a week, but at least we won't be stuck there every night of the cruise!

I suppose my larger point is that I can't imagine anyone thinking that breakfast in this room would be anything special. It's more of an insult. I'd much rather sit in the main dining room.

Is there somebody or somewhere that provides access to ice show tickets? When Diamonds had access to the DL, you could "reserve" ice show tickets. Has this gone the wayside with the rest of the cutbacks?

I think most ships have done away with tickets and have the shows on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Archived