Specialty restaurant rating and recommendation (Pearl)

ppwlee

Hi,

Looking for last minute advise on dining option for cruising Pearl from vancouver to LA in 3 days. I've heard that they are worth the extra pay but can anyone point me to any comprehensive review of these restaurants and if possible, some objective opinion/ rating? Thanks very much.

What you're going to find are plenty of personal opinions, but I'm not sure there's a 'rating' anywhere.

Speaking of personal opinions... heh

Teppanyaki is my favourite specialty restaurant. I order the steak and shrimp and ask for scallops to be added on and they always accommodate with a smile. The fried rice is delish, and the show is fun, too.

Cagney's is a close second. I highly recommend the prime rib, which comes to your table in a trolley so you get to choose the roast that your serving will be cut from. There's no confusion about whether you and the chef agree on what 'medium' means. All of the appetizers and sides are to die for, also. I don't tend to particularly like french fries, but theirs are nothing short of amazing; they're definitely a 'do not miss' item. Make sure you're hungry, too; there's a LOT of food.

My family also really enjoys the main Asian restaurant. We order one of every appetizer and three entrees and share everything. YUMMY!!

So far, these are the only ones we've tried (including on the Pearl), so I can't comment on the others, but these three are all definitely worth the money. At least that's our opinion! :)

Hi,

Looking for last minute advise on dining option for cruising Pearl from vancouver to LA in 3 days. I've heard that they are worth the extra pay but can anyone point me to any comprehensive review of these restaurants and if possible, some objective opinion/ rating? Thanks very much.

Unlike mainland restaurants-- the head chefs in these restaurants change out

on a regular basis--what may have been excellent four months ago may not be

the case now. To give a current rating has to be based on very recent experience and by the time you cruise it may have changed. For example I cruised on the Pearl in July of 2007--that is to long ago to give you a sound recommendation. The menus stay the same--the cooks change quite a lot.

Big Green

To throw in my opinion...

We were on the Pearl in July.

Loved Teppanyaki..had steak and shrimp...yum, yum.

Loved Lotus Garden, the Asian restaurant. Several of us went and we tried several appetizers and entrees and there wasn't a one that I didn't like (and I'm a very picky eater).

Cagney's was a disappointment for us. The food was fine, nothing terrible, but nothing outstanding. My steak was better at Teppanyaki, I think.

What you're going to find are plenty of personal opinions, but I'm not sure there's a 'rating' anywhere.

Speaking of personal opinions... heh

Teppanyaki is my favourite specialty restaurant. I order the steak and shrimp and ask for scallops to be added on and they always accommodate with a smile. The fried rice is delish, and the show is fun, too.

Cagney's is a close second. I highly recommend the prime rib, which comes to your table in a trolley so you get to choose the roast that your serving will be cut from. There's no confusion about whether you and the chef agree on what 'medium' means. All of the appetizers and sides are to die for, also. I don't tend to particularly like french fries, but theirs are nothing short of amazing; they're definitely a 'do not miss' item. Make sure you're hungry, too; there's a LOT of food.

My family also really enjoys the main Asian restaurant. We order one of every appetizer and three entrees and share everything. YUMMY!!

So far, these are the only ones we've tried (including on the Pearl), so I can't comment on the others, but these three are all definitely worth the money. At least that's our opinion! :)

I completely agree with CT here. We loved Teppanyaki, Cagney's and Lotus Garden very much. If you do choose Lotus Garden you have got to try their ribs that are an appetizer choice. TO DIE FOR. They also have a dessert that is very yummy - Warm Banana Pancakes. They are banana pancakes topped with a coconut like syrup, bananas and topped with coconut ice cream. I'm sure it is only like 50 or 60 calories.. LOL.

And I am sorry this comes across as so low brow, but one of my favorite dishes consistantly on all NCL ships is the PB&J through room service as a snack. I honestly don't know how they make them so good, but I could NOT go on a cruise and not have them several times during the week.

Finally, the hot wings in Blue Lagoon are a must. Again, they have consistantly been great on any NCL ship I have had them on. SO DELICIOUS. 8-)

And I am sorry this comes across as so low brow, but one of my favorite dishes consistantly on all NCL ships is the PB&J through room service as a snack. I honestly don't know how they make them so good, but I could NOT go on a cruise and not have them several times during the week.

8-)

You are in big trouble if I can't get one tomorrow on the Star as I have seen you many times bragging about these that I had told DH that I wanted one on our last cruise. I was told due to the PB being pulled from most retail and other places due to the scare of (was it salmonella? ecoli?) there was no PB on board! I was so disappointed.:rolleyes: So, if I don't.... I know you are going to be here next spring - better watch out! :eek: lol

OP... I would definately recommend Teppanyaki's and Cagney's... and the italian place was good too.

On the Pearl in January, we ate dinner at Cagney's (good) and Lotus Garden (excellent).

As Terrymtex01 said, the appetizer of ribs in the Lotus Garden are to die for! Hubby and I split an order --- next time we each get our own order :D.

We also ate at the Jazz Brunch that was held in the Le Bistro restaurant. Hubby and I thought it was very good, but hubby didn't think it was worth the $15 price tag, while I did.

You are in big trouble if I can't get one tomorrow on the Star as I have seen you many times bragging about these that I had told DH that I wanted one on our last cruise. I was told due to the PB being pulled from most retail and other places due to the scare of (was it salmonella? ecoli?) there was no PB on board! I was so disappointed.:rolleyes: So, if I don't.... I know you are going to be here next spring - better watch out! :eek: lol

OP... I would definately recommend Teppanyaki's and Cagney's... and the italian place was good too.

LOL.. if they dont have them on the Star for you that means they probably will not have them on the Dawn for me this Nov... And I will be VERY depressed by that.

LOL.. if they dont have them on the Star for you that means they probably will not have them on the Dawn for me this Nov... And I will be VERY depressed by that.

Well, you are off the hook for now but sorry to say that I can't tell you if you will be able to get your PBJ in Nov. We were too full to even think about ordering one. :o

Although only on for one day I will say that we liked the Star but... she is in need of some major TLC. I think I saw on CC that she is going in for some in Oct/Nov? I did like the layout though and the crew were helpful and friendly. They seemed like they were pretty relaxed even though it was a 1 nighter but that was probably because the ship was only 1/2 full. We actually did get a great last minute upsell when we got onboard to an AB. We were looking forward to meeting Simone although for one night couldn't think of anything we would need her for but were going to send her your greetings. Unfortunately we were not told when we upgraded that there would be no butler/concierge which again was no biggie. I was a little miffed (okay a LOT miffed) that there would be no Crab Cake Benedict in Cagney's in the morning as they would not be open! WAAAAHH! I really had my mouth set on it and told DH that not sure I would have taken the upsell had I known. But so glad we did as it is the same type cabin exactly that we will have on the Pearl in January (minus the courtyard). So we got a chance to check it out to see that mom and sis will be quite comfortable in there with us. The only thing I forgot to check out was the hideabed in the living room to see how comfortable it is although just sitting on it as a couch it was quite comfy.

GL in November and hope your trip is a happy one with lots of fun and PB&J!:)

They also have a dessert that is very yummy - Warm Banana Pancakes. They are banana pancakes topped with a coconut like syrup, bananas and topped with coconut ice cream. I'm sure it is only like 50 or 60 calories.. LOL.

LOL!! That really gave me a big laugh after the day I have had today! Gosh, I just made the hubby and I a Weight Watchers cherry cheese dessert and was eating it while reading your post Terry.....OMG, funny!

Tomorrow, we will be back at the gym to abuse ourselves some more so we can enjoy the "low calorie":eek: treats in a little over two months!:D

We haven't sailed the Pearl but will in April. Based on all the others we have sailed I always put Le Bistro at the top of the list and Teppanaki's at the bottom. The reason I put it at the bottom, although it is good and fun, for $25 I can get the same thing or maybe even better on land. Le Bistro is the original sur charge dining room, being part of NCL for about 12 years thus they do it right. We also have always enjoyed the Asian restaurant and the Italian choice. Hubby loves Cagney's, I am not a huge Cagney supporter.

Nita

Archived