Elation to Mobile?

blwms

Have I missed something? Saw where the Fantasy was moving to Mobile in November .Now it appears that the Elation will quickly replace the Fantasy sometimes in 2010. The Carnival web site is announcing cruises in 2010 on the Fantasy out of Charleston. Anyone know if this is a new thing or Carnival's plan all along. A friend in Mobile was surprised that the Fantasy's stay there was only temporary. Anybody know what gives?

No spur-of-the-moment change...Suspected something when they wouldn't post a schedule for Elation after April 2010. Speculation is that she bumped Fantasy to Charleston instead of going there herself because she (and Paradise) has the azipods which make turning in the basin easier in Mobile. EM

No spur-of-the-moment change...Suspected something when they wouldn't post a schedule for Elation after April 2010. Speculation is that she bumped Fantasy to Charleston instead of going there herself because she (and Paradise) has the azipods which make turning in the basin easier in Mobile. EM

Also the Fantasy has the evolutions of fun so that is a good marketing tool for a new home port.

I have read speculation that the maneuverability issue was a reason to replace the Fantasy in Mobile with the Elation. On the other hand, since the new 1500 foot turning basin is scheduled to be completed in March (2 months prior to Elation's arrival), it seems that there must be other reasons for making the decision. Might be a good question for John Heald.

Also the Fantasy has the evolutions of fun so that is a good marketing tool for a new home port.

We were considering the Fantasy out of Mobile (within easy driving range for us), because of the Evolutions of Fun. Has Elation gone through the renovation, or will it, before it shows up in Mobile? This is really, really important to our decision making.

Thanks!

We were considering the Fantasy out of Mobile (within easy driving range for us), because of the Evolutions of Fun. Has Elation gone through the renovation, or will it, before it shows up in Mobile? This is really, really important to our decision making.

Thanks!

It only went through a partial and received the Serenity area, Circle C, ship wide WiFi, and the wok and rotisserre. It still lacks Waterworks, resort style pool, inter-connecting cabins, cabin refurbs, and the new balconies.

Next drydock on the schedule is 2012. I have posted a question to John Heald asking when can we expect the upgrades to be finished. So hopefully in the next couple of days he will be able to answer. He has taken two days off on his blog to spend time with his family before leaving to go to the Legend.

Dave

I have read speculation that the maneuverability issue was a reason to replace the Fantasy in Mobile with the Elation. On the other hand, since the new 1500 foot turning basin is scheduled to be completed in March (2 months prior to Elation's arrival), it seems that there must be other reasons for making the decision. Might be a good question for John Heald.

Isn't the new turning basin down river from the terminal? If so, it really won't benefit the cruise ships, as they will have to back up or down the river from the terminal to get into the basin.

Maintenance Schedule

1999 – dry dock: 4/11/99-4/25/99

2000 – dry dock: 10/29/00-11/11/00

2001 - no dates scheduled

2002 - no dates scheduled

2003 – dry dock: 3/02/03-3/15/03

2004 - no dates scheduled

2005 - no dates scheduled

2006 – dry dock: 4/08/06-4/22/06

2007 – no dates scheduled

2008 – no dates scheduled

2009 - dry dock: 2/26/09-3/11/09

2010 - no dates scheduled

Renovations

Renovations planned for 2009 Drydock: 2/26/09-3/11/09:

"Circle C" Young Teens club will be added to Atlantic Deck 8 (previously, the card room), featuring a high-tech sound and lighting system, plasma-screen TVs displaying movies and music videos, a touch-screen jukebox, and gaming pods with the latest video games and consoles.

Serenity Adults-Only Retreat Area

Children's wading pool will be moved to Verandah Deck 11 aft section, replacing one of the whirlpools.

A variety of cosmetic enhancements such as new carpeting, wall coverings and tile work throughout the ship.

Internet WIFI access will be bow-to-stern

A Mongolian Wok station and Rotisserie will be added to the Lido Restaurant

Renovations completed by 4/22/06:

New art gallery on Empress Deck.

New photo gallery on the Promenade Deck.

The 12,000 square foot Spa Carnival facility was renovated with new private treatment rooms, updated exercise equipment and a host of cosmetic enhancements.

Variety of cosmetic upgrades that include carpeting and upholstery in various public lounges.

Carpeting replaced in staterooms, where needed.

Thanks!

Although it doesn't look like the Elation will have the Evolutions of Fun refurb completed (at least until 2011), keep in mind that it is a newer ship than the Fantasy (Fantasy was built about 8 years before the Elation).

I had a chance to tour the Elation when it was ported in San Diego last year and it's a VERY nice ship. Taking the Waterworks area out, I would pick the Elation over the Fantasy hands down...!

It only went through a partial and received the Serenity area, Circle C, ship wide WiFi, and the wok and rotisserre. It still lacks Waterworks, resort style pool, inter-connecting cabins, cabin refurbs, and the new balconies.

Next drydock on the schedule is 2012. I have posted a question to John Heald asking when can we expect the upgrades to be finished. So hopefully in the next couple of days he will be able to answer. He has taken two days off on his blog to spend time with his family before leaving to go to the Legend.

Dave

John is so far behind answering his blog questions that it might take a couple of weeks to get an answer, so don't expect it anytime soon.

Also keep in mind if you have smaller children, the height limit on the Elation is 48" in order to use the water slide. So not all the children will be able to use the waterslide.

With the Waterworks this restriction was lowered to 42" because the slide does not end in the pool.

Dave

Isn't the new turning basin down river from the terminal? If so, it really won't benefit the cruise ships, as they will have to back up or down the river from the terminal to get into the basin.

Yes, about 1 1/2 miles down river. Backing a large ship that distance is done routinely! I have had the experience on several cruises on which I have sailed.

Just got back from the Fantasy and have to say that the renovations were $$ well spent. Wow. But a big part was the changes to the Lido deck - the rest maybe more important overall, but the new slide and waterworks made all the difference. Also, Fantasy has special place in my heart... first CC cruise w/ family, :D first cruise w/ GF... ;)

Just got back from the Fantasy and have to say that the renovations were $$ well spent. Wow. But a big part was the changes to the Lido deck - the rest maybe more important overall, but the new slide and waterworks made all the difference. Also, Fantasy has special place in my heart... first CC cruise w/ family, :D first cruise w/ GF... ;)

Now you see why some of us are heart broken to see her leave. The new additions makes her a totally different ship.

Dave

Dave

Well, Dave, as usual, you are a wealth of information. Unfortunately, your reply isn't what I wanted to hear. :( As a family of five, we cruise in two connecting cabins, and the children LOVED the Waterworks area on Inspiration. (We drove all the way to Tampa for that, which is twice as far from us as Mobile.)

And Fantasy was my very first cruise ship. I was looking forward to seeing her again. Sounds like it is time for us to rethink our plans; I'm glad that we haven't booked anything, yet.

Well, Dave, as usual, you are a wealth of information. Unfortunately, your reply isn't what I wanted to hear. :( As a family of five, we cruise in two connecting cabins, and the children LOVED the Waterworks area on Inspiration. (We drove all the way to Tampa for that, which is twice as far from us as Mobile.)

And Fantasy was my very first cruise ship. I was looking forward to seeing her again. Sounds like it is time for us to rethink our plans; I'm glad that we haven't booked anything, yet.

Your only other options would be Galveston or New Orleans.

The Ecstasy (Galveston) at the moment is in Freeport getting the total makeover to include Waterworks, balcony cabins (8a-8e), Resort pool, and inter-connecting cabins.

The Triumph (New Orleans) has inter-connecting cabins. It has a decent sized waterslide.

Dave

The new gangway for the terminal is due to arrive from Spain on Sunday and the contractor has one week to have it operational.

http://www.al.com/business/press-register/index.ssf?/base/business/1253783739117460.xml&coll=3

That is great news about the crew center as there is not much there for them. Well they did say they would have the gangway in operation by Oct 1st.

Dave

Archived