terrified! if u've been on Los Veranos Canopy Tour, plz take a look at this pic

utopia

Does anyone know how much the charge is for those who want to ride the shuttle up to Los Veranos and just watch? We have a few people in our group who want to stay at the restaurant or swim.

I've heard the charge is $12 to observe???

Hi All:

We have a group of 19 people on Vision of the Seas and will be in PV on March 31. As our group consists of several families ranging in age from teen to 60s, I'm certain there will be some of us interested in the Los Veranos Canopy zipline.

Marilyn and Catgirl -- I have a few more questions. A few of us want to do the zipline, but have either back or shoulder problems that flare up from time to time. Im particular, my wife has disc problems and is concerned about the stress on her back doing the zipline. How much physical pressure does the back and shoulder take on the zipline? Would you say it would likely be safe for someone who is symptom free, or suggest that they pass it up?

A second question, relating to the operation of the zipline. I've heard reports that if you slow down too much -- or even for other reasons -- you can stop midway accross. I can see some folks getting a bit panicky if that happens, especially if they have to manually pull themselves along the line, hand over hand. Does that describe what happens, or does the tour guide come and assist you? If so -- how long does it take for that before you are at the next platform?

In general, assuming you move freely from platform to platform, about how long is each leg of the trip?

Finally, I have a mini-digital video camera and would like to be able to film the scenery while on the zipline. Is this feasible, if I have the camera attached to a strap around my neck? What about a digital still camera? Will a wrist strap work of do you need a neck strap?

Finally, from the descriptions on this thread, it seems that most folks start out with a fair amount of aprehension, as expected. But what about someone who is prone to anxiety or panic attacks. We have someone who really wants to do this but can get pretty worked up with anxiety, to the point of feeling ill. Is the zipline something that person shouldn't even consider?

For those of you who accompanied friends/family and paid the $12 transportation fee, but skipped the actual zipline, is it worth the time? What is there to do, other than have a drink at the restaurant and wait for the others to have lunch?

Thanks in advance for your input.

David

Hi David, these are actually all good questions. Funny that you mention back problems. I too have back problems and actually had disc surgery last year and still have some occasional flare ups. With that said I had no problems and I was prepared to lie if they asked prior if anyone had back problems! I can take a certain amount of pain/discomfort. We were never asked or warned and I had no discomfort at all. My husband slowed down many many times before reaching the end and he either did hand over hand or one of the guides came out to get him. It may have slowed things up but it certainly wasn't any sort of search and rescue type thing. :) The more you weigh the more weight you pull down on the cable as you traverse across thus slowing you down. My husband weighs about 215. But this again really isn't a problem. In the case of your friend with anxiety issues, this will be very hard to judge. But I think that after the first couple of zips you can go back down and not continue. Anxiety is an odd thing and not something that can really be predicted here. The whole 14 zips take about an hour or so. Have a GREAT time. oh, about the camera. You can buy the footage that they take in DVD or VHS format. They take it of your group the whole time and they do a wonderful job of getting alot of shots of the area. I Think if you worry too much about doing your own video you will miss the experience. They do advise that what ever camera you have that it have a strap. I took a digital one with a wrist strap. Marilyn :)

t

Hi Marilyn:

Thanks so much for your quick response. It was very helpful, and I will share this information with everyone in the group. I guess if you haven't seen the harness and pullies up close, it's difficult to visualize. From the pictures, it's hard to tell how formidable or comfortable the equipment is going to be.

I guess the only followup question for now is -- on average, about how long are you on any single leg of the tour (i.e., platform to platform). I know the lengths tend to vary, but how long on average does it take to go from one platform to the next?

Thanks again.

David

Thanks, again, Marilyn. If there are 10-14 segments and each one takes about a minute or less-- and the entire thing takes about an hour, then it would appear that most of the time is spent on the platforms, is that correct? ARe there lines at each platform, or does it just take about 5 minutes to unhook from one line and hook up on the other?

There is a travel expo at the DC Convention Center this weekend, and they will have a mini-zipline set up to sample. If we go, I think we should definitely try this out. It's a perfect time to "get the fee" of the set-up without actually having to get way up in the air for any significant period of time.

I'll let you know, if we go, how things turn out.

David

David,

There was a guy in our group that walked with a cane and had a knee

brace on. He wasn't able to take the cane with him but I know he had

a good time. The longest walk was to the first platform and then

you go up a winding staircase up the tree. My heart was pounding with

fear. The first two or three zips you don't really see what's below

you because of the trees so you don't really notice how high up you

are. About the fourth one you really get some distance and can see

the bottom but by that time you're more comfortable with the process.

So sometimes you walk to the next platform and sometimes you leave

from the platform you just arrived on but in another direction. So you're

just waiting your turn. As soon as you complete your zip you they

disconnect your from the line and they reconnect you just before you

go. They do connect you to the tree sometimes with a safety line

in between zips just in case. Don't worry about coming up short.

As Marilyn said ( and I agree with everything she said) it seems like

those heavier would come up short. I never did. But even if you do

it's usually only acouple of feet. They will try to grab you if they

can. It's really not that big of a deal.

Have a great time. Cat Girl

I'm not worried about coming up short.......I'm worried about coming in TOO FAST!! Are there brakes???

Ah yes, they do tell you how to brake and when to brake. And when you take off on the zip, they tell you to either leave your legs out straight or tuck them in. The higher one's we tucked in because they were fast. I never came up short, DH did a few times. The one time I thought I was coming in too fast, they were laughing at me because I was screaming! It was sooooooooo much fun!!!

I loved this excursion so much! And I am VERY afraid of heights. Although, I think it helped because last week I was able to look down from the St. Louis Arch without totally freaking out! LOL

Okay, now I'm worried about waiting on the platform. They do have us secured some way to the platform in between zips, right? It wouldn't be so bad if my kids weren't going, but they have NO fear, and therefore NO sense. I KNOW I won't fall off of a platform whether I'm attached or not, but my kids are another story. :eek:

Okay, now I'm worried about waiting on the platform. They do have us secured some way to the platform in between zips, right?

Yes, once they take your hook off of the line, they place it on the safety line around the platform. If you are looking at Los Veranos, they are very safe and from what I understand -accident free. We never once felt unsafe during the entire trip - and I am afraid of everything! hee hee

I'll be on the Princess Diamond on 2/12. I see that you went on Vision of the Seas to the same ports. It's just a coincidence that my bf and i will be cruising on Valentine's and his bday for our first cruise together, and I'm very happy about that!

Hmm, I think we might opt out of lunch at Victor's then if it drags on for that long. I'd rather be exploring the rest of Mazatlan and besides, food on the ship is free! =P The ride back wasn't included in Randi's tour, right? It sounds like Randi only provides the pick up from the ship, not the return.

Did you guys do a tour at cabo, too?. We're planning on just going snorkeling on our own, if the water isn't too cold. 80's actually sounds a little chilly to me to go swimming. =/

Did you and your bf have time to check out the coupley-romantic scene?

I just remember you mentioning that your guy is very adventurous.

It's so great being able to get feedback from ppl that have already done exactly what I'll be doing in a couple of weeks! It's just like talking to friends.

Thanks!

Hi Marilyn! Incidentally, how did you like the NCL star? I was choosing between that one and the Princess Diamond for Mexico. I went w/ Princess because I know (from my own experience and reviews) that the food and service is fab, while NCL reviews tended to come up short.

Regarding heights, recently I was looking down from a balcony of a 3 story hotel when I suddenly felt panicky at just being that high and I thought, " Ahhh! How am I ever going to handle the canopy tour!" Then, I started to think of you gals, your posts, and how brave you all were. I'm tempted to cancel, but looking over these posts prevents me from something I might regret. I know everyone has different thresholds when it comes to heights. since you mentioned that you were quite scared of heights, how high was too high for you (before you went on the tour)?

Thanks!

Utopia,

I just spoke with a couple in their 40's who have been on many cruises and adored the Diamond Princess, said it was one of their favorite ships of all time and they really liked PV. Good choice! They listed off four cruises in less than two years, and were delighted!:D

*** The $12.00 US charge per person to only watch the tour is the transportation cost and a courtesy, as they could fill the big truck with people who want to do the tour.

They (Los Veranos staff) also suggest that if you have a few people who want to only watch, it is less expensive for them to go with you to the canopy office and take a taxi to Los Veranos. Have a staff member flag you down a taxi for the best price.

I just had a 70+ year old client who went and loved it! He has arthritis and was concerned but it was no problem.

Also, max weight limit is 250. I had someone turned away the other day, he was 270 pounds.

If you chicken out I will be very disappointed in you. You will not regret

it.

About my boyfriend, I guess this wasn't a lovey-dovey trip. It was

more of an adventurous trip with a lot of socializing with new friends.

Mexico is very rocky--not lush like the Caribbean. That said we both

felt this was our favorite cruise so far.

As far as transportation back from Randi's Happy Horses, she does

provide that. But, if you decide to skip Victor's and go back on you

own you would probably have to pay for that. I don't know. I had just

read on these boards that someone had opted to do that and I wish

we had. Don't get me wrong. The lunch was great and we were back

on the ship by 2:00 but we felt the lunch dragged out too long. Maybe

I'm not used to the slow pace of Mexico and I need to learn to relax

a little.

Oh, how I envy you. You're leaving in a few weeks. I wish we could

do it all over again.

Cat Girl

• 11 months later...

I can't thank you enough for all your posts and your experience at Los Veranos. I wanted to ask a few questions:

1) It's about 20 minutes from the port to the Canopy office and then how long is from the office to the zip cords/resturant? I think I read on someone else's post that it was 30 to 40 minutes? Is that correct?

2) And you said afterwards you walked around and found a massage place. Was that near the zip cords or was that after the ride back to the canopy office?

3) Regarding Randi's Happy Horses tour, I wanted to take our 4 (almost) 5 year old but wanted to know how long the actual HORSE TIME/RIDING was? How long are you on the horses? And do they ALL RUN?

My family will be arriving on Vision of the Seas in February. I noticed a number of the previous posters were on the Vision. Can anyone tell me if the 10:00 tour is too early?

It depends on which sailing you are on. On Feb 2, there are three ships in port. The dock can only handle one large ship. You have a 1/3 chance of being at the dock. I don't know how well VotS does with tendering. All other arrival dates has VotS as the only ship in port. If the ship arrives as scheduled at 8 AM PV local time, you will have no problem getting to the Los Veranos tour office by 9:45 AM on any date you are at the dock. On the 2nd, it will all depend on how good they do with the tender situation.

Enjoy!

Our family of four (DH and I, plus our 9-year-old DD and 17-year-old DS) had such a great time on the Vision this past Spring break. You will have a terrific time!

The drive from the office in PV to the Canopy tour site is about 30 minutes plus. The drive is absolutely breathtaking. Be sure to sit on the right side of the bus on the way out. A person can get amazing pictures that way. Our family was scheduled for the 12:00 p.m. tour, but our cab got us there much earlier and they went ahead and took us on the earlier tour that was getting ready to leave. I didn't see any massage place there after the zipline, but while my DH and I enjoyed drinks and nachos, our kids went down the water slide and played in the creek. The zipline tour itself was awesome. The whole family loved it, and it was definitely one of the highlights of our trip.

The other big highlight was our ride with Randi. We just loved her, and the ride was so much fun. There was a little girl on our ride who couldn't have been more than 5. She didn't have any problems at all. The horses are very well taken care, well matched up with their respective riders. Your DD won't have any problems at all. The ride itself lasted maybe 45 minutes/an hour -- It was a wonderful ride -- through a plantation and then out onto the beach. The scenery was so beautiful. My horse was Clown. Our daughter had Little Red. The horses pretty much did what you wanted them to. If you wanted to run, they'd run. If you wanted to take it easy, they did that too. Of course, then you get to follow up the ride with the yummy shrimp and great stories by Randi. DH and DS rented an ATV afterwards and tooled around the beach, and DD rented a boogie board and played in the surf with some kids. It was a fantastic day.

Archived