Athens / Piraeus

shoebiz

My wife and I will be in Athens on November 23rd we are traveling on the Celebrity Solstice. While in Athens we would like to see the Acropolis, Parthenon, the first Olympic stadium, the changing of the guard, and visit the Jewish museum. We would also like to have enough time to visit the flee market and the Plaka. Is this to much to do in one day, and are we missing something important?

Can we take public transportation and accomplish this or, should I hire a private guide? If so, could someone please recommend one and send me their email address? I would like to contact them and discuss their availability and the price. I would also like the guide to speak English.

We will also be in Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini if there are any recommendations or must see things?

Thanks for your replies.

We had 13 hours in Athens and accomplished everything we wanted by public transportation, even happened to catch the changing of the guards. It's a bit of a walk to the train station from the port, but after that, it was easy, cheap and fun. Now that I think about it, we also had a little trouble finding the Acropolis from the train station, but I think we were especially clueless as we are not seasoned travellers. At the end of the day, I felt very happy we had done this port on our own. Of course, the situation may be different if you have less time than we did.

All of the sights you listed in your post are located within easy walking distance of each other. If you prefer to avoid the 20-minute walk to the Piraeus metro stop, you can spend about 20 Euros each way for a taxi to and from the central historical core, which is seven miles from Piraeus port, about 20 minutes by taxi except during rush hour. Any so-called guide you may hire probably is simply a taxi driver, not licensed as a guide, not allowed into any of the sites and a total rip-off. If you want a real guide, google athens walking tours and contact them.

We have visited Athens twice in the past year, once pre-cruise and once post-cruise, and happily walked the highly pedestrianized and pedestrian-friendly historical core on our own. Check out the new Rick Steves' Athens guidebook from your local library and you will see how close all the sights you list are.

Just returned! We had a private taxi who was EXCELLENT! There were 4 of us and it was 200 Euros for 8 hours. He picked us up at 8:30 and we saw the Acropolis, the Agora, Temple of Zeus, Archeological Museum (Acropolis Museums was closed, it was a Monday), the changing of the guards, the first Olympic stadium and finally the Plaka. We were back to the ship by 4:30. We finished everything well between the 11.5 hours we had.

Just returned! We had a private taxi who was EXCELLENT! There were 4 of us and it was 200 Euros for 8 hours. He picked us up at 8:30 and we saw the Acropolis, the Agora, Temple of Zeus, Archeological Museum (Acropolis Museums was closed, it was a Monday), the changing of the guards, the first Olympic stadium and finally the Plaka. We were back to the ship by 4:30. We finished everything well between the 11.5 hours we had.

Would you share the name and contact info for your tour guide?

Hmmm....we plan to see all of those things, except the Olympic stadium, on our own for the whopping cost of 3 euro per person (6 euro total) for transportation for the day. That's a savings of 194 euro!

Hmmm....we plan to see all of those things, except the Olympic stadium, on our own for the whopping cost of 3 euro per person (6 euro total) for transportation for the day. That's a savings of 194 euro!

Hi cruisemom - I assume then you're planning to use public transport and walking? If not what's your secret? We're in Athens next Friday overnighting for a 9/ 26 cruise departing from Pireus.Leah

Cynthia, do not forget the 12 Euros per ticket for the archeological sites plus 5 Euros for the Jewish Museum, making it a whopping 20 Euros per person for the day! :D

Hi cruisemom - I assume then you're planning to use public transport and walking? If not what's your secret? We're in Athens next Friday overnighting for a 9/ 26 cruise departing from Pireus.Leah

Yes, an all-day Metro pass is 3 euro per person. :) On one of these Athens/metro threads I posted my planned itinerary for the day. It should be easily doable on your own. If you want me to re-post it to this thread, let me know.

Cynthia, do not forget the 12 Euros per ticket for the archeological sites plus 5 Euros for the Jewish Museum, making it a whopping 20 Euros per person for the day! :D

Yes.....but I figured the taxi driver's cost of 200 euro did not include those costs either. ;)

On behalf of the "independent travel in ports organization" we salute you! As you would have discovered, getting from Pireaus to Athens and than around Athens is relatively easy ( and very cheap) if you do a little pre-trip homework. I was happy to see the poster who used a taxi mention the cost. Too many times we have folks posting info about their wonderful tours or taxi drivers, but most seem to neglect that "minor" fact regarding cost. A family of 4 can easily save thousands of dollars on a Med cruise by traveling on their own and using public transit and rental cars.

Hank

We did a very similar itinerary in August. We started at Syntagma Square (metro stop here) and saw Changing of the Guard at the Parliament building. From there, we walked to Jewish Museum. After the museum, we walked through the Plaka and stopped there for lunch. We then climbed to Acropolis and Parthenon. We descended from the opposite side of the Parthenon and visited the New Acropolis Museum. We planned to take metro to Piraeus from the Akropoli stop near the New Acropolis Museum, but green line was closed for construction, so we returned via taxi. What a great day! Enjoy.

Appreciate your reply cruisemom42 & advice from shoebiz too.:)

We're staying @ the I C Intercontinental Athenian, (arriving one day pre-cruise) seems very close to the Acropolis, was planning to check out of hotel (morning of embarkation 9/26) then tour around Athens first stop Acropolis then the adjacent new musem. We have two choices - Plan A-check out of the Intercontinenetal and let them hold/ store our luggage before we embark the Odyssey @ Pireus which implies returning to the hotel , or Plan B take luggage with us in a 1/2 day or 4-hour pre-reserved driver (have been researching on boards for reliable taxi service). I understand most if not all of the drivers are just that drivers , NOT guides. Cost is necessarily driving our decision - maximizing time and convenienice is a priority w/o breaking the bank though.:rolleyes:

Shoebiz's itinerray seems pretty similar to what we'd like to see with little exception. Would to hear more about this "Flea Market" to see if worthwhile stop in terms of variety of goods, time, value.

In advance thanks for asny additional in-put, very useful thread.:)

Leah, RN

The flea market is fun, but not particularly memorable. With limited touring time, I would give it a miss, unless getting inexpensive tourist items as gifts to take home is a high priority.

Thanks Wendy:) "inexpensive tourist items..high priority" - NOT !:rolleyes:

Based on some reviews of the cafe @ the new Acroplois museum - I think we may just grab a bite at their cafe in lieu of eating @ the Platka- this should last us until we board Odyssey - have to save room for their delectables of course .:D

My cruise is only in Athens from 8am-1pm. I was on a cruise that stopped in Athens back in 2005 and I remember that we walked from the ship to the Metro and took it up to the Parthenon and did a self tour of the area. I would like to do this again but I cannot remember how long it took. Will we have enough time to do this on October 31 (I can't imagine the crowds will be that big at this time)? Thanks for your help.

Would you share the name and contact info for your tour guide?

For us the 200 Euros was well spent and extremely reasonable for a private taxi for 8 hours. We used Fotis Kolliris - he was excellent and I'd recommend him to anyone. If you google Fotis Athens Taxi, his website comes up.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder to be aware of the pickpockets on the Metro to and from Athens. They can be very aggressive and can spot tourists a mile away. They often work in teams and will surround their victims, "attacking" just as the train pulls into a station. Just be aware of your surroundings and watch your belongings. Other than that, Athens is a wonderful city to visit and explore on your own. The food is marvelous and historical sites are unbelievable. Have a great time.

Is it pretty simple to get to the metro station from the cruise port? I mean, I know you have to walk there, but is it easy to find?

Also, has anyone here ever used the bus to go from Athens to Cape Sounion on their own? We're now most likely going to try and do Athens on our own using public transportation, and our thought is to try and take the metro into Athens, and then get on the bus to Cape Sounion in the morning, and take it back to Athens after lunch and sightsee Athens in the afternoon. We're thinking that this route will get us to both sites when they are less busy (Cape Sounion in the morning and Athens in the afternoon). Does this sound feasible?

Is it pretty simple to get to the metro station from the cruise port? I mean, I know you have to walk there, but is it easy to find?

Also, has anyone here ever used the bus to go from Athens to Cape Sounion on their own? We're now most likely going to try and do Athens on our own using public transportation, and our thought is to try and take the metro into Athens, and then get on the bus to Cape Sounion in the morning, and take it back to Athens after lunch and sightsee Athens in the afternoon. We're thinking that this route will get us to both sites when they are less busy (Cape Sounion in the morning and Athens in the afternoon). Does this sound feasible?

1. It is a large circular harbor, with the cruise ship port about 180 degrees across from the metro terminus. You should be able to spot it because there is a large elevated walkway across the very busy road that circles the port directly by the metro, which is easily spotted from aboard your ship. It is about a 20-minute walk. You probably have read that this green line is the worst for pickpockets, so be sure to wear your moneybelt on your day in Athens.

2. It definitely is not feasible to do both central Athens and Cape Sounion in one day from Piraues using public transportation only. From central Athens, it is more than a two-hour bus ride to Cape Sounion, so I definitely would not try to do both in one port day. Perhaps you could with a private tour, but not with public transportation. (For example, once you get to the metro in Piraeus. it is a 20-25 minute ride to central Athens alone.)

For one day, enjoy the Acropolis and other archaelogical sites, including the Greek Agora, Roman Agora with Temple of Winds, Temple of Olympian Zeus, etc., on your 12-Euro ticket. Also, the New Acropolis Museum costs only one Euro per person through year-end 2009, so definitely drop in there, even if only for the great restrooms and views alone!

Take a look at Rick Steves website for some ideas for your day in Athens.

Bon voyage!

Pam

• 1 month later...

Can anyone give more detailed info re the walk from the ship to the train station ? Is there a sidewalk, or do you have to find your way through a series of parking lots? Are there any taxis available at the station for a ride back to the ship, in case we are really tired from a day of touring ? Is this a safe area for tourists ? Thanks in advance for any info.

Can anyone give more detailed info re the walk from the ship to the train station ? Is there a sidewalk, or do you have to find your way through a series of parking lots? Are there any taxis available at the station for a ride back to the ship, in case we are really tired from a day of touring ? Is this a safe area for tourists ? Thanks in advance for any info.

The walk around the harbor to the metro terminus is on a sidewalk, like a busy city street in any metropolitan area.

You easily can find a taxi back to the ship, for 10 Euros (tourist rip-off price) or 5 Euros if lucky. Another alternative is the #843 bus which circles the harbor on this large street, but it runs only every 15 minutes, although your metro ticket should be good for a free ride (I think the tickets are good for one hour).

The area definitely is safe for tourists, except for pickpockets. Use a moneybelt; the metro green line in particular is famous for its expert thiefs.

Archived