NYC-Copenhagen: Advice on R/T Air Planning

TudorSue

For a Summer 2010 HAL Eurodam cruise r/t Copenhagen I'd welcome advice about the following two issues:

1. Only non-stop flights from New York metro area leave from Newark (EWR). All flights from JFK require a transfer. From JFK, the transfer times for FinnAir (via Helsinki) and American (via Brussels) all are listed as 45-90 minutes. (I'd prefer not to consider LHR transfer b/c the terminal change is a nightmare.)

Question: Am I to believe the airlines here since luggage transfer and going through customs have to be factored in? The last thing I'd want is for luggage to go AWOL on the outbound leg, or be stranded for a day in transit due to missed connection.

2. Return flight to USA after disembarkation. HAL lists Eurodam port arrival time as 7 AM.

Question: Should I even consider a flight departure from CPH prior to 12 noon?

I am considering adding an extra day on in Copenhagen before/after cruise, but this still doesn't address the flight connection/transfer time issue. Since I live on Long Island, JFK is much closer than Newark.

Thanks for all suggestions and advice.

For a Summer 2010 HAL Eurodam cruise r/t Copenhagen I'd welcome advice about the following two issues:

1. Only non-stop flights from New York metro area leave from Newark (EWR). All flights from JFK require a transfer. From JFK, the transfer times for FinnAir (via Helsinki) and American (via Brussels) all are listed as 45-90 minutes. (I'd prefer not to consider LHR transfer b/c the terminal change is a nightmare.)

Question: Am I to believe the airlines here since luggage transfer and going through customs have to be factored in? The last thing I'd want is for luggage to go AWOL on the outbound leg, or be stranded for a day in transit due to missed connection.

2. Return flight to USA after disembarkation. HAL lists Eurodam port arrival time as 7 AM.

I am considering adding an extra day on in Copenhagen before/after cruise, but this still doesn't address the flight connection/transfer time issue. Since I live on Long Island, JFK is much closer than Newark.

Last month I took a two part cruise on the Eurodam which involved a turnaround day in Copenhagen part way through our cruise. Only about 300 people were remaining on board. The congestion in the port area was a sight to behold. Our tour bus was delayed in reaching us and even further delayed (by about twenty minutes) in getting out of the port. Taxis were making traffic lanes where none existed and then squeezing in everywhere they could. Busses were not even moving. It was chaos. So the answer to your question is ----book in the afternoon.

Me - I'd take a nonstop if that was remotely possible. IF I were to connect, I'd do so on this side of the pond - neither of your proposed connections fit that category. The reason for that stipulation is that I'd rather connect when I'm more awake rather than in the wee hours (body time) of the morning.

We overnighted in Copenhagen last summer rather than worry about catching a flight after disembarking.

I think most flights from Europe to the US leave before noon. If that is the case for you I would opt for an extra day in this WONDERFUL city. I think USAirways has a Non Stop to Philadelphia with an early afternoon arrival. It might be a longer drive to Long Island for you, but maybe less stressful to spend the drive back home WITH YOUR BAGS.

Have a wonderful trip. I envy you. :)

Piedmont (Rosemary), I forgot to sign in to CC and my husbands sig. in here

We did Newark to Copenhagen. It was painless. Stayed two nights at The Square hotel in Copenhagen. We were very happy with it. Excellent location. New modern hotel with nice breakfast. Some here didn't like it. Air conditioning isn't like it is in US. Closed curtains in AM and turned the air on and it was find for us. Copenhagen is wonderful. So much to see. Got cabs from airport to hotel and hotel to port. Very easy. Used hop on hop off bus to see everything in Copenhagen. Have a nice trip.

We did Newark to Copenhagen. It was painless. Stayed two nights at The Square hotel in Copenhagen. We were very happy with it. Excellent location. New modern hotel with nice breakfast. Some here didn't like it. Air conditioning isn't like it is in US. Closed curtains in AM and turned the air on and it was find for us. Copenhagen is wonderful. So much to see. Got cabs from airport to hotel and hotel to port. Very easy. Used hop on hop off bus to see everything in Copenhagen. Have a nice trip.

I agree, The Square is a good hotel with fantastic location, we walked everywhere from there. Be sure to arrive at least 2+ hours at the airport on your departure. Unless they have improved quite a bit since we were there last, the airport will be a nightmare.

We did non-stop roundtrip from Newark to Copenhagen on SAS this past summer. You should be able to get to Newark from Long Island without much trouble and then you have no further worries about connections, lost luggage, etc. I would strongly advise flying in to Copenhagen a day earlier - just to be on the safe side. As for coming home, the Eurodam docked at 7 a.m., we were off the ship by 8 a.m., took the HAL transfer to the airport (recommended in this case because the ship is at least a 1/2 hour drive to the airport during rush hour), and had plenty of time to spare to make our plane which was scheduled to leave at 12:30 p.m.

Have a great trip.

Me - I'd take a nonstop if that was remotely possible. IF I were to connect, I'd do so on this side of the pond - neither of your proposed connections fit that category. The reason for that stipulation is that I'd rather connect when I'm more awake rather than in the wee hours (body time) of the morning.

Agree with Mary Ellen...If at all possible take the Non-stop..Less chance of your luggage missing the connection.. Definitely a good idea to fly in a day or two before your cruise & add an extra day at the end..You do not have to go through Customs or Immigrations in either Brussels or Helsinki as they are only connecting cities...I would worry more about you & your checked luggage making the short connections..

Copenhagen Is a lovely city..:) Be sure to go to Tivoli Gardens..

We overnighted in Copenhagen last summer rather than worry about catching a flight after disembarking.

Oops....I'm sorry, I forgot I was not suppose to use the name of a company. Please feel free to delete my message.

Rosemary:o

Rosemary you can name Airlines &/or Cruise Lines..We are not permitted to name Travel Agents..

Betty

I have flown SAS and it is a very nice airline. If you can fly non-stop do it, less worries. Fly in a day early before your cruise and stay after if you can. You will enjoy Copenhagen easy walking through the city. Please have a red hot dog for me from one of the stands you will find selling them. Don't be afraid to let them give you the works on it. The chopped egg is delicious. My daughter lives there, so of course I am going to promote Copenhagen. Very nice people and almost everyone speaks English, one of the languages they must learn in school.

Another voice in support of the non-stop from Newark. Also, for going at least one day early, and to say that SAS is great.

I flew non-stop on SAS to/from Copenhagen for the E-dam inaugural voyages, and couldn't have been more pleased with my flights.

The Copenhagen airport was a zoo coming back. There's no other way to describe it. Do not take a flight too early in the day.

And, as one who always takes the HAL transfer, I recommend that you not do that.

Luggage had been sent ahead, and set up on a traffic island in front of a terminal. All the busses arrived more or less at the same time, and it was a mess! You left the bus where it let you off. You then had to find a wagon, then go up and down the line retrieving luggage, then head to your terminal. Once inside, the lines went on forever.

Take a cab and at least you'll be let off outside your terminal.

Thanks everyone, for the helpful tips. We're intending to arrive in Copenhagen a day or two before embarkation. All the recommendations to fly SAS n/s from Newark make sense. Well, there goes my hope to use my American Air frequent flyer miles for a JFK departure!

Hotel recommendations also appreciated. Actually we will be three ladies onboard, two sharing a verandah stateroom and one in an inside staeroom on the same deck.

We disembarked pulling our own bags at 7:30, easily found a taxi and were at the airport by 8:oo. We had to sit in the cafe until the lines opened for Delta at 9:30. We had no problem getting on an 11:30 am flight. Pre cruise, we stayed at the Hilton right at the airport. After early check in, we walked back into the airport and caught the train to downtown Copenhagen. Next day, we shared a taxi to the port with another cruise passenger.

We have stayed at the Copenhagen Hilton, too, and found it wonderful ... especially when you have an early morning flight out.) I understand your wanting to use your AA miles, but just be ready to endure the transfers. If your miles arent' going to expire soon, I would suggest holding onto them and getting a non-stop from Newark.

also, sas is very good--the only airline we have been on in the last decade where the captain came out early on and greeted passengers-even those of us in steerage! Copenhagen is very expensive-we found the marriott on priceline and it is a convenient location and very similar to the american properties with large room, large bath, concierge, water taxi-sightseeing boat at dock. Problem with restaurants is price is high whether food is good or not--lots of places looked vacant and that was a year ago. We tried to go where local crowds were. You can eat at tivoli restaurants without paying admission by entering thru street side entrance--that works for the asian restaurant (name escapes me.) We also ate at department store (ilums?), lower level and top floor, and carryout bakery, not too much, just tided us over for a few days till boarding ship! Lots of walking! Best attraction was rosenberg slot. Post cruise airport lines were long everywhere, but "expediters" were sending passengers into lines--first time i have ever heard an airport employee speak casually with the "f" word punctuating every phrase.Boarding was very haphazard and we stood for a very long time since there were few or no seats in the gate area-be prepared. And if you are smokers, you will be put into "telephone booth" like cages to smoke in the terminal!

Archived