Our First Transatlantic Crossing

tiller

My mom and I had booked the September 8 eastbound crossing on the Queen Mary 2 early this year and had looked forward to it for months. We combined the crossing with a Labor Day weekend wedding in upstate New York of a college friend of mine. While we were up there, we had purchased two bottles of wine, which we enjoyed during dinner on the QM2.

We had stayed overnight at a hotel near LaGuardia Airport and took a car service to the pier. It cost about $60. We had no trouble getting on the ship, were on board by 1:30. The embarkation was very smooth, and our room was fine, with plenty of storage. However, it did take several calls to get someone to replace the batteries in our room safe. King’s Court was not the madhouse we had expected, we had no trouble finding a table. For the sail away party, we doctored up the Pol Acker with OJ we got from King's Court and enjoyed the music and watching the ship pass by the Statue of Liberty and seeing it pass under the Verazanno Bridge with seemingly inches to spare.

We had late seating in Britannia, at table 29 on the lower level. Our dining companions were two very nice British couples who had started their journey on the westbound crossing and then the NY/Canada cruise. We were their third set of tablemates. We really enjoyed our dinners and appreciated the variety of choices throughout the week. Our entrees ranged from duck to lamb to lobster to steak to Asian noodles and more. Several of the high points were all of the desserts, the filet, prime rib, lobster, sautéed chicken livers, and the soups. One oddity was the matzo ball soup my mom had, with the four tiniest matzo balls you can imagine. And dinner was of course never complete without the petit fours and crystallized ginger. On the last day, we had two cakes—one for my mom’s birthday and the other for one of the couple’s 40th anniversary. The cakes were passed around and enjoyed very much. Much thanks goes to our waitress Bernadett and sommelier Vladimir.

Unfortunately, we were disappointed by breakfast in Britannia. On our first breakfast, the fruit was very good but my French toast was tepid and my mom’s pancakes tiny and cold. The second time, we had unfortunate scrambled eggs, had to ask for potatoes with our kippers (we had assumed they automatically came with), and my mom had to ask twice for a bagel and cream cheese. We much preferred breakfast in King’s Court, where the coffee was hotter and the fried and poached eggs made just as we like them. The pastries were wonderful, especially the poppy-seed pastry and the raisin bun.

We never ate lunch in Britannia, the menu looked too heavy for our tastes. Instead, we ate at Sir Samuel’s twice, as we liked their sandwiches and the little pickles on the side. Does anyone know what that small round pepper was that comes with the sandwiches? We also had ploughman’s lunches at the Golden Lion, ate another time in King’s Court, and had a wonderful lunch at Todd English. The only bad thing about the lunch was that while we were enjoying our meals, including a more-than-ample paella, the two women behind us kept complaining, and one had to have her steak replaced twice. I felt badly for the waitress.

We only had tea in the Queen’s Room once. King’s Court was more to our liking because we could choose the tea we wanted and not have to wait around to be served. The scones were magnificent. The one time we went to QR, on the first sea day, we did not have any trouble getting a table.

We also had several cocktails, particularly enjoying the Pimm’s Cup. We were both impressed by how reasonably priced the cocktails were.

But we did more than just eat and drink, though it may not sound like it. We attended several lectures, most of which were excellent, except for the guest who talked about his TV experiences and kept interspersing some amusing stories with rants about how horrible adolescents of today are. Went to both planetarium shows as well, along with attending several trivia contests, the book club meeting (as my mom and I had both read the book in question), and did just about everything we could think of. I do confess to missing several moments of the lectures and the Kennedy Center chamber music performance as the chairs in Illuminations and Royal Court Theatre often led to us nodding off.

Despite having nearly 2,500 passengers, we never felt crowded, except during disembarkation and tea in King’s Court the final afternoon. We both agreed the ship is beautiful, though I could never quite find my way around it. My mom thankfully usually knew where to go. But all that wandering did help us burn calories. The ship truly is stable, neither of us felt the slightest twinge of seasickness. The library truly was impressive. We also liked the set up of the computer rooms and how easy it was to get online. However, there didn’t seem to be much staff on hand to help those with questions.

One thing that surprised us was that people didn’t dress up nearly as much as we had expected. There were many pairs of jeans in the day time, people dressed as they would on any ship. At dinner, people dressed very nicely but on the formal nights, most women didn’t wear what we might consider evening gowns. Admittedly, that includes us, but we never felt underdressed, despite what we had read in some CC threads. Though all the men looked sharp in their tuxes and suits. I would just say to any woman worried about the dress code, not to worry if you don’t own a ballgown—you definitely want to dress up but it’s not as intimidating as you might expect.

Overall, we had a fantastic time, and would love to one day do a westbound crossing, as we could never manage to sit through the late shows as we had to get to bed early to make up for the time change. Plus, maybe next time, I won’t get as lost and can spend more time reading all of the Maritime Quest exhibit and lingering in the library.

One other thing: does anyone know what would happen if you tried to flush a toilet without putting the lid down? I was curious but afraid to find out.

One other thing: does anyone know what would happen if you tried to flush a toilet without putting the lid down? I was curious but afraid to find out.

Nothing - as long as you are not still sitting on it as it works by suction!! I think that is why they say put the lid down - to ensure you aren't still on it!

Thanks for the great review. There is a long time until we get to do our TA Crossing, so I love reading about others' experiences.

Did the RADA put on drama workshops? I've read that this is done on many of the trips and I am so looking forward to it.

Carol

Thank you Tiller, we are going on a westbound on sat, can't wait. Your review was very interesting and has made the wait that little more exciting because we will soon be there.

We are also having 2 night in New York and then will fly back into Heathrow.

I've added a little extra to this trip because it is our silver wedding and my husbands birthday next month. So have booked as a surprise a really nice hotel and some shows in London while we are there.

Lets just say it will be an anniversary to remember for lots of reason.

Thanks again for the great review.

Catherine

Thanks Tiller for that lovely review. We were on the same crossing, having done the earlier Westbound one. I was having withdrawal symptoms reading it :D

Carol- yes RADA gave three workshops- I didn't go because I had attended a few years ago but they seemed to be well attended and enjoyed.

RADA also gave an abridged version of Romeo and Juliet on both West and East crossings (ashamed to say I didn't go) and on the Eastbound crossing there were also two poetry readings. I went to one which was delightful - a selection of holiday themed poems but couldn't attend the other due to another engagement.

There was also a presentation of Under Milk Wood which was enjoyable but the acoustics weren't that brilliant.

There are so many things to do and see - even two crossings weren't enough! Mind you, I did choose to relax a lot on the second crossing- I blamed it on the loss of the hour!

I only breakfasted once in Britannia - apart from waiter service, I don't know why people prefer it. I would much rather choose from the self service.

To all you lucky people who are awaiting their crossings- enjoy!

Tiller - lovely review - took me right back to our TA. We also really enjoyed the dinners in Britannia.

Catherine - can't believe it is less than a week to your trip! I think you were posting just before we had our honeymoon TA in April. And now its your turn. What shows have you booked in London? Have you got some nice restaurants planned?

Interesting and informative review Tiller. We're doing the Westbound in November, which I think will be more relaxed with the time changes. I must admit my major concern is the Ocean and any movement and it is always good to read how stable she is. Sue

Sue, She really is unbelievably stable, you should have no worries.

Last October Rob and I did back to back tandem crossings alongside QE2 both ways; on a couple of days the ocean was rough and we watched QE2 rising and falling - it's bow dipping under the waves.... on QM2 we didn't feel a thing!

See you aboard - not long now!

Tiller - lovely review - took me right back to our TA. We also really enjoyed the dinners in Britannia.

Catherine - can't believe it is less than a week to your trip! I think you were posting just before we had our honeymoon TA in April. And now its your turn. What shows have you booked in London? Have you got some nice restaurants planned?

Yes it is so nice to know it has finally come round. Just finished one shift at work, two more to do. i'm in holiday mode already.

I have booked to see Les Mis and Blood Brothers all as surprise for Tony. Also the hotel we are staying in has a well known thai restaurant and I have booked in there for one evening. I think it will finish the trip off so well.

Will tell you all about it when we return. Thanks for the good wishes

Just thought can you remember my 1st post, asking about wearing jeans etc and the responses I got. It seems so funny now but at the time I didn't know what to think.

Wow two of my favourites Les Mis and Blood Brothers, a great pair of musicals to watch and like chalk and cheese.

I ve come out of the Phoenix theatre a few times with red eyes, a great show. Watch Les Miserables and you cant stop singing the many great songs. A great crossover musical for lovers of Opera and classical music.

Remember all London (public) museums are free, go to the National Gallery by Trafalgar Square and see some great paintings, adjoined is the National Portrait Gallery with a lot of quirky and classic portraits.

Originally from Ryhope Fred & Sian.

Thank you for the tip about getting our dollars from Cunard at 1.88 We are sailing on the 26th SEPT on the QM2 to New York with cruise connect from WASHINGTON SERVICES to Southampton. Doddsy:) might see you on board.

Doddsy have you seen our roll call board. Some of us are meeting in the Commadore Club on Sunday at 5.30pm if you would like to join us.

Wow two of my favourites Les Mis and Blood Brothers, a great pair of musicals to watch and like chalk and cheese.

I ve come out of the Phoenix theatre a few times with red eyes, a great show. Watch Les Miserables and you cant stop singing the many great songs. A great crossover musical for lovers of Opera and classical music.

Remember all London (public) museums are free, go to the National Gallery by Trafalgar Square and see some great paintings, adjoined is the National Portrait Gallery with a lot of quirky and classic portraits.

Originally from Ryhope Fred & Sian.

Thanks Fred andSian, I do love going to the shows when we visit London, can't wait to enjoy Les Mis, I just love the music. Don't really know to much about Blood Brothers, I have been told it is very good. As you can see will soon be on board.

Last shift at work tomorrow, will be pleased when I'm walking out of the door. I do love my job, just looking forward to this trip so much I just want it to be here.

Thank you for the tip about getting our dollars from Cunard at 1.88 We are sailing on the 26th SEPT on the QM2 to New York with cruise connect from WASHINGTON SERVICES to Southampton. Doddsy:) might see you on board.

We have booked the coach connect, pick up at Scotch Corner services at 6.45. Do you think we will be on the same coach? I think they will be only one coach from the north east. If so see you on the coach.

Tiller, DH & I are also staying in a hotel near LaGuardia. Would you please post your private car service info. $60 sounds OK with us.

Were you satisfied with their service? Was he/she on time? Did he/she drive safely?

What time & on what day did you leave the hotel? Wondering if the traffic was a problem.

Thank you in advance

Unfortunately, I don't know what the name of the service was. We stayed at the Hotel LaGuardia and asked at the desk, so it's whomever they use. We made the request around 11 a.m. and the car arrived within 15 minutes. There was some traffic so it took about an hour to get to the pier. I wish I could be more helpful!

Tiller could not remember theirs. We've always used Transtar, who we have been pleased with, though the cost is more like $125 or so (for four). The driver is always pleasant tho there are rarely drinks or ice in the car. They must save that for the "night runs".

Let's see, their link is tranexec.com.

Enjoy!

Tiller, DH & I are also staying in a hotel near LaGuardia. Would you please post your private car service info. $60 sounds OK with us.

Were you satisfied with their service? Was he/she on time? Did he/she drive safely?

What time & on what day did you leave the hotel? Wondering if the traffic was a problem.

Thank you in advance

The most wonderful thing about the in-hulls are simply their location in the ship. From your in-hull you can look straight down at the water, which is wonderful. In fact, I've caught myself doing that for nearly an hour. During a storm this is especially moving. You are STILL high above the froth of the waves but you are close enough to feel the thrill of it.

Archived