Back from Saga Ruby Baltic

thames_side

I have had two cruises on Saga Ruby and agree with what you have written. We are booked for the Baltic Cruise next June.

Am I right in thinking you had to share transport home with passengers from another cruise line, or did I missread what you wrote?

Thanks for the post. Saw the ship docking beside us in NY last week and was curious as to it's history and the sailing experience. Was a little concerned with the condition of the vessel as it appears to be some rust at the water line or perhaps just needs a paint job. Don't see too many ships being pushed around by tugs these days which was neat to see. Sounds like Saga gives you the real sailing feeling of yester-year which I miss.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the interesting review. We got on when you got off in Southampton! We had just finished cruising around Ireland on the Saga Rose, had one night in Southampton & then boarded the Ruby for the crossing to New York. I fulfilled my dream of sailing on both of those ships. I now classify myself as an experienced 'Saganaut', as Captain Rentell would say!

I bought a signed copy of Captain Rentell's book on board & am now reading it. It is interesting & entertaining. He has had a varied career, including several years as an officer on QE2. He was the navigator on her South Atlantic trip during the Falkland campaign. He also holds the dubious distinction of being the only captain to invite us to dine at his table!

I will not get the chance to sail on Saga Rose again, but would love to sail on the Ruby again; a real classic.

Graham.

Is that what happened? I have seen the pictures & it is a nasty dent on the bow. I have heard that she is going into Bayonne for repairs but I could not find out what had happened.I wonder how it will impact (excuse the pun) the crossing back to Southampton. There will be lots of people who have flown out to meet the ship.

Thanks,

Graham.

Archived