Upgrades for D+

Seagalca

I was told by the D+ desk that they need 5 balcony cabins available before they can use them for D+ upgrades. They start CALLING 14 days in advance. There is a list of D+ members, and they start calling the passengers on that list 14 in advance. They call in the order of the number of total credits. It takes them a while to get down the list if there are a lot of D+ sailing on that cruise, so it could happen anytime within that 14 days. On my next cruise there are only 2 balcony cabins available, so unless 3 D+ on the list above me move out of balcony to higher categories, I will not get a balcony upgrade from our ov cabin. We are at the bottom of the list with "virgin D+" credits: 24. We like our existing cabin, so it's not a big deal to us not to get the upgrade.

I hope this helps.

I was told last week they start calling between 14 and 20 days in advance.

We called to ask about an upgrade on our last cruise on the Enchantment. The rep said for a three or four nighter, you need at least 75 cruise credits - I kid you not.

That's exactly what we were told just the other day. Same goes for a 5 night cruise.

So since I am D+ with over 75 cruises & we book balconies, it would make sense for them to call me at the 20 day mark so that they can move us up & then at 14 days get to moving the inside & ocean view D+ers....I don't know why it is so hard , unless they don't have the manpower or revenue is holding back the list of names for upgrades in the hopes that they sell the suites & so on...I am seeing many more W & X guarantees lately & they are priced below even senior rates for a JS or balcony. So to me this is a wonderful thing if it happens, but I don't have a lot of faith in the program or how it is run. I book my balcony & am happy, but I'm not happy when I'm in the lounge & hear that other guests with fewer cruises have been given better suites. I think it's a crap shoot depending on who you talk to in C&A & it shouldn't be that way. Top cruisers should be offered the top suites if they are upgrading from a balcony. And if it's in their file it should be automatic & you should not miss because you are not home. Same with ocean view to balcony--you should get category D if available.

Let's just hope they don't take the program away entirely.

OK, 14 - 20 days. You get the general idea of how it works. It's a dart game. If you aren't at home when they call, they go on to the next name.

They "told me" that they leave a message and allow 24 hours before withdrawing the offer or moving on to the next person.

Key phrase..."told me". LOL It seems they sometimes tell us what we want to hear. :rolleyes: We all hear different things, don't we? :eek:

Gina

I am a D+ with 49 credits. I've been upgraded on 4 of the last 6 cruises (length from 7-16 days). Three times I was called. The last time I called 13 days out and was moved from a D2 to a GS. On a TA Voyager cruise last November the C&A rep did a D+ event during which they introduced each D+ and told how many credits each had. There were about 80 D+ (40 couples) with credits ranging from 85 to 24. To my surprise most D+ were in the 25-30 credit group. Only a few had more than 40. I'm going to continue to call about 14 days out to find out where I am in the peeking order. The worst they can do is to say "sorry just enjoy your balcony."

Well, I'll just have to ask the onboard Loyalty Ambassador if there are any suites. I am seeing them for all 3 of my cruises, but I don't know if they "count" the RS. I know supposedly they never assign it, but it seems like they should count it as a suite.

Can you imagine if they really wait 24 hours to call the next guest what would happen? That seems too tedious & it could end up being sailing day without the upgrades.

I think the absolute best system would be for us to permanently put it in our C&A account that we want an upgrade to the highest suite available. If on a particular cruise we do not want an upgrade for some reason then we can call in & say that we do not want an upgrade. Simple. Wouldn't that work & save a lot of calls & hassle?

So since I am D+ with over 75 cruises & we book balconies, it would make sense for them to call me at the 20 day mark so that they can move us up & then at 14 days get to moving the inside & ocean view D+ers....I don't know why it is so hard , unless they don't have the manpower or revenue is holding back the list of names for upgrades in the hopes that they sell the suites & so on...I am seeing many more W & X guarantees lately & they are priced below even senior rates for a JS or balcony. So to me this is a wonderful thing if it happens, but I don't have a lot of faith in the program or how it is run. I book my balcony & am happy, but I'm not happy when I'm in the lounge & hear that other guests with fewer cruises have been given better suites. I think it's a crap shoot depending on who you talk to in C&A & it shouldn't be that way. Top cruisers should be offered the top suites if they are upgrading from a balcony. And if it's in their file it should be automatic & you should not miss because you are not home. Same with ocean view to balcony--you should get category D if available.

Let's just hope they don't take the program away entirely.

Actually, they will do the JS to full suite upgrades first, then the balconies to full suite (if there are any left), OV to balcony and inside to OV. I called DP the other day to order my amenity and the rep asked me if I wanted an upgrade to a suite, then realized we were already in a GS. I supposed I could have asked for an OS, but on Radiance the OS have tiny balconies, and I'm a balcony gal. And technically one isn't eligible to upgrade from a full suite to another full suite.

They "told me" that they leave a message and allow 24 hours before withdrawing the offer or moving on to the next person.

Key phrase..."told me". LOL It seems they sometimes tell us what we want to hear. :rolleyes: We all hear different things, don't we? :eek:

Gina

I've been told that, too, but it obviously doesn't happen that way.

Well, I'll just have to ask the onboard Loyalty Ambassador if there are any suites. I am seeing them for all 3 of my cruises, but I don't know if they "count" the RS. I know supposedly they never assign it, but it seems like they should count it as a suite.

Can you imagine if they really wait 24 hours to call the next guest what would happen? That seems too tedious & it could end up being sailing day without the upgrades.

I think the absolute best system would be for us to permanently put it in our C&A account that we want an upgrade to the highest suite available. If on a particular cruise we do not want an upgrade for some reason then we can call in & say that we do not want an upgrade. Simple. Wouldn't that work & save a lot of calls & hassle?

I'm sure that there won't be any full suites left by the time you board the ship - if they haven't been given away to DP, they will likely be sold at the pier. But it never hurts to ask. I don't know why the RS and RFS aren't available for DP upgrades, but they will sometimes just upgrade somebody to fill them up. It's usually somebody who has booked an OS - they don't offer upgrades within a category, so (for example) somebody who booked a GS isn't technically eligible for an upgrade to an OS, RFS or RS. So perhaps the person from Spain was upgraded to clear their original cabin for somebody in a JS.

• 3 years later...

Just to clear my confusion...what are cruise credits. ie I am a D+ with 49 credits. I thought a D+ was over 175 points.

I am Diamond with 81 points. Ie 81 nights at sea.

What do you all mean when you are D+ with 49 credits.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks

Raina

Just to clear my confusion...what are cruise credits. ie I am a D+ with 49 credits. I thought a D+ was over 175 points.

I am Diamond with 81 points. Ie 81 nights at sea.

What do you all mean when you are D+ with 49 credits.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks

Raina

This thread was started in 2009....when the method of accruing credits/points was different than it is now. Prior to the change, each cruise netted one credit, staying in a suite netted you an extra credit, and longer cruises received one additional credit.

And even earlier than that change it was one credit per cruise. Period.

As I recall, D+ was 25 (or maybe it was 20) credits before they changed to points. :)

So in 2009...someone was D+ with 49 credits which were later converted to points under the current system.

This thread was started in 2009....when the method of accruing credits/points was different than it is now. Prior to the change, each cruise netted one credit, staying in a suite netted you an extra credit, and longer cruises received one additional credit.

And even earlier than that change it was one credit per cruise. Period.

As I recall, D+ was 25 (or maybe it was 20) credits before they changed to points. :)

So in 2009...someone was D+ with 49 credits which were later converted to points under the current system.

Gold was 1 credit, Platinum was 5 credits, Diamond was 10 credits, and D+ was 24 credits.

It's a shame you have to start a post this way, but as an active reader - and seldom poster - I see way too much of this flaming going on with this board! There are pendantics out there ready to pounce at every opportunity.

Now to you thoughts above. This is definately the case. We were with an 85 credit (heavyweight) couple last week on the Enchantment OTS and they told us that they get upgraded from a balcony to a GS or OS on almost every cruise they take. We are at 31 credits and have seen only one upgrade which was from an inside to ocean view, which I would surmise will be easily achieved in the future for us Lightwieghts.

So it is obvious that the heavyweights are accumalating credits at a faster rate (per cruise) than the lightweights since they are more likely to get the extra credit suites. As far as we are concerned, we will just take twice as many cruises as the heavyweights in order to reach their ranks. Now, as for the superheavyweights, ie. 150 credits or more, that's probably beyond our reach. But we'll keep trying!

Not necessarily true.............there is no "extra credit" given to the cruiser if they are upgraded from a non-suite category to a suite. One has to pay the "price" of a suite to get the 2X credit.

Not necessarily true.............there is no "extra credit" given to the cruiser if they are upgraded from a non-suite category to a suite. One has to pay the "price" of a suite to get the 2X credit.

Gary, the post you responded to was written back on September 26, 2009. :D Back then, when cruise credits were issued, if you were given a complimentary upgrade you were given the extra cruise credit at that time. When they went to the points system, you are only given double points for a paid JS or above cabin category.

We were with an 85 credit (heavyweight) couple last week on the Enchantment OTS and they told us that they get upgraded from a balcony to a GS or OS on almost every cruise they take. We are at 31 credits and have seen only one upgrade which was from an inside to ocean view, which I would surmise will be easily achieved in the future for us Lightwieghts.

So it is obvious that the heavyweights are accumalating credits at a faster rate (per cruise) than the lightweights since they are more likely to get the extra credit suites. As far as we are concerned, we will just take twice as many cruises as the heavyweights in order to reach their ranks. Now, as for the superheavyweights, ie. 150 credits or more, that's probably beyond our reach. But we'll keep trying!

That isn't necessarily the case. By your definition I qualify as a "superheavyweight" with 216 credits, but have never received an upgrade. I tend to travel off-season and have been on a variety of ships & iteneraries, so I would have thought that sheer dumb luck should have sent the upgrade fairy my way by now.

Maybe I've been confusing her by moving around so much and I should stay on one ship for a a couple of consecutive cruises so she knows where to find me. :D

That isn't necessarily the case. By your definition I qualify as a "superheavyweight" with 216 credits, but have never received an upgrade. I tend to travel off-season and have been on a variety of ships & iteneraries, so I would have thought that sheer dumb luck should have sent the upgrade fairy my way by now.

Maybe I've been confusing her by moving around so much and I should stay on one ship for a a couple of consecutive cruises so she knows where to find me. :D

This thread is from 2009. Are you perhaps confusing credits with points? If you had had 216 credits in 2009...you would be a Pinnacle member today. :)

Credits were a little more difficult to get than points. EDIT: I take that back, they weren't "harder" to get, a 3 day cruise could get you one or 2 credits. A 7 day cruise would get you the same....the accounting was just different.

We were " BUMPED " up to a JS from a D1... 3 weeks ago on the Freedom....and we only received the 7 points for our original booking.....even though I was hoping to get the double points...Oh Well, The JS was Super Cool to have for the week! Thanks RCCL!

We were " BUMPED " up to a JS from a D1... 3 weeks ago on the Freedom....and we only received the 7 points for our original booking.....even though I was hoping to get the double points...Oh Well, The JS was Super Cool to have for the week! Thanks RCCL!

Congrats on the upgrade.

Yep, you only get the points for the category you paid for:( But, you got to enjoy the JS:)

Archived