Beaches in Zhiuantenejo

Sunnymom02

I have been looking at the beaches in Z/Ixtapa. Just wondering between Las Gatos and La Ropa, which is better. We do not want to do snorkeling or anything like that. We just want to sit on the beach and relax and maybe get a bite to eat and some drinks. (relaxing beach day). Which do you recommend? Also, how would one get to one of these beaches? Is it easy to do? Trying to avoid having to take a ship tour. Thanks in advance.

I have been looking at the beaches in Z/Ixtapa. Just wondering between Las Gatos and La Ropa, which is better. We do not want to do snorkeling or anything like that. We just want to sit on the beach and relax and maybe get a bite to eat and some drinks. (relaxing beach day). Which do you recommend? Also, how would one get to one of these beaches? Is it easy to do? Trying to avoid having to take a ship tour. Thanks in advance.

If you do a search for Las Gatos and La Ropa you will get a lot of answers. We will be going to La Ropa because it sounds like a great beach, has activities and plenty of beachside places to eat. Take a taxi to La Ropa. To Las Gatos, you can take a water taxi. Sounds to me like you want what we want.

My dos pesos worth...spend your day on La Ropa, get to the end of the beach for 35 pesos or in the middle for 30 pesos. for 30 pesos have the taxi driver take you to Paty's Mar-y-mar. It's about a 10 minute trip. She has very good food, clean baños, free lounges (get there early, in season, they go sorta fast), and everybody speaks enough English so you won't have a problem with language if your Spanish is limited...I spend 5 days a week there when we are in town for our 6 week "vacation"...

Questions?

\

I have found this site very useful..........http://www.zihuatanejo-ixtapa.com/beaches/gatas.html

My dos pesos worth...spend your day on La Ropa, get to the end of the beach for 35 pesos or in the middle for 30 pesos. for 30 pesos have the taxi driver take you to Paty's Mar-y-mar. It's about a 10 minute trip. She has very good food, clean baños, free lounges (get there early, in season, they go sorta fast), and everybody speaks enough English so you won't have a problem with language if your Spanish is limited...I spend 5 days a week there when we are in town for our 6 week "vacation"...

Questions?

Question.....we will be there end of November, is that in season? If so, how early must we be there at Patys to get loungers? Any tips regarding the waverunners, parasailing etc? If my kids wanted to go snorkeling, and we are at La Ropa, would you let your 19 yr old boys take a cab to Las Gatos? Or does the other end of La Ropa have any place to snorkel? Wish I could be there for 6 weeks! Thanks

We enjoyed a day at La Ropa on our Spirit cruise. Took a $5 taxi ride from the dock to La Perla at Playa La Ropa. The beach at La Ropa is long with lots of restaurants along the beach. Very nice, not rocky at all. Walk all the way near the far end left facing water and you can see a couple of cute aligators. ;) We had a drink or two, some chips and salsa and it was $14. Umbrellas and loungers were very inexpensive.

On the way back, our taxi dropped us off at Tamales Atole Y Any. We had some great tamales before walking back to the tender dock. Very nice day in Zihua. :)

My photos are here:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562576906urGkgk?start=72

Question.....we will be there end of November, is that in season? If so, how early must we be there at Patys to get loungers? Any tips regarding the waverunners, parasailing etc? If my kids wanted to go snorkeling, and we are at La Ropa, would you let your 19 yr old boys take a cab to Las Gatos? Or does the other end of La Ropa have any place to snorkel? Wish I could be there for 6 weeks! Thanks

End of November should not be a problem getting a lounger, December, January and February is the peak season. I'm assuming you'll get there around 10 or so anyway...You don't take a cab to Las Gatos, it's a water taxi from the pier that your tender drops you off at...In the morning, looking to your right to the end of the beach, if it's not wavy, you can do a little snorkeling. There will be wave runners and para sailing either in front of Paty's or 100 yards or so to your left.....Your call on how much your 19 year old can do on his own, if he has a brain, doesn't drink or smoke funny cigarettes, he should be OK...

Are there loungers and shade on Las Gatas? We like to snorkel, so we may try that one. Also, what about good, clean restaurants there?

Yes, lots of loungers and shade and restaurants....

Keep in mind that there is no electricity or running water on the beach, but everyone tries their best to keep the place clean......

(try OTILLAS restaurant, the next to last one on the beach)

(somebody please correct me if I'm wrong :D )

I believe I read that Los Gatos is a rocky beach and better for snorkeling. La Ropa is larger and much better for just general swimming.

They both look great! If the above is true, we'll be going to La Ropa.

True......

Thanks everyone for the responses. I have two more questions.

Are the taxi's safe?

Also, should you convert your american money into pesos? or do the taxi's and Paty's take american money?

Again, thanks in advance. Sounds like La Ropa would be a great choice. Is this beach anywhere near the lighthouse that people are talking about?

Thanks again :)

Thanks everyone for the responses. I have two more questions.

Are the taxi's safe?

Also, should you convert your american money into pesos? or do the taxi's and Paty's take american money?

Again, thanks in advance. Sounds like La Ropa would be a great choice. Is this beach anywhere near the lighthouse that people are talking about?

Thanks again :)

Yes, the taxis are safe.......

Both the taxis and Paty will take US dollars but you probably will get 10 to 1 exchange...You'll get around 13 to 1 from an ATM machine...

The lighthouse is reached from Las Gatos, the beach on La Ropa is a little less than a mile...which is a nice walk...

End of November should not be a problem getting a lounger, December, January and February is the peak season. I'm assuming you'll get there around 10 or so anyway...You don't take a cab to Las Gatos, it's a water taxi from the pier that your tender drops you off at...In the morning, looking to your right to the end of the beach, if it's not wavy, you can do a little snorkeling. There will be wave runners and para sailing either in front of Paty's or 100 yards or so to your left.....Your call on how much your 19 year old can do on his own, if he has a brain, doesn't drink or smoke funny cigarettes, he should be OK...

Thanks Lardor for the info. Well, I know he has a brain.......

Yes!! Me too!!

Alpha, or anyone else, I assume the cab drivers will know this place if we ask for it?

Yes, he knew and I flubbed the name....but he knew where we wanted to go. It's a popular spot with tourists and locals alike. :)

http://www.world66.com/northamerica/mexico/ixtapazihuatanejo/eating_out/tamales_y_atoles_a

Yes, the taxis are safe.......

Both the taxis and Paty will take US dollars but you probably will get 10 to 1 exchange...You'll get around 13 to 1 from an ATM machine...

The lighthouse is reached from Las Gatos, the beach on La Ropa is a little less than a mile...which is a nice walk...

La Ropa is only a mile from the tender pier? Is ther a good way to walk there, or maybe a bike rental? We would like exercise over a taxi ride. Thanks

La Ropa is only a mile from the tender pier? Is ther a good way to walk there, or maybe a bike rental? We would like exercise over a taxi ride. Thanks

I guess I was not clear....the beach itself is about a mile long, the walk from town is around 2 miles... if you want to walk from town, I would guess 30/40 minutes with a killer hill up and an almost killer hill down, let me know if you want directions. I walk it everyday from the next beach over, Playa Madera, and it takes me 20/30 minutes....and that way I can eat all the hand made tortillas I want....and I usually do want a lot.

I guess I was not clear....the beach itself is about a mile long, the walk from town is around 2 miles... if you want to walk from town, I would guess 30/40 minutes with a killer hill up and an almost killer hill down, let me know if you want directions. I walk it everyday from the next beach over, Playa Madera, and it takes me 20/30 minutes....and that way I can eat all the hand made tortillas I want....and I usually do want a lot.

Thanks,

A 2 mile walk is no problem for us and we are used to hills, so yes drirections would be great. We like to walk off some of that food we over eat on the ship. From pictures I have seen, it looks like you can see the ship from the beach.

Thanks,

A 2 mile walk is no problem for us and we are used to hills, so yes directions would be great. We like to walk off some of that food we over eat on the ship. From pictures I have seen, it looks like you can see the ship from the beach.

When you get off the pier turn to your right and walk along the waterfront on a sidewalk. If you get off the boat early (8AM) you'll notice on your right, under the palm trees that the fishermen are selling their catch from last night, laying the fish out on the sand..they are usually finished by 8:30 or so. At the end of this sidewalk you will come to a walking bridge that goes over a small canal..cross the bridge and turn right for 20 feet and you'll see that there is a path that is built along the rocks that line the beach area. As you walk on this path, you'll notice that it stops in a few areas and you have to walk on the beach itself. After the 2nd small beach, you'll notice up ahead that the path is bending to the right and if you look at the "street" lights, you'll see that the path ends. At this bend you'll see a street on your left that ends up at the beach. Walk up this street and turn right at the corner and you will see the "Irma Hotel hill that you get to walk up....follow the street (on the sidewalk) keeping the water to your right as it wanders along. You will pass an Italian restaurant overlooking the water that will have a good spot for a photo of your ship. Continue for about another 7/8 minutes and you will come to a street on your right that goes straight down to the beach. This is the Casa Que Canta (hotel) hill. On the beach walk to your left (can't walk right,) and the 2nd restaurant you come to is Paty's, the first one is Elvira's and it's more money and not as nice .....OR if you want to walk a little farther on the sidewalk 10/12 minutes, slightly downhill you will come to a non-working water fountain called the Dolphins. Turn right and after about 2 short blocks you'll come to the beach, Paty's is on your left, tell her that Larry and Doris say hello.

Archived