if we only do one Mansion in Newport, which one?

Excited to go crusing

:confused: We are not really into mansions, having seen quite a few out West (built by Gold & Copper kings) & also having seen stately homes in England/Ireland but I am not sure what else to do in Newport, So if we decided to do a Mansion, which would you recommend.? We are more into nature than buildings

I would definitely see the most famous. The Breakers. What else to do? Go to the Black Pearl Restaurant and have their famous clam chowder and the lobster aint to shabby either.

On our repositioning cruise on the MS Maasdam from Fort Lauderdale to Montreal last May we tendered in Newport. Beautiful New England city.

I would definitely see the most famous. The Breakers. What else to do? Go to the Black Pearl Restaurant and have their famous clam chowder and the lobster aint to shabby either.

This what we did in Newport but instead of the lobster we had a serving of steamed mussels with our chowder

This what we did in Newport but instead of the lobster we had a serving of steamed mussels with our chowder

That sounds like the winner combo to me. Don't forget to go online and get one of their fabulous TShirts....

On our repositioning cruise on the MS Maasdam from Fort Lauderdale to Montreal last May we tendered in Newport. Beautiful New England city.

Do you know if you need to book tickets for the Breakers in advance, and also did you use a taxi to get to and from the Breakers and is the restaurant in walking distance of the pier?

Thanks!

Safarigal asked: ......Do you know if you need to book tickets for the Breakers in advance?...

A: It is not needed. You can buy the tickets at the gate; but if time is available, I would recommend buying them online. One less wait when you arrive.

Q: ...also did you use a taxi to get to and from the Breakers...

A: A Newport city bus goes right by the Breakers; taxis are also available, but not really needed. Both buses and taxis can be found at the Newport Visitors Center, on block north of the tender dock.

Q: ... is the restaurant in walking distance of the pier?....

A: Yes, the Moorings, the Black Pearl, Brick Alley Pub, the Red Parrot, White Horse Tavern, to name a few.

Safarigal asked: ......Do you know if you need to book tickets for the Breakers in advance?...

A: It is not needed. You can buy the tickets at the gate; but if time is available, I would recommend buying them online. One less wait when you arrive.

Q: ...also did you use a taxi to get to and from the Breakers...

A: A Newport city bus goes right by the Breakers; taxis are also available, but not really needed. Both buses and taxis can be found at the Newport Visitors Center, on block north of the tender dock.

Q: ... is the restaurant in walking distance of the pier?....

A: Yes, the Moorings, the Black Pearl, Brick Alley Pub, the Red Parrot, White Horse Tavern, to name a few.

Thanks! And I am sure you have been asked this a million times, but is there access to the Cliff Walk in the vicinity of the tender pier?

safarigal asked: ....is there access to the Cliff Walk in the vicinity of the tender pier?....

CW is not near the tender dock; CW is near the mansions. In fact, it is the eastern border of most mansions. If you were to tour the Breakers, you will be very close to CW. The same bus that would take you to the Breakers will take you near to CW. If after a touring the Breakers, you turned left on the street the Breakers fronts on and turned left at the next intersection (Ruggles Ave) and followed Ruggles Ave to the end, you could enter CW.

However, CW does not start there but you'll be entering near to mid-point. There are maps of CW here: http://www.cliffwalk.com/ which will provide you better understanding of the mansions and CW.

safarigal asked: ....is there access to the Cliff Walk in the vicinity of the tender pier?....

CW is not near the tender dock; CW is near the mansions. In fact, it is the eastern border of most mansions. If you were to tour the Breakers, you will be very close to CW. The same bus that would take you to the Breakers will take you near to CW. If after a touring the Breakers, you turned left on the street the Breakers fronts on and turned left at the next intersection (Ruggles Ave) and followed Ruggles Ave to the end, you could enter CW.

However, CW does not start there but you'll be entering near to mid-point. There are maps of CW here: http://www.cliffwalk.com/ which will provide you better understanding of the mansions and CW.

Thanks! This time next week we will be in Newport, what fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Bristol, RI, about a 15 minute drive from Newport. There are a lot of shops on America's Cup Boulevard, and Thames Street which is across the street from the Visitor's Center.

If you go to http://www.google.com and Google “Newport RI Taxi Cabs”, you will get a good list, I would keep the numbers handy in the event that you can't get on the bus, or get stranded and need a quick ride to the ship.

If you feel like walking to the mansions, it can be quite an endeavor, head South on America's Cup Boulevard (keep the water on your right), until you hit the "Wave" statue (surfer's feet sticking out of a wave) at the statue, that intersection is Memorial Boulevard, a 5 minute walk up a slight hill will take you to Bellvue Ave, or the Million Dollar Mile. Take a right on to Bellevue and you can stroll the grounds.

If you go to http://www.newportmansions.org , you can "Pre-tour" the mansions to see which one(s) that you are interested in. I recommend taking a cab to Belleview Ave, however Newport on a Sunday can be quite congested.

October 10-11 the Beavertail Lighthouse in Jamestown (you need a cab fare to get over the Pell Bridge $4. toll each way plus cab fare) will be open to tours http://www.beavertaillight.org

October 10-12 The 17th Annual International Oktoberfest will be held in Newport at the Newport Yachting Center (traffic will most definitely be a nightmare if you plan on cabbing it to the mansions, so allow for added time.

October 17-18 Bowen's Wharf will be having the Seafood Festival , Great food, sample a "Stuffie" stuffed quahog and New England Clam Chowder. http://www.bowenswharf.com

Regardless, if you get off of the ship by 9 AM, you will have no problem taking in the local shops and restaurants, and touring the mansions, and still making it back to the ship on time.

http://www.newportwaterfrontevents.com

Another nice excursion is the 72’ Schooner “Madeline” the tour will take you through Newport harbor, out to Fort Adams and the surrounding area, each tour lasts about 90 minutes, tickets $ 27.00 per person http://www.cruisenewport.com

I highly recommend this tour, I have done it in the past, and it is a nice relaxing excursion!

Welcome to Rhode Island!!!

• 1 month later...
:confused: We are not really into mansions, having seen quite a few out West (built by Gold & Copper kings) & also having seen stately homes in England/Ireland but I am not sure what else to do in Newport, So if we decided to do a Mansion, which would you recommend.? We are more into nature than buildings

I believe the Breakers is the most famous in the area and imo it's very much worth a visit.

Archived