Miami Hotel - Family Friendly- Pre-Cruise

cckp72

Hi - I have been researching these forums and other websites for some information, but I have ended up more confused as ever.

We will be arriving to FLL the day before a cruise that leaves from POM. We will stay in Miami for this night. I am looking for a hotel that is in a safe area, and also has a nice pool or the beach close by for the kids to play. Since we will not have a car, I would also like to be able to walk or quick bus ride to restaurants.

I was looking at the Trump hotel, but it seems fairly far to the port to me - we will be cabbing it, so I would prefer something closer so as not to have to spend too much $$.

Am I asking for too much!? What about the hotels in Coconut Grove? Is that a viable option?!

Thanks so much. This is our first family cruise and our first time to Miami - so I am confused and appreaciate any help!

I stayed at the Trump Sonesta and think it's fabulous. However it was not connected to a cruise, just a few days vacation in Miami, so I do not know how far it is from the port of Miami. There were 6 of us and we got 2 connecting rooms. They have a complimentary shuttle to South Beach and Adventura Mall. We had a small child with us and they even put a carseat in the shuttle for us.

Sometimes they have great specials. Also there is a Publix across the street.

You have to be careful at the Trump because the rooms are privately owned and each one is different. Inspect your room before you accept it as there are big variations in quality.

cckp, what are the ages of your kids? Close to the POM and beach is definitely South Beach but you may have hangups about topless beaches. There are some great family hotels in South Beach and you will see a lot of families there. Try the Ritz-Carlton and The Loews.

The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne is another favorite of mine for families.

Google family friendly Miami and you'll find a plethora of ideas.

You have to be careful at the Trump because the rooms are privately owned and each one is different. Inspect your room before you accept it as there are big variations in quality.

cckp, what are the ages of your kids? Close to the POM and beach is definitely South Beach but you may have hangups about topless beaches. There are some great family hotels in South Beach and you will see a lot of families there. Try the Ritz-Carlton and The Loews.

The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne is another favorite of mine for families.

Google family friendly Miami and you'll find a plethora of ideas.

It was my understanding that there are actually 2 Trump buildings. One is the hotel and the other is privately owned condos. They are next door to each other.

This is info I was told by the front desk when I was there. I certainly did not mean to mislead anyone.

It was my understanding that there are actually 2 Trump buildings. One is the hotel and the other is privately owned condos. They are next door to each other.

This is info I was told by the front desk when I was there. I certainly did not mean to mislead anyone.

You didn't mislead anyone. They privately owned condos are on the rental management companies inventory along with the hotel rooms which are also all privately owned. The 'hotel' is the property management company and it is run exactly like a hotel. Sometimes they are referred to as condotels.

Hi - I have been researching these forums and other websites for some information, but I have ended up more confused as ever.

We will be arriving to FLL the day before a cruise that leaves from POM. We will stay in Miami for this night. I am looking for a hotel that is in a safe area, and also has a nice pool or the beach close by for the kids to play. Since we will not have a car, I would also like to be able to walk or quick bus ride to restaurants.

I was looking at the Trump hotel, but it seems fairly far to the port to me - we will be cabbing it, so I would prefer something closer so as not to have to spend too much $$.

Am I asking for too much!? What about the hotels in Coconut Grove? Is that a viable option?!

Thanks so much. This is our first family cruise and our first time to Miami - so I am confused and appreaciate any help!

We have a group of 23 going April 30th. We got rooms at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. On their web site we were able to get rooms for $136 plus tax. At this price they are non refunadable but a great rate. This is right at the port. Bayside Market Place is right next door with lots of places to eat and shop. And they also have entertainment . It is 2 1/2 miles to South Beach and there is transportation to get there. There is a CVS and Walgreens right by it , too.

Yes, Trump is a long way from the Port of Miami. If you won't have a rental car then I wouldn't consider that.

You don't say when you're coming or what your budget is, but I would look at South Beach, just across the causeway from Port of Miami.

Look at Marriott Courtyard South Beach. It's a great place for a family on a budget. It's only a couple of blocks from the beach, has a great rooftop pool and is in the heart of South Beach with lots of restaurants, shops, and everything else you could possibly want within easy walking distance... http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/miacb-courtyard-miami-beach-south-beach/

Also you mention you're flying into FLL. And you mentioned cabs. You don't want to take a cab that far. Either take a shuttle service, or a limo. A limo will likely cost about the same as a cab and will be far more comfy over that distance.

Try Miami Beach Grand Hotel, this property will open at the end of Nov. Seems reasonable and kid friendly. 4000 block of Collins Ave. Not to far from the POM either.

We are staying there in Jan. Hope this helps.

Problem with that area though is if you don't have a car there's nothing to walk to. The area is nice, but it's mostly condos and a couple of other hotels, not much else.

Problem with that area though is if you don't have a car there's nothing to walk to. The area is nice, but it's mostly condos and a couple of other hotels, not much else.

Being in the 4000 block how far south can the action be ? Stuff to do ?

Public transportation easily accessible ?

Can't be that bad, right ?

Being in the 4000 block how far south can the action be ? Stuff to do ?

Public transportation easily accessible ?

Can't be that bad, right ?

There isn't much north of about 20th & Collins, and it's in the 4800 block of Collins so it's a bit far to walk. Yes there are busses you can take, or grab a taxi.

It looks like a gorgeous new hotel, just a bit north of the action. Personally I'd want a car there. I don't like being stuck, or having to rely on public transit, but to each his own.

Thanks for all the Replies - I really appreciate all the information.

I think we are trying to get to the Eden Roc now. It seems to be in a decent area with things to do - and the cab to POM wouldn't be too long or too much, would it?

We are going to use the recommendations on this board for SAS transport to get from the airport to the hotel, but then we would need the cab from the hotel to the ship.

Thanks for all the Replies - I really appreciate all the information.

I think we are trying to get to the Eden Roc now. It seems to be in a decent area with things to do - and the cab to POM wouldn't be too long or too much, would it?

We are going to use the recommendations on this board for SAS transport to get from the airport to the hotel, but then we would need the cab from the hotel to the ship.

Eden Roc is a very nice hotel, but it's only a couple of blocks from the new Miami Beach Grand hotel mentioned above. The area is very nice, but it's mostly condos and a few hotels, there's nothing to do up there, nothing to walk to. You'll need a cab to get to South Beach as you're 25-30 blocks north of the action. Personally I wouldn't want to be stuck up there without a car unless you just want to sit on the beach and spend time in the hotel.

To hi-jack this thread for a minute - Trent - Its nice to "see you" back again!!!

So ... Perhaps I will start a new thread, but do you know anything about Tampa hotels? Jan

Thanks, but sorry I don't know Tampa hotels at all.

Try Miami Beach Grand Hotel, this property will open at the end of Nov. Seems reasonable and kid friendly. 4000 block of Collins Ave. Not to far from the POM either.

We are staying there in Jan. Hope this helps.

Please don't recommend hotels you've never stayed in.

I agree with Trent that Mid Beach isn't the greatest place to stay. That part of Collins is too busy and not much within walking distance.

The South Seas and The Marseilles are both great value oceanfront South Beach hotels.

On the other hand, Eden Roc is a self-contained resort with a nice beach and pools and, if you are willing to spend the money, between Eden Roc and the Fountainbleu next door you will find a number of decent restaurants.

Neil/Miami

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot find anything about Best Western Atlantic beach, address 4101 Collins Ave. This is where I am booked so I need to make the best of it. I will be staying here the day before I cruise next week. Is there any stores ............I think I posted this hotel a few times and no one seems to say anything.............

I need help,

Dorene

I cannot find anything about Best Western Atlantic beach, address 4101 Collins Ave. This is where I am booked so I need to make the best of it. I will be staying here the day before I cruise next week. Is there any stores ............I think I posted this hotel a few times and no one seems to say anything.............

I need help,

Dorene

There's nothing near there except a few other hotels and a lot of condos. It's just a tired old hotel 20 blocks north of any shops & restaurants.

There's nothing near there except a few other hotels and a lot of condos. It's just a tired old hotel 20 blocks north of any shops & restaurants.

well, I like the beach, and that is a plus, I was just hoping for a small store to pick up some distilled water for my husbands CPAP machine. I will make the best out of the tired old hotel.

Dorene

• 2 weeks later...

I returned from my cruise and my stay at Best Western Atlantic Beach hotel. I must say it was wonderful. The hotel is on the beach and the water was warm and the waves were wonderful. I found the rooms large and clean, we spent most of the day at the pool and pool bar. I saw many single people, couples and families there. This was a very nice hotel for a pre or post cruise. If you are looking for night life, not too much..........but if your looking for a nice hotel, with a great beach and service.........the restaurant was good, I had the red snapper with mango salsa........yummy.........

What some may think as old and tired...........others may truely enjoy.

Dorene

Archived