NEW HAL Mariner Program NOW on website

piedmont

To me brunch means between breakfast and lunch. If it's a lunch that would be different. I'll be interested in seeing if the dining room is open. I'm not a fan of the Lido and anytime I can escape that place works for me.

The embarkation brunch/lunch sounds like a great benefit. Will be interested to read some reviews on this.

I understand why anyone with less than 225 days is happy !!!!

But we just feel very disappointed and shortchanged with the program because we were on my way to the 1,000 day mark.

It is my opinion that HAL has done great disservice to his highest level mariners by telling them. Who cares, we only value 200 days, the rest means nothing. I have more than 4 times that number of days and I know of people who have 1,400 and 1,600 days; they were with us on the last Voyage of the Vikings last July-Aug.

When I indicated earlier that my husband and I were not happy and that we am seriously looking at alternatives for our upcoming Prinsendam cruise next summer and cancellling, your answer was : What is your problem ? Well this is my problem. The lack of recognition above 200 days, which is a minimal amount of days for us ! The fact the the free laundry offer is going to be a nightmare on some cruises and the fact thet they do not offer anything extra for the very high Mariners !!! We are few, and they do not care, so why should I be happy....

By the way, we have also tossed out our copper, silver and gold medallions a while ago. :eek:

Jul 02, 2008 ms Eurodam Greece/Turkey 3

Does anyone else who was on that 3-Day Prelude cruise have a similar "Destination" for that cruise?

Yes, I do. That sailing must have been a thorn in their side. Originally, it didn't even show up for me. When I tried to add it, HAL's website didn't even recognize it. It didn't show up in the listings. I entered it manually and it stayed there, so I didn't check it any after that.

They do have our accurate cruise credit days. Guess I'll remain a 3-star for a while yet.

I agree with both sides of the discussion here.

DH and I love sailing HAL for all the reasons we took our second third and fourth cruise on the line. The beautiful ships, the wonderful crews, the environment and atmosphere, the tradition, etc We (and all guests) are treated like valued guests when aboard and we've made friends along the way.

But we also have accumlated a lot of days. We have our gold medal and are well on our way to what would have been Platinum. Because the Medal environment has been HAL's tradition and signature through all our cruising years, it is intrinsic to our cruises and Mariner events. We survived the last change to the Mariners Program and happily continued sailing and we will do the same this time.

However, for the folks new to HAL who have well under 100 days (first medallion is copper at 100), please try to understand those of us who have sailed for decades (some of us) under a system which we enjoyed and had anticipation of reaching the next level, we are very disappointed that will no longer happen. We feel the rug pulled out from under us to some degree.

It isn't a big deal to many here but for some of us, it is somewhat more important.

Of course, we'll continue to love our HAL cruises for all the REALLY important reasons HAL is HAL but give us the opportunity to adjust and accept our disappointment. DH and I had been looking forward to closing in on Platinum.

I know the medallions mean nothing to many here and that's fine. I also understand why HAL has changed the program in the way they have and that is fine also. I will not let this deter me from fully enjoying every minute on the ships and certainly will not fail to continue to sail HAL becuase of it. We value our time aboard and everything we experience way too much.

Thanks.

Happyglobetrotter, I completely agree with you. You have far more days than I do (i have 650). Yes, everyone at 200 days should think this is great. I got NOTHING at 200 days. It has taken me decades to get here. Ironically, I was on the first Christmas Cruise where they introduced Mariner status. I already had 40,000 miles at that time. Now, I am seeing the end of REAL mariner staus. Hal should have kept the levels like Cunard. I too, have a handful of Cruises with Cunard and get far more perks than I ever did with Hal. Hal has certainly made it clear that they no longer care about their higher days passengers. Hal has made it loud and clear, it is time to move on.

Under the new Mariner program, I have reached the highest level already. I really have no incentive to keep sailing on Holland America. While I love everything about Holland America, I also love sailing on Celebrity. I have been continuing on HAL because of the silly medallions. I am 88 days from my next level. With the medallions gone, I will probably start going 50/50 between HAL and Celebrity. BTW....Hey HAL, I have all the medallions anyway...Thanks eBay. ;)

Wow, they have opened up a new can of worms. I just finished reading all the posts. Very, very interesting comments from everyone. You all have raised a number of questions about the new program.

I hope someone from HAL is taking notes on all this and can respond to those who have raised legitimate questions here on the board so we can all see. There is more than enough clarification on this new program to keep someone employed!

From my perspective, they have down graded the whole system.

Why sail for 100 or 300 days or more, when you can spend money on suites, and on-board purchases and end up with the same amenities. A good question was about PRE-PAYMENT for all services, they were not purchased on-board nor will they show up in your stateroom account at the end. Suite, what kind of suite? All suites? Penthouse too? What a crock. I can only wait to get on-board to try and get reservations in the Pinnacle Grill, with 50% (or two for one) for the 4 Star Pins all waiting in line.

I am sure Holland Anerica will make changes if enough people complain.

Also will they still be tote bags and Tiles as collectable gifts

As others have stated earlier in this thread, the program is a "gift" ... and if enuf people complain, HAL could rescind all or part of the new Mariner program. While not all of us may be happy with the changes, it may be not be appropriate to be ungracious gift recipients.

The tote bags are not just for Mariners ... that is something HAL provides, at least one per cabin, for all passengers sailing.

The benefits do mention a collectible gift ... no way to know if that still will be tiles or something else that HAL deems appropriate.

Wow, they have opened up a new can of worms. I just finished reading all the posts. Very, very interesting comments from everyone. You all have raised a number of questions about the new program.

I hope someone from HAL is taking notes on all this and can respond to those who have raised legitimate questions here on the board so we can all see. There is more than enough clarification on this new program to keep someone employed!

From my perspective, they have down graded the whole system.

Why sail for 100 or 300 days or more, when you can spend money on suites, and on-board purchases and end up with the same amenities. A good question was about PRE-PAYMENT for all services, they were not purchased on-board nor will they show up in your stateroom account at the end. Suite, what kind of suite? All suites? Penthouse too? What a crock. I can only wait to get on-board to try and get reservations in the Pinnacle Grill, with 50% (or two for one) for the 4 Star Pins all waiting in line.

Can you imagine the lines for those 4 Star Pins not just for the Pinnacle, but for Tenders, and early embarking and disembarking! Doesn't take much to get 4 stars..just spending.

Can you imagine the lines for those 4 Star Pins not just for the Pinnacle, but for Tenders, and early embarking and disembarking! Doesn't take much to get 4 stars..just spending.

That's why I'm rather pleased to be a lowly star or two ... could mean shorter lines for me!:D

It isn't a big deal to many here but for some of us, it is somewhat more important.
I certainly understand that. It's like many of the traditional touches that have disappeared. Those who never experienced them don't know they're missing anything. To others, they have long been a part of what made HAL unique.

Like the Yum-Yum man chiming for dinnertime and standing at the dining exit dispensing the goodies. Sometimes it happens ... sometimes it doesn't. More than once I've stood there and served. (Maybe I wasn't supposed to, but it was fun, and my fellow passengers seemed to enjoy it.) A "little" thing? Sure. But it always used to be without fail, and a very real differentiation between HAL and other lines.

The list could go on.

We are still cruise "newbies" according to the days most of you have accumulated; however, we tried another line (RCCL) one time just to make sure that HAL was as great as we thought it was. It was. We will, no doubt, sail other lines due to their itineraries or for other various reasons, but will always prefer HAL and sail with them whenever the opportunity arises. The perk we enjoy most on HAL is simply the way they treat their passengers. The staff is the most gracious that I have encountered anywhere on any vacation, sea or land based. For that reason alone, we will remain loyal to HAL and consider them our "home" line.

Regards, Linda

Yes, I do. That sailing must have been a thorn in their side. Originally, it didn't even show up for me. When I tried to add it, HAL's website didn't even recognize it. It didn't show up in the listings. I entered it manually and it stayed there, so I didn't check it any after that.

That's precisely what happened to me. I had a long phone conversation with someone at Mariner Services regarding day-credit for that cruise. I gave 'em my booking number, my room number, the itinerary, the date, the page-number listing the cruise in a dated copy of the Mariner Magazine, and the ridiculously high dollar amount I had paid to go on that 3-day prelude. I pointed out that I had also paid $100 extra per-person to attend the ceremony in Rotterdam, that we then boarded the Eurodam the very next day, the port of call on that cruise, and even where she could go to see the photos I had taken. She went there and paged through them, remarking on how wonderful they were and that they might be interested in one or two of them for the Mariner Magazine. However, even after all that, she said that the computer showed no record of the cruise, no coding for it, and that therefore there was no substantiation that there ever had been such a cruise. She admitted that the booking number I gave her showed up in the computer as being a valid number, but that all data fields in the listing were blank! Yes, there was a record of my attending the Queen's Inaugural of the Eurodam Ceremony in Rotterdam (a security waver was appended to my file on that matter -- ah-ha!) but that according to the computer we were all listed as boarded in Copenhagen with the rest of the Inaugural passengers, not in Rotterdam. Of course, the first thing that came into my mind when she told me that was "so, no wonder we were treated like crap (totally ignored) by the Line's Executives! In their world, we weren't aboard!!!" In short, according to the nice lady at Mariner Services, there was absolutely NOTHING pertaining to a Eurodam 3-day Prelude Cruise cruise in their system and that she wasn't sure any of us could be even given credit for a sailing that the system said didn't exist. She was pleasant, however, and not too officious, and so she agreed to forward the decision on this matter to "higher ups." For a while afterwards the cruise remained on my list on the website accounting, with the cryptic "Does Not Match Our Records" moniker next to it. But, then, that phrase vanished and I thought everything was copacetic.

I guess, since the computer didn't give any information on the cruise, they finally just equated it to another European 3-day somewhere in their system ... even though that was entirely erroneous. There were about 800 paying passengers on that 3-day prelude, so one would think that they could at least take the time to enter a proper Destination identification.

Of course, in the grand scheme of things I guess it doesn't matter. I have 211 days for which the Line gives me credit. If I lose those 3 days at some point in the future due to internal arguments, it won't impact my 4-Star Mariner status.

Under the new Mariner program, I have reached the highest level already. I really have no incentive to keep sailing on Holland America. While I love everything about Holland America, I also love sailing on Celebrity. I have been continuing on HAL because of the silly medallions. I am 88 days from my next level. With the medallions gone, I will probably start going 50/50 between HAL and Celebrity. BTW....Hey HAL, I have all the medallions anyway...Thanks eBay. ;)

There is a financial incentive, you know ... the perks one gets with the 4-Star Status. Working to attain 4-Star status will be a chore for those who don't yet have it, but for those of us who do we get the benefit of having the perks immediately. That's the positive side. The negative is, as you've outlined, not having the traditional levels of recognition beyond 200.

As I've said before, I guess I'll need to keep my eyes peeled on Ebay for future auctions of Silver, Gold, and Platinum Medallions.

That's precisely what happened to me. I had a long phone conversation with someone at Mariner Services regarding day-credit for that cruise. I gave 'em my booking number, my room number, the itinerary, the date, the page-number listing the cruise in a dated copy of the Mariner Magazine, and the ridiculously high dollar amount I had paid to go on that 3-day prelude. I pointed out that I had also paid $100 extra per-person to attend the ceremony in Rotterdam, that we then boarded the Eurodam the very next day, the port of call on that cruise, and even where she could go to see the photos I had taken. She went there and paged through them, remarking on how wonderful they were and that they might be interested in one or two of them for the Mariner Magazine. However, even after all that, she said that the computer showed no record of the cruise, no coding for it, and that therefore there was no substantiation that there ever had been such a cruise. She admitted that the booking number I gave her showed up in the computer as being a valid number, but that all data fields in the listing were blank! Yes, there was a record of my attending the Queen's Inaugural of the Eurodam Ceremony in Rotterdam (a security waver was appended to my file on that matter -- ah-ha!) but that according to the computer we were all listed as boarded in Copenhagen with the rest of the Inaugural passengers, not in Rotterdam. Of course, the first thing that came into my mind when she told me that was "so, no wonder we were treated like crap (totally ignored) by the Line's Executives! In their world, we weren't aboard!!!" In short, according to the nice lady at Mariner Services, there was absolutely NOTHING pertaining to a Eurodam 3-day Prelude Cruise cruise in their system and that she wasn't sure any of us could be even given credit for a sailing that the system said didn't exist. She was pleasant, however, and not too officious, and so she agreed to forward the decision on this matter to "higher ups." For a while afterwards the cruise remained on my list on the website accounting, with the cryptic "Does Not Match Our Records" moniker next to it. But, then, that phrase vanished and I thought everything was copacetic.

I guess, since the computer didn't give any information on the cruise, they finally just equated it to another European 3-day somewhere in their system ... even though that was entirely erroneous. There were about 800 paying passengers on that 3-day prelude, so one would think that they could at least take the time to enter a proper Destination identification.

Of course, in the grand scheme of things I guess it doesn't matter. I have 211 days for which the Line gives me credit. If I lose those 3 days at some point in the future due to internal arguments, it won't impact my 4-Star Mariner status.

If HAL is unable to substantiate your onboardness ... perhaps they will be happy to refund your fare, as it was monies that went into a blackhole for nothingness.:rolleyes:

LOL They should just do away with the Priority disembarkation Check in and tender service & just open the gates. Nothing like an oldfashion cattle call. :D

If HAL is unable to substantiate your onboardness ... perhaps they will be happy to refund your fare, as it was monies that went into a blackhole for nothingness.:rolleyes:

I said that, at one point! The Mariner Services lady laughed out-loud and said "lots of luck on that one!"

But ... it's a moot point. Apparently the Line has agreed that there was some kind of cruise and are granting us day-credit: a magical 3-day cruise from Greece/Turkey to Copenhagen. My mental image is of the Eurodam, bow high in the air, water spraying port and starboard and aft like a humungous motor boat ... roaring through the Med, then out into the Atlantic and north through the English channel, then around and into the Baltic ... what a sight that must have been, and a WILD RIDE to boot!

I just realized....I might as well sit back and be ready to be the last off the boat on my next cruise in nearly every port. MANY ports are tendered and I get the feeling that nearly everyone on the ship (except ME) will be 4 star cruisers. Oh well........I can be patient!!

But ... it's a moot point. Apparently the Line has agreed that there was some kind of cruise and are granting us day-credit: a magical 3-day cruise from Greece/Turkey to Copenhagen. My mental image is of the Eurodam, bow high in the air, water spraying port and starboard and aft like a humungous motor boat ... roaring through the Med, then out into the Atlantic and north through the English channel, then around and into the Baltic ... what a sight that must have been, and a WILD RIDE to boot!

Are you sure you don't want to take on the Nieuw Amsterdam inaugural Greg?? We could use some first-hand commentary! :D

How are the Explorations Cafe folks know if you are 1, 2, 3 or 4 star? Do you think they will be issuing different colored key cards? :confused: Same with the priority tenders... they'll have to have a way to distinguish.

Guess over 200 days you get 5 stars!

215070773_6b7a6aa06c.jpg

Archived