Question for experienced HAL cruiser

Highbypass Turbofan

We are taking our 1st HAL cruise next Tuesday 29Sep. I just got off the phone with a HAL agent who advise me of the following 2 items:

1. If we purchase a wine card(s), it is only good for the dining room and Pinnacle resturaunt only due to the fact that only a limited selection of crew have access to the wine cellar. If we were to try to use the wine card(s) at an onboard bar other than the main dining room and the Pinnacle, they would not be allowed to accept it, even for a house wine.

2. If we purchased a Signature Cocktail card, it would only be valid for the "Drink of the Day" and nothing else. In other words, the Cocktail card would not be valid for a rum and coke, ect.

She suggested purchasing a Shipboard Credit. That way we could use if for anything we purchase during our voyage.

This Gal was very good at explaining these facts to me and appeared to have nothing to gain by trying to sell me some unnecessary gifts, so I am inclined to trust her, but wanted someone elses opinion.

We are trying to prepay some of our trip expenses because I don't want a shock at the end of the cruise, you know, the one where the bar tab is more that what you pay for the cruise itself kind of thing.

I have also heard to check the bible in your staterooms as some previous CC members leave their unpunched wine cards there for other CC members to finish using. Its worth a look! Worth reading too!

Any suggestions or comments?

That "gal" has her head in the clouds!! She was totally incorrect. I have purchased many wine cards and enjoyed their use in all the bars onboard the ship. Even in the show lounge.

The cocktail card would be useless if it was only for the DOD. I have had cocktail cards and they are good for any of HALs signature cocktails. If there is a good DOD I do NOT use the card as it lowers its worth.

I don't know to whom you spoke but obviously she does not know about the drink cards. Order away and enjoy them in all the bars.

The wine card is good in the dining room, Pinnacle and every bar on the ship -- now if you go to Happy Hour -- it is not good for the house wine during that time. All the bars and lounges have bottles and bottles of the house wines. Thus all the bar staff have access to them.

Cocktail card -- you should really waut and buy this on board -- ask a waiter what your rum and coke will cost and if the card is worth it on them. Also depends on if you order a specific rum. May only cover the house rum. This card isn't good for us as we like Grey Goose which is $6.50 -- a dollar over the suggested maximum of $5.50 per drink on the card.

We are fortunate that we do not have to worry about buying shipboard credits so as to not to have to worry about a huge bill at the end of the cruise.

But if you are worried -- then by all means -- buy some.

That "gal" has her head in the clouds!! She was totally incorrect. I have purchased many wine cards and enjoyed their use in all the bars onboard the ship. Even in the show lounge.

The cocktail card would be useless if it was only for the DOD. I have had cocktail cards and they are good for any of HALs signature cocktails. If there is a good DOD I do NOT use the card as it lowers its worth.

I don't know to whom you spoke but obviously she does not know about the drink cards. Order away and enjoy them in all the bars.

Exactly our experience and my thoughts. We bought and used the cocktail cards a few....OK...several...times on our last cruise. In fact, the Crow's Nest crew always made sure we took advantage of the best way to use the card. For instance, if our standard cocktail was on the DOD list then it was better to charge it to our account than use the card. We've never gotten the wine card but have purchased wine packages (full bottle purchases) for the dining room/Pinnacle Grill and as far as I know that's the only place they can be used.

We are taking our 1st HAL cruise next Tuesday 29Sep. I just got off the phone with a HAL agent who advise me of the following 2 items:

Wow, what a bunch of bad information! The only place we have had a wine card refused was during the 2-for-1 Happy Hour. :)

The problem with buying shipboard credits to cover your wine purchases is that you don't get the discount price.

Exactly our experience and my thoughts. We bought and used the cocktail cards a few....OK...several...times on our last cruise. In fact, the Crow's Nest crew always made sure we took advantage of the best way to use the card. For instance, if our standard cocktail was on the DOD list then it was better to charge it to our account than use the card. We've never gotten the wine card but have purchased wine packages (full bottle purchases) for the dining room/Pinnacle Grill and as far as I know that's the only place they can be used.

It IS the wine package that is only for the dining rooms. Wine card is good in whatever bar you want to use.

I use the cocktail card because I love the Tanqueray 10 martini -- definitely not a DOD.

You are spot on correct. I have a hole punched in the small end of my wine card and have in on the lanyard with my room key. I don't know which I use the most. I use it everywhere drinks are served..

I use the cocktail card because I love the Tanqueray 10 martini -- definitely not a DOD.

Ah a person with great taste! :) My drink of choice! Crow's Nest crew usually takes a day or so but after that they just set me up when we walk in. :D I think they "cheated" a couple of times and gave me my martini for the DOD price when martinis were featured but that was a 14-day cruise and we were up there a lot.

It IS the wine package that is only for the dining rooms. Wine card is good in whatever bar you want to use.

Thats what I was thinking too. It appeared that the wine and champagne packages are a more upscale choice of vino, which I could see the wine cellar having limited accessibility.

She probably thought I was refering to the wine and champagne package, not the house pouring wine card.

Ah a person with great taste! :) My drink of choice! Crow's Nest crew usually takes a day or so but after that they just set me up when we walk in. :D I think they "cheated" a couple of times and gave me my martini for the DOD price when martinis were featured but that was a 14-day cruise and we were up there a lot.

Sound like we had the same drink server in the Crow's Nest!! I would head to the Crow's Nest every evening around 7 p.m. After the second night, my server greeted me with a warm smile and had my fave drink heading to the table within minutes of me sitting down. It was my fave pre-dinner spot!! I only arrived early enough for the 2 for 1 maybe four times on my 14 day cruise. On these nights, I didn't use my card.

I had a wine card on my 2007 sailing and used it all over the ship including the dining room. Not a single server told me no or that I couldn't use it. If you head to the same bar the second night, the servers would normally bring you one right away unless you told them otherwise.

The person that you talk to must be a new person that didn't know or never sailed on any of the HAL ships.

----------------

Now playing: Dave Koz - Cuban Hideaway

via FoxyTunes

1. If we purchase a wine card(s), it is only good for the dining room and Pinnacle resturaunt only due to the fact that only a limited selection of crew have access to the wine cellar. If we were to try to use the wine card(s) at an onboard bar other than the main dining room and the Pinnacle, they would not be allowed to accept it, even for a house wine.

2. If we purchased a Signature Cocktail card, it would only be valid for the "Drink of the Day" and nothing else. In other words, the Cocktail card would not be valid for a rum and coke, ect.

She suggested purchasing a Shipboard Credit. That way we could use if for anything we purchase during our voyage.

This Gal was very good at explaining these facts to me and appeared to have nothing to gain by trying to sell me some unnecessary gifts, so I am inclined to trust her, but wanted someone elses opinion.

We are trying to prepay some of our trip expenses because I don't want a shock at the end of the cruise, you know, the one where the bar tab is more that what you pay for the cruise itself kind of thing.

I have also heard to check the bible in your staterooms as some previous CC members leave their unpunched wine cards there for other CC members to finish using. Its worth a look! Worth reading too!

Any suggestions or comments?

If you recall the name of who you spoke with, I would hope you can email me and let me know (see my signature) as it sounds like there might be a "coaching opportunity"

It's true not every bar will necessarily have EVERY wine that works with the wine card, but most bars will have a few basics and if one of those is your vintage of choice, they can assist you.

Cocktail cards will work for just about anything. If it's a "higher/top shelf" item, it may require 2 punches, or in some cases I have seen bar staff do 1 punch, plus $x extra which would be the difference... usually under $2.00

Sorry to see you got some inaccurate information. If you recall the name, I'd be happy to pass the info to their supervisor who can make sure correct information is being given.

Archived