Need help on situation

Rick Niles

We leave on the Splendor this Sunday(sept 20th) and my friends had paid for their mother to come along. The mother has never traveled before and she is having severe anxiety over it to the point of flu like symptoms......

The doctor says she should not go, just wondering if this is a good enough excuse for the insurance to kick in?

Also would Carnival let the family put the money spent on this room go into their onboard account?

any opinions or experience would be great....

Rick

First of all, unless she has a documented medical reason, I seriously doubt the insurance will kick in. As for the other question, if she booked Early Saver, more than likely she will only get credit towards another cruise (less $50) taken in the next 18 months.

The mother has never traveled before and she is having severe anxiety over it to the point of flu like symptoms......

The doctor says she should not go, just wondering if this is a good enough excuse for the insurance to kick in?

Why not have her go back to the doc for some xanax or valium? Once she gets going, she might really love it!

Why not have her go back to the doc for some xanax or valium? Once she gets going, she might really love it!

This gets my voite. As much as I love to travel I suffer from anxiety when I am away from home and I have to take xanax when I fly and something a little milder for everyday use when I am away. The only time I take pill for anxiety is when I travel. The doctor says it just being away from my "comfort zone" that causes my travel anxiety.

Sorry, but drugs are not the answer.:(

I travel for work, airline travel induces panic/anxiety for me. There are prescription medicines that help with the anxiety and to make a generally sweeping comment such as "drugs are not the answer" is a sign that you are not informed as to the benefits of such medication. I hope, for your sake, you do not ever need such medicines . . . . but for those of us that do, they make otherwise impossible situations manageable.

If it takes drugging her to get her on a boat, cruising might just might not be for her. Sorry, but drugs are not the answer.:(
As a registered nurse I can tell you, plenty of people need medication on occasion to deal with anxiety. If she can get past her fear, a whole new world of travel could be opened up for her.

I'm not suggesting her son hit some back alley for some rohypnol. :rolleyes:

We leave on the Splendor this Sunday(sept 20th) and my friends had paid for their mother to come along. The mother has never traveled before and she is having severe anxiety over it to the point of flu like symptoms......

Also would Carnival let the family put the money spent on this room go into their onboard account?

Rick

If the ship is leaving Sept 20th, next Sunday you are within 7 days of sailing and get nothing back, even if she cancels now. The person who said she can change the date for $50 probably didnt see that you are way past final payment so regular cancellation rules have kicked in.

Get her some muscle relaxer or prosac from the doctor and get a wheelchair when you get there and wheel her on.

Get her some muscle relaxer or prosac from the doctor and get a wheelchair when you get there and wheel her on.
Neither of those medications are appropriate for this situation. She needs an anti-anxiety med, none of which will leave her incapacitated. She just won't be afraid. :cool:

Why would she want a later date anyway if she can't get on next week? Definitely take her to the doctor for some anti-anxiety meds if she is willing. I can not fly without them. I don't need them any other time but flying does it to me. And it's best for the other fliers too not to have me all crazed.

This same situation came up with my Mom a few years back. She had never been afraid to travel before--had traveled extensively the world but as she got older she got very anxious--not so much about the flying part but the packing and getting ready--she always was extremely organized and felt she was not as she got older. anyway, the Dr faxed a note to the insurance company stating that it was not a healthy situation for her and she got her money back and money for the extra my sis-in-law had to pay since it made her a single traveler. No hassle just took about 4 weeks after the cruise to get a check.

Good luck.

I am not sure if her excuse is good enough for a cancelation....so we are looking into the $50 fee and a credit on a future cruise....

Rick

there is not $50 fee and rebook with a credit on a future cruise ... the person must have not noticed you are booked for THIS Sunday. The cancellation penalty at this point is 100% of her cruise fare.

Rick

If the doctor said this, why would he then give her drugs?

If the doctor said this, why would he then give her drugs?

Perhaps if he understood that her issue is anxiety, not flu, and that she is going to be out a lot of money if she can't overcome her fear of travel, he might.

Otherwise, he's not the only doc in the sea. :D

My TA did all he could and basicly its at the insurance stage now......but if for any reason it gets rejected the resolution dept at Carnival will look at it closer and offer them something.....time will only tell......

Thanks for all the input....

Rick

I thought the same thing...if the doctor SAYS she can't go, the insurance company should kick in...

I agree that time is the thing here...you need to get going with the insurance company..and maybe you all need to visit the doctor and see exactly what he is saying

and what can be done

what does the lady herself want to do is another question?? does she want to sail..stay home...sail in the future or ??

Why is this even an option?

The doctor has already told her NOT to travel. That should be more than enough to kick in the insurance, but even if it is not only a fool would travel against medical advice. You cannot buy health.

Archived