Beaches in Zhiuantenejo

Sunnymom02

Just back from the Spirit. Went snorkeling at Las Gatas. MY Recommendation is leave your fins behind and bring watershoes. It is shallow water and coral bottom. Snorkeling was better in Cabo at Chileno Bay, but Las Gatas was better than Acapulco. It was very busy at the beach when we were there because of a Mexican holiday. All sorts of water sports were available at Las Gatas, banana, jet ski, but not parasail, we could see them available over at La Ropa. Cost for water taxi was $5 per person to Las Gatas round trip. Be prepared for the locals to want a tip for helping you out of your boat and everything else.

Anybody know how Los Gatos and Isla Ixtapa compare as far as snorkeling? We're trying to decide which place to go to snorkeling on our trip on the Spirit 3-3-10. (I posted some snorkeling questions about Zihua./Ixtapa and Manzanillo on the snorkel/scuba board, but didn't get very much info. We're looking at snorkeling from a beach if it's any good, or would be willing to take some kind of boat trip if that's a lot better.)

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.

Thank you all for all the great info!!!! :)

Z/Ixtapa is our beach day, so this info was fantastic and I really appreciate the insight!

I guess it's gonna be La Ropa and Paty's, we like sandy beaches, good food and drink and we are in Heaven.

Less than a week!!! Whooo-hoooo!!!

Anybody know how Los Gatos and Isla Ixtapa compare as far as snorkeling? We're trying to decide which place to go to snorkeling on our trip on the Spirit 3-3-10. (I posted some snorkeling questions about Zihua./Ixtapa and Manzanillo on the snorkel/scuba board, but didn't get very much info. We're looking at snorkeling from a beach if it's any good, or would be willing to take some kind of boat trip if that's a lot better.)

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.

Unfortunately, the www juliostour site is corrupted, but he does do tours to the manzanillo beach..(which is the best for snorkeling...)...When you get off the ship ask around if julio is in the neighborhood, because he probably knows that his site is no good, he may be somewhere on the pier...or I would pick Las Gotas, it's easier to get to...

Hi konatyme, I was considering snorkeling in Zihuatanejo too. I wonder if you are familiar with the Trip Advisor web site(sister site to cruise critic)?

They have a forum where you can ask folks there about how to get to Manzanillo Beach or about snorkeling etc.

Here is a link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150795-i473-Zihuatanejo_Ixtapa_Zihuatanejo_Pacific_Coast.html

They may have additional info.:p

We were in Zihuatanejo a little over a week ago and enjoyed the snorkeling at Playa Las Gatas. Since we are somewhat sun averse, we never actually got to the beach, just stayed in the covered area where the boats dock and swam out from there. So, I can't comment on vendors or beach chairs or food. We saw lots of fish and a couple of eels. The water was incredible--as warm as bath water. Normally I get cold but was still fine after 2 hours or so in the water.

mcmarya,

Did you bring you own snorkel gear?

How deep is it?

Was the water very clear?

Can you see the bottom in deep water?

Is the boat dock for the water taxi's from the place where the ship tenders dock and let you off?

How much was the water taxi?

• 1 month later...
When you get off the pier turn to your right and walk along the waterfront on a sidewalk. If you get off the boat early (8AM) you'll notice on your right, under the palm trees that the fishermen are selling their catch from last night, laying the fish out on the sand..they are usually finished by 8:30 or so. At the end of this sidewalk you will come to a walking bridge that goes over a small canal..cross the bridge and turn right for 20 feet and you'll see that there is a path that is built along the rocks that line the beach area. As you walk on this path, you'll notice that it stops in a few areas and you have to walk on the beach itself. After the 2nd small beach, you'll notice up ahead that the path is bending to the right and if you look at the "street" lights, you'll see that the path ends. At this bend you'll see a street on your left that ends up at the beach. Walk up this street and turn right at the corner and you will see the "Irma Hotel hill that you get to walk up....follow the street (on the sidewalk) keeping the water to your right as it wanders along. You will pass an Italian restaurant overlooking the water that will have a good spot for a photo of your ship. Continue for about another 7/8 minutes and you will come to a street on your right that goes straight down to the beach. This is the Casa Que Canta (hotel) hill. On the beach walk to your left (can't walk right,) and the 2nd restaurant you come to is Paty's, the first one is Elvira's and it's more money and not as nice .....OR if you want to walk a little farther on the sidewalk 10/12 minutes, slightly downhill you will come to a non-working water fountain called the Dolphins. Turn right and after about 2 short blocks you'll come to the beach, Paty's is on your left, tell her that Larry and Doris say hello.

Just wanted to thank you for your excellent directions! We followed them and had a very enjoyable walk to Paty's. One small addition - after the second small beach the road off to the left is just before La Rana Rene - this was the only place we had a slight problem, which we solved by a quick break at La Rana Rene!

Just wanted to thank you for your excellent directions! We followed them and had a very enjoyable walk to Paty's. One small addition - after the second small beach the road off to the left is just before La Rana Rene - this was the only place we had a slight problem, which we solved by a quick break at La Rana Rene!

Yeah, it wasn't quite clear, glad it worked out for you, I'll be there 1/18...

Archived