Voluntary Formal Night

Bridge Maven

Do you observe voluntary formal night?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Do you observe voluntary formal night?

• Yes - I wear a tux
    • Yes - I wear a dark suit
    • Yes - I wear an evening gown
    • Yes - wear dressy pants/top
    • Yes - I wear a cocktail dress
    • No - but I dress up more than on casual nights
    • No - I dress the same way as on casual nights
    • It depends on the itinerary - explain below
    • Other - explain below

I think most of the heated comments occur because everyone's ideas of what is 'formal' 'casual' 'smart' differs. Most probably if we could post pictures of what we consider the most suitable attire for dinner we would post similar pictures.

I've never seen tux /gowns on Med Cruises - very few men in dark suits and even fewer in Summer - men who wore smart shirts rarely wore ties - ladies wore dresses , pants/skirts and smart tops.

By smart tops I don't necessarily mean sparkly ones, the sort of tops that you would change into if you were going to a proper restaurant back home.

Some friends who were determined not to carry lots of baggage would wear a top in the evening and wear it again during the day.

I didn't see much difference on dress up or not night.

I like dressing up, DH and boys like looking hot in a tux, so yes we dress up. For they guys, on other lines, we rent a tux, so packing isn't an issue. For this cruise, since I haven't seen that NCL rents tuxes, I will ask them to bring a suit. Even on the non-dress up nights, I will change before dinner most of the time, so it isn't an issue to put on a sun dress or pants and a nicer blouse for dinner.

I am with those who question why there are "voluntary formal" nights. It seems to be a contradiction to "freestyle" concept. It sounds like NCL is trying to be all things to all people, which it can't be. Sure, you still can dress as you wish, but why have the subtle pressure to do otherwise?

As for myself, I dress a little more on all evenings....."business casual", I believe it's called...no jeans or shorts, and shirts with a collar.

I agree with those that choose NCL because of freestyle, for ease of packing, etc.

If I want real formal, I'd go on Cunard (On my last QE2 crossing, had to wear tux five nights in a row, first and last night were 'informal', which on QE2 meant a business suit!).

I stick with "resort casual" - no jeans or shorts in the evenings - and take a fun, "dressy dress" for formal night. this is the night for photos. For our upcoming European cruise, with luggage restrictions, I am sticking with on pair black slacks and 2 dressy tops along with a dark skirt for "formal" night. It just depends on the cruise, how tired I am, and luggage restrictions. That is what is great about NCL.

I am with those who question why there are "voluntary formal" nights. It seems to be a contradiction to "freestyle" concept. It sounds like NCL is trying to be all things to all people, which it can't be. Sure, you still can dress as you wish, but why have the subtle pressure to do otherwise?

As for myself, I dress a little more on all evenings....."business casual", I believe it's called...no jeans or shorts, and shirts with a collar.

I agree with those that choose NCL because of freestyle, for ease of packing, etc.

If I want real formal, I'd go on Cunard (On my last QE2 crossing, had to wear tux five nights in a row, first and last night were 'informal', which on QE2 meant a business suit!).

The reason they still have a designated 'Dress up or not' night is because otherwise those of us who enjoy wearing formal wear would feel 'overdressed'. By designating a night when it's a stated option, I could be the only person on the ship in a gown and I wouldn't feel the least bit uncomfortable or overdressed because I had been invited to do so - if I so chose. It's like having a party in October and saying 'costumes optional'. Would you show up at a party in a costume just because it's in October? On the designated nights, I wear my gown or cocktail dress regardless of how many others will be wearing theirs, because the 'optional' gives me the freedom to be as dressed up as I want, just as it gives everyone else the option to be as casual as they want - as long as all of us stay within the dress code for where we choose to eat. :)

The reason they still have a designated 'Dress up or not' night is because otherwise those of us who enjoy wearing formal wear would feel 'overdressed'. By designating a night when it's a stated option, I could be the only person on the ship in a gown and I wouldn't feel the least bit uncomfortable or overdressed because I had been invited to do so - if I so chose. It's like having a party in October and saying 'costumes optional'. Would you show up at a party in a costume just because it's in October? On the designated nights, I wear my gown or cocktail dress regardless of how many others will be wearing theirs, because the 'optional' gives me the freedom to be as dressed up as I want, just as it gives everyone else the option to be as casual as they want - as long as all of us stay within the dress code for where we choose to eat. :)

Okay, that sounds reasonable. But since it's 'freestyle', why isn't every night 'Dress up or not'?

But since it's 'freestyle', why isn't every night 'Dress up or not'?
Because even for those of us who like to dress up (and I understand why not everyone does), it's more fun to dress up when everyone else is dressed up. And a dining room full of well-dressed people looks more attractive, thus encouraging those who want to do it to do it. So you can start a virtuous circle by designating a dress up night, even though it's still voluntary.

Okay, that sounds reasonable. But since it's 'freestyle', why isn't every night 'Dress up or not'?

That's what I'm thinking.....why not just stipulate every night as "dress up or not" that way those who love dressing up can do so for the entire cruise and those who do not dress up can do their thing as well. Why just one night?

I also think they could split one of the MDR's in half and seat those who are dressed up on one side and those who are not on the other......that way you'd have your gathering of "dressed up" people all in one place making each other feel like they are dining in class.

That's what I'm thinking.....why not just stipulate every night as "dress up or not" that way those who love dressing up can do so for the entire cruise and those who do not dress up can do their thing as well. Why just one night?

I also think they could split one of the MDR's in half and seat those who are dressed up on one side and those who are not on the other......that way you'd have your gathering of "dressed up" people all in one place making each other feel like they are dining in class.

I found your comment to be interesting because that is what we do unofficially. If we are eating in the French restaurant, which has an upscale feel to it, I will dress up a bit no matter what night it is.

Why do people really care what other passengers are wearing? When we've been on cruises with our 3 college-aged daughters, 2 of them dress to the max almost every night while my oldest daughter will wear blue jeans in the MDR and then just simple black dress pants/blouse if we're eating in a specialty restaurant. That's why we love the freestyle concept. It doesn't really matter! (And the younger ones have never felt "overdressed" even when its not the designated formal night. Actually, they love all the attention and the compliments that they receive.)

I found your comment to be interesting because that is what we do unofficially. If we are eating in the French restaurant, which has an upscale feel to it, I will dress up a bit no matter what night it is.

Actually my husband and I do what ever we are in the mood for doing. What others are wearing rarely ever influences what we wear unless we are going to an extremely fancy place at home that most people "dress up" when going.......in that case I'd feel extremely ridiculous going in jeans, even if they were allowed.

That said, the only reason I made that suggestion is because apparently someone people "need" the dining rooms labeled and designated for some reason...have no idea why but from all I read here, that seems to be the case for some. So I thought I'd come up with a plan to make every one happy......but we all know that's impossible. ;)

I dress the same on almost every night. When I eat in Le Bistro or Cagney's I may wear a sports jacket.

On our February cruise on Jade I even wore "jeans" to Mama's. We had just got back from a long day onshore and we justed wanted to eat and go to bed. I felt a little weird wearing jeans because it was the first time I had ever done so on a cruise. After a bit I got used to it and I wasn't the only one dressed this way. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis but it sure was nice having the option.

Take care,

Mike

I dress the same on almost every night. When I eat in Le Bistro or Cagney's I may wear a sports jacket.

On our February cruise on Jade I even wore "jeans" to Mama's. We had just got back from a long day onshore and we justed wanted to eat and go to bed. I felt a little weird wearing jeans because it was the first time I had ever done so on a cruise. After a bit I got used to it and I wasn't the only one dressed this way. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis but it sure was nice having the option.

Take care,

Mike

That is pretty much how we approach the whole thing. Frankly, I think most people who are doing the "freestyle" NCL cruises think the the same way as we do, ......and the only reason we know all the differences of opinion is because we belong to a forum that focuses on on this stuff.

Why do people really care what other passengers are wearing?
Because a room full of dressed-up people looks nicer than a room full of people wearing casual clothes.

So I like uneamie's idea of a specific "dressed-up" dining room. Some of the earlier Freestyle cruises I did had this, and I would be all for it.

Because a room full of dressed-up people looks nicer than a room full of people wearing casual clothes.

Maybe to you, but to most of us it makes no difference. To me, both are just a room full of the same people.

If what someone else wears is so important to you, why not cruise a line with a phony dress code and leave us alone here? Please?

dressing or not is a personal choice, and some days I feel like putting on a more special outfit, other times I just want to relax and be comfortable.

I was raised however to follow the rules and it irks me to see such inconsistency. And I am not just talking about on NCL or even on a cruise, you should see the people at work who don't pay attention to the rules in the parking garage! I think people can look very nice in jeans and shorts, which is pretty accepted here in Texas. Too me, what's wierd is to see people casually dressed in a MDR with a formal setting. Shorts and chandelliers? I wish NCL would designate one MDR was casual and the other not casual. I would like to see the casual MDR with a more casual look, feel and menu. We have a great restaurant here in Dallas called HOUSTON'S that has a great menu but it is not stuffy or fancy.

I pack a black broomstick skirt that is beaded and I can wear it a few times with dressy tops and heels. I don't feel this takes too much space away from casual attire in my suitcase. In fact I have a new theory for future cruises. I am going to only take a few bottoms but several tops and use the ship's laundry.

The best dinners on NCL though are the ones I eat on the balcony wearing my pajamas. There is no dress code there!

Maybe to you, but to most of us it makes no difference. To me, both are just a room full of the same people.

If what someone else wears is so important to you, why not cruise a line with a phony dress code and leave us alone here? Please?

Sorry to disappoint. I have good reasons for cruising on NCL, and formal dress hasn't yet been banned as far as I know.

So I have no intention of giving up my NCL cruises simply because some of NCL's clientele cannot tell the difference.

On the "dress-up or not night, the Captain is available for formal photos. That is important to some cruisers, so they like to dress up. You can also have your photo taken with him in casual wear, and that appeals to some people.

So -- That night is set up to accomodate all of us, and I like that idea.

Archived