Portofino's vs. Formal Night

Our travel agent advised us to book Portofino's on formal night to avoid crowds. I had heard that the food, etc., is best in the dining room on that night so am reluctant to do so. Comments?

We're on the 5/30 VOS to Canada sailing. I'm assuming that formal night will be Monday?

Geri

Portofino's is wonderful and I am not sure what crowds she is referring to. I had dinner there on a formal night and the restaurant was full for the 2 plus hours I was there.

It is very lovely and service oriented and was a highlight of my cruise.

If you like the menu in the dining room that evening - check early when they post it outsid the dining room - then enjoy Portofino's on a different.

I cannot imagine Portofino's feeling crowded. The tables are nicely spaced and the room is just not that large.

Whatever you decide, enjoy. I will dine there twice next cruise.

CG

RCI(37),NCL(12),Princess(1),HAL(2),Celebrity(3), Carnival(2), Eastern (13),Radisson(2), Star Clippers(1),Home Lines(2), Costa(5),Big Red Boat (6), Dolphin (1), Commodore (2), Others (11)

Oh, we have every intention of eating there - just wasn't sure what the best time was. I guess she meant it might be easier to get reservations on formal night. How far in advance did you need to make reservations?

Geri

It was the second formal night later in the week and the concierge took care of this for me. I do remember requesting a table about 2 days before.

RCI(37),NCL(12),Princess(1),HAL(2),Celebrity(3), Carnival(2), Eastern (13),Radisson(2), Star Clippers(1),Home Lines(2), Costa(5),Big Red Boat (6), Dolphin (1), Commodore (2), Others (11)

The formal nights have the best food in the dining room. We always book Chops the first night of the cruise. The dining room is always in chaos the first night with people trying to find there tables,people running late, luggage not delivered and on and on. Go to Portofino or Chops the first night and you will be glad. The service is even better because the place is nearly empty. Atleast this is what we experienced on the Navigator in Feb and the Radiance in Nov.

The BEST food in the main dining room is on the first formal night. I would book Portifinos for a different night.
If you don't mind parting with $50 per person, the murder mystery was wonderful. We ate there twice. My only regret was not dining there more. Even the first night would be great. That way you would miss the mass confusion of the dining room and you would get to see if you like it. If you do, you can book more. It is lovely.

[img]http://members.aol.com/SharonWsmn/pg5/catwalk4.gif[/img]
Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!
[img]http://members.aol.com/SharonWsmn/pg5/catwalk3.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The only night I wouldn't go to Portofino's or chops would be formal night. Strange advice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>We do the exact opposite...We do alternative dinning on one of the formal nights. I dress up 5 days a week and prefer to only wear a suit or tux 1 time during a 7 day cruise

[I]<p style="font-family:lucida calligraphy;font-size:110%;color:black">Felix K. ~~ [email="fk89@yahoo.com"]fk89@yahoo.com[/email]</p>[/I][I]<p style="font-family: palatino linotype;font-size:120%;color:black">[B]Carnival[/B]: Inspiration, Aug’97 - Fascination, Nov‘98
[B]Princess[/B]: Sea, Nov‘99 - Dawn, Nov‘00 - Grand, Nov‘03
[B]RCCL[/B]: Adventure, Nov‘01 - Radiance, June & Nov’02 - Monarch, May’03
[B]Next Up[/B]: Star Princess, Nov’04 [/I]

Well, the cruise we are on (VOS 5/30) doesn't leave until 10 p.m. and has a 6 p.m. boarding time, so I'm not even sure Portofino's would be open that night. I will check, though - otherwise, think we'll plan for one of the port days as there doesn't seem to be a tremendous amount to do in either port.

Thanks for the input!

Geri

Went we first boarded on the Brilliance, we went exploring. We happened onto Portofinos and Chops. Made our reservations right there and thenfor the cruise. Even booked the Murder Mystery Dinner. The Best!

I believe that the speciality restaurants will have the DR menus on hand. Stop there on day one look at them, then decide what night you want.

Have fun planning [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;26;17;1;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Navigator of the Seas 6/26/04

<center>
<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]</center>

What is the Murder Mystery Dinner? Is it on every ship? When is it, and how soon can you make reservations? (We're cruising on Mariner on 7/4) Sounds like something I'd really enjoy! Thanks

Like nyrfan, I can get my husband into his tux only once a cruise, so second formal night we do Portofino. Always one of the best evenings of each cruise for us. I have to say, I've never heard of the Murder Mystery dinner and I'm really intrigued! We're sailing on the Serenade 11/6 so looking forward to any info.

Sha

Navigator of the Seas 5/2004
Oosterdam, 11/2003
Coral Princess,10/2003
Explorer of the Seas, 5/2003
Voyager of the Seas, 11/2002
Explorer of the Seas, 5/2001
Legend of the Seas, 5/1999
Carnival Fantasy, 1997

Archived