2nd time to Alaska, what to do?

emste

We were in Alaska last year. We took Princess cruise and cruisetour. We are now planning on going back next year. My question: We want to do the land portion on our own. Should we stick to all land or do land and take a cruise that may go to different ports (I know there are not many on the Alaskan cruises)? Thanks for any input!

These are difficult questions to ask of strangers. It really depends on you and your interests. If you are asking what others would do, here is my answer:

I also went to Alaska last year. If it works out, I hope I can return. My first cruise went to Glacier Bay and College Fjords along with Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau. If I were to go again, I would cruise only to see Hubbard Glacier and Sitka. I would also hope to find one other port I did not go to the first time. I would never go again and repeat the same itinerary I did the first time. (Our vacation funds are too limited for that.)

Alaska was my only cruise. I discovered I am not a cruising kind of vacationer. I prefer land vacations. However, if you book cheap cabins, cruising is a relatively inexpensive way to see the beauty of southeastern Alaska. I know we could not have seen all we did from the cruise for less money on our own. It was a bargain in my mind...food, lodging and transportation all for a reasonable price. We were on a scenic routing that actually travelled the small craft route...beautiful scenery all the time..amazing journey..well worth it. For land, we would probably try to go see new things. Not sure if we would repeat things or not. We got to see Mt. McKinley in her glory, so I am not sure if we would go back to Denali or not. Although we did enjoy our trip to Denali, it was not our favorite National Park. Time and money would determine if we did it again or not.

I think you need to decide what you liked about your last vacation. What do you want to repeat, what do you want to skip, what did you miss that you want to do this time around? Only you can answer these questions.

We did the land portion on our own and it was great. We did not overschedule, did not plan long driving days, and were able to pace ourselves. Truly a great trip!!!

I've done both and clearly, both are excellent options. It may depend how much time you have?? I am one to encourage the use of the most time you can afford. :)

There are 6 Alaska ports, and 3 glacier areas, so with only one trip, you can definately add plenty of new stuff to see and do. You already have the jest of the cruise- I suggest you do your homework and find out about what the interior can offer you. What did you like with your cruisetour areas?? What did you miss, that you wish to include this time around??

Head to your library and take out Alaska travel books, find out what areas are going to offer you the most of what you wish to experience this time around. :)

I would do the land on your own if you are a good planner. I would think as long as you had a GPS and kept track as to where the next gas station is you would be ok. Guess the next motel would also be important. I would also check cell phone coverage.

I would save the cruise dollars for a return cruise and thus stay away from ports I might visit on the ship.

I would do the land on your own if you are a good planner. I would think as long as you had a GPS and kept track as to where the next gas station is you would be ok. Guess the next motel would also be important. I would also check cell phone coverage.

I would save the cruise dollars for a return cruise and thus stay away from ports I might visit on the ship.

You really don't need a GPS in Alaska. We thought about bringing ours, but the luggage was getting too packed and we left it home. Never needed it.!!! We had a street may for Anchorage and it was the only time we needed a map.

If your really need to know where gas stations are, the Milepost, will give you that information.

Even if your cruise visits the same ports you visited previously, chances are that there are things you weren't able to do the first time you visited that you might like to do on a second visit. There is so much to do and see in Alaska that it seems unlikely that a second visit will be a carbon copy of your first. Check out the various ports of call and see if there aren't things that you missed the first time that you could see this time around.:)

We have been to Alaska several times most recently this past summer. There are enough different things to do in the ports that you can visit them several times and not do everything.

You can also consider a slightly different itinerary to see a few ports that you have not seen.

Keith

Every one is different. This summer we did a cruise then a 10 day land tour renting a motor home. We loved every minute of it. Using the Toursaver book we saved a ton on the motor home. We ate breakfast and lunch in the motor home and campgrounds are cheap. Actually you don't even have to stay in a campground. We planned it all on our own. We will be back, as soon as the kids are out of college. We certainly will rent a motor home again but this time it will be for at least 3 weeks. We will skip the cruise part. So I guess you can say you have to think about what you would like the best.

Archived