Thinking of taking a Tour to Tivoli from Rome

Summer1961

It has been suggested that we take a tour from Rome to Tivoli while we are in Rome next week (can't believe its next week) and am wondering if its worth the trip and the cost. There appears to be so much to see in Rome itself, would it be worth our time to travel to Tivoli for a few hours or a day ?

Appreciate your input.

Christine

Hi Christine

My family and I are in Rome next week and plan to go to Tivoli. It has been highly recommended to us from some friends.It is easy to do on your own by either bus or train for about 4 E a person plus entrance to the Villa.

I have been researching it.I don't think a tour would be necessary.

If you have anymore questions let me know,

Angela

How many days will you be in Rome? If it's your first visit and you are going to be there for anything less than 4 days, I certainly would recommend that you just stay in Rome and enjoy the many sights in the immediate area.

As I recall, it's not the easiest routing to get to Tivoli on your own -- not hard, but not simple either, particularly if you want to do both Hadrian's villa and Villa d'Est. (They are both in Tivoli but not close to each other.)

I would suggest you do a little research on the internet to find out if you really want to go. If you do, post back here for more detail on how to get there.

We once spent two nights at a Tivoli hotel and explored the region. If you do have the time, it definitely is worth a day trip from Rome. There are two "must see" attractions at Tivoli (Tivoli Gardens (Villa Este) and Hadrian's Villa (Villa Adriana) and you need to sure that both places are open on the day you would plan to visit. We were shocked when we went over to Ville Este one day to find they had decided to close the place because they had a staff meeting. The tourist office, which was only 1 block from the Villa entrance, was not even aware the place was closed. It was not an issue for us since we were spending 2 days in Tivoli, but we saw entire bus tours that were very disappointed (even the bus tours did not know they decided to close). When we travel around Italy we often run into this kind of situation when things just seem to happen for no good reason. This is part of the charm of Italy, but also a major frustration for tourists.

Hank

How many days will you be in Rome? If it's your first visit and you are going to be there for anything less than 4 days, I certainly would recommend that you just stay in Rome and enjoy the many sights in the immediate area.

As I recall, it's not the easiest routing to get to Tivoli on your own -- not hard, but not simple either, particularly if you want to do both Hadrian's villa and Villa d'Est. (They are both in Tivoli but not close to each other.)

I would suggest you do a little research on the internet to find out if you really want to go. If you do, post back here for more detail on how to get there.

We are there for four days and leaving at 12:00 p.m. for a cruise on day 5. What do you think ? Go to Tivoli or skip it and just enjoy more of Rome ?

Christine

We are there for four days and leaving at 12:00 p.m. for a cruise on day 5. What do you think ? Go to Tivoli or skip it and just enjoy more of Rome ?

Christine

We took the bus to Tivoli and toured Hadrian's first then the Gardens before heading back to Rome. Be sure to have your ticket stamped prior to boarding the bus. We loved it.

Som

Christine

I would vote to stay in Rome. You can see the city without rushing around like many people have to do it. Unless you have a burning desire to go to Tivoli, enjoy Rome. You can spend a whole day at the Vatican, another whole day in the ancient center (Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill), and then do some other great things like the Borghese museum, Capitoline Museum, various churches, Baroque Rome (Trevi to Navona area) etc.

It has been suggested that we take a tour from Rome to Tivoli while we are in Rome next week (can't believe its next week) and am wondering if its worth the trip and the cost. There appears to be so much to see in Rome itself, would it be worth our time to travel to Tivoli for a few hours or a day ?

Appreciate your input.

Christine

Stay in Rome; we spent five glorious days there in June.

I think we've pretty much decided to stay in Rome and enjoy ... Once there if we'll have a better appreciation for the city and probably just decide to stay put, but will keep Tivoli in our minds in case we do find time (which I seriously doubt) for the trip.

Again thank you everyone. You have been very helpful.

Christine

Archived