Must-do sightseeing in San Francisco, join a tour bus or walk/take public transport?

fuc847

This is my first time to san francisco. my cruise will be stopping there for 1 day, so I was thinking of just being near the cruise port area.

do u guys recommend joinig a bus tour or sightseeing myself? OR the third option, which is rental a bike. do most places allow you to park your bikes? is it a normal thing to bike around the city?

what are some MUST see things near the san fran cruise port? based on the cruise critic port info, it seems like you can walk to most places and that will use up your whole day from 11am to 4pm.

cost is a factor, preferrably free things and low-cost transportation.

We have taken the Trolley (mock cable car) Tour operated by Grayline which covers a lot of the downtown sights, including Chinatown, Union Square, Fishmans Wharf and the Golden Gate bridge. We were very pleased with it, seems to me it was about 3 hrs long, they have a ticket booth in the vacinity of Pier 39 , just a couple of blocks to the right as you exit the cruise terminal....you can't miss it ....and it was very reasonable pricewise.

Don't recommend the bike unless you are really fit - remember, we have hills!

Agree totally with the previous posts - the tours running from Pier 39 are close to the docks and relatively inexpensive. If you pass an area that you would like to explore further, you can walk or take a cab there.

We did the "MOTORIZED CABLE CAR TOUR" tour that included a stop and the Golden Gate bridge where we got out and were able to walk out on the bridge. We did it in May '08 and didn't remember it being $24 but I see that have expanded the tour a bit.

I would walk down to pier 39/fisherman's wharf. check out museum mechanique--it is free. get some bread and snack from Boudins bakery. rent a bike-- go to hyde street pier if you like historic ships. bike along the flat west--towards ft mason, past the piers, then to crissy field and past the yachts, down to Ft Point (go in if it is open), walk bike up to golden gate bridge (small hill).

on trip back, bike from bridge onto Lincoln Blvd (main road at toll plaza--) go through presidio--check it out. then bike on east through either lombard--go one block north onto chestnut street and bike back to pier 39 that way.

this route has almost no hills!!! you can end the day by walking/muni F line back to the pier and check out the ferry building if you have time.

MUCH better than a fake cable car tour. btw, we have many many bikers in sf--people are used to them (though fisherman's wharf are tourists not the locals) so you can lock your bike anywhere. stay off the sidewalks. lots of bike paths--check out SF bike websites. we are a big biking town.

from former park ranger in SF...almost local after 27 yrs...

if you don't want to rent a bike, walk from fisherman's wharf to lower ft mason (about 20 minutes). then, in the east side of the parking lot, almost across from the safeway, catch the Muni 28 bus--$2--will take you to the Golden Gate bridge tollplaza--then walk the bridge. take the 28 back to east side of town or for an adventure, go south on the 28 to Geary Blvd. at geary, transfer on south side of street to the 38 Geary bus (the most crowded bus line in the US) and ride east all the way to downtown. walk back to the ferry building from union square. then you will see the real sf. there is a website called Nextbus--I think (look on 511.org) that will tell you the time of the next bus at that particular bus stop.

I would also recommend a trip to Alcatraz. Its $26 return on the ferry and includes an audio tour when you get there. Very infomative and interesting. You can stay as long as you like.

Warnings

-

• a lot of walking and up hill

• you need to book a few days in advance

If Alcatraz, a failed prison, is of interest to you for whatever reason - go for it. Most folks who come to visit me would never visit it again and would have ranked other sites much higher. Most of the island is off limits and you rent these cheesy recorded messages to hear about the prisoners.

It takes a good chunk of your day. It is in the middle of the Bay and can be cold and windy if the fog is in.

I don't mean to sound poopy about it - just want to caution you based on the feedback of my family and friends who stay. The Bay Area is soooo rich with potential sites and activities - dedicating 1/2 day to an old prison - and potentially being cold for your visit - well, you might thank me later. If your first visit to San Fran and only a few days? It wouldn't make my list of "must" sees.

Fort Story, IMHO is much more interesting and historically significant. Angel Island - also historically significant, but MUCH more interesting is a better ferry ride away. The views even better - perfect for a picnic, or you can rent bikes or just hike the perimeter. Then on return trip, you can stop off via Tiburon and eat at Guaymas. Golden Gate Park and the Japanese Tea Garden are amazing - the beaches, Marin Headlands and our awesome vibrant neighborhoods are ripe to explore.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

If the poster is physically fit and likes to ride a bicycle I see no reason why he or she could not do so. From Pier 39 I believe that you can ride through the Golden Gateway National Park all the way to the Golden Gate Bridge and Fort Point. Most of the ride here is flat.

And doesn't the Muni allow you to carry your bicycle with you. San Francisco has an excellent public transportation system. Get a muni map and a good map of San Francisco.

For cheap eats there is an IN and OUT Burger near Fisherman's Wharf, and of course the Safeway Supermarket at the Marina Green for whatever picnic supplies you need.

You can do it on public transportation and walking just fine. We have done it many times.

I have not done the tour some were speaking of, but I checked out the web site. The $24 tour hits a lot of the highlights of the city.

Here is a link to SF in a day you can do on your own: http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/casfmenu/a/one_day.htm

I think with only 5 hours I would pass on Alcatraz. I would not hesitate to do it again, but I have been to SF countless times and have seen and done most there is to do at least once. I think with such limited time, you would miss most everything else if you do Alcatraz.

My vote for the thing not to miss is riding the cable cars. The real ones.

I believe you can buy a day pass covering public transportation, including the cable cars.

Jen in SoCal

This is my first time to san francisco. my cruise will be stopping there for 1 day, so I was thinking of just being near the cruise port area.

do u guys recommend joinig a bus tour or sightseeing myself? OR the third option, which is rental a bike. do most places allow you to park your bikes? is it a normal thing to bike around the city?

what are some MUST see things near the san fran cruise port? based on the cruise critic port info, it seems like you can walk to most places and that will use up your whole day from 11am to 4pm.

cost is a factor, preferrably free things and low-cost transportation.

Archived