I want 2 go 2 St. John from St. Thomas....

NWHairGal

I will be porting in St. Thomas but really want to go to St. John. I do not want to take the ships excursion because the last time I did, I didn't get enough time on St. John, plus it was too expensive for how little time we were there.

Has anyone taken their own "excursion" to St. John from St. Thomas? Can you tell me your experience? I saw that there was a Ferry, but am wondering if anyone knows of any other way. Or if the Ferry is the best option?

Also, once on St. John, are their taxi's readily available to go to Trunk Bay? Any ideas of how much I'll be looking at to do this excursion on my own?

Thanks for your expertise!

there is a ferry leaving from downtown or red hook(you would need taxi to get there) many times a day.There are taxis when you get to st johns and there should be no problem getting one back(but maybe make a deal with who drives you out).Coming back from island to red hook there will be no problem getting taxi from red hook to ship..I donnot remember the cost-but am thinking maybe around $40-$50 for 2

you donnot need a plane /that is silly.The ferry from downtown is a nice scenic ride but longer than the red hook and a bit more(but taxi to red hook will add also).Downtown leaves fewer time a day also.

Chk schedule for coming back and allow 1 hour(i know its not that long--but traffic??) from red hook to the ship

Just a quick note....despite the extra taxi cost/time, I prefer to take the ferry from Red Hook rather than Charlotte Amalie (ie., downtown).

The ferry really rocks 'n' rolls in rough seas. Trip is much shorter from Red Hook, much smoother IMO.

I will be porting in St. Thomas but really want to go to St. John. I do not want to take the ships excursion because the last time I did, I didn't get enough time on St. John, plus it was too expensive for how little time we were there.

Has anyone taken their own "excursion" to St. John from St. Thomas? Can you tell me your experience? I saw that there was a Ferry, but am wondering if anyone knows of any other way. Or if the Ferry is the best option?

Also, once on St. John, are their taxi's readily available to go to Trunk Bay? Any ideas of how much I'll be looking at to do this excursion on my own?

There are cabs waiting at the port that will take you to either charlotte amalie or red hook (the two ferry docks). Check schedules to find out which one makes sense for trip up and trip back. There are always the open air cabs that will take you from Cruz Bay (St John) to Trunk Bay or the other beaches in St John. This trip is pretty easy and you will get much more beach time than a ship excursion. Forget the name but there is this great little outdoor cantina with good tacos. We grabbed some before taking the ferry back to St Thomas.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Get off the ship absolutely as soon as you can in the morning and grab a taxi to Red Hook. There is a ferry dock closer, but the ferries are not as frequent which will be very limiting. I believe they are every 30 minutes from Red Hook.

Yes, there will absolutely be cabs available when you arrive at St. John to take you anywhere you want to go. I agree that Trunk Bay is lovely, but if you've been there before, may I make a suggestion? On our last visit, we took a cab to the Annaberg Ruins. The cab dropped us off on the road, right between two directional signs. One was for the Annaberg Mill Ruins (just up the hill), one was for the Leinster Bay Trail (just below). We first followed the Leinster Bay Trail. It's a short trail - maybe a half mile. We were accompanied by a ferrel donkey, which is apparently fairly common. We ended up at a small beach, where there were only about five other people. We put on our snorkeling gear (we'd brought it along in back packs) and found ourselves swimming with rays, fish and sea turtles. It was like being part of a Discovery Channel special. The most amazing experience. We were close enough to touch the turtles, but didn't want to spook them. They just let us swim with them.

After time on the beach, we walked up to the ruins. They sit on a hill with a most incredible view. Just breath-taking.

There is a clean public rest room just outside of the ruins.

We were lucky enough to catch a taxi (bus) that was half way through an island tour. They allowed us to take the remainder of the tour for the same price as a cab ride back to town, so we jumped at the chance.

There are so many trails and beaches where you're likely to be all alone or only one of a half dozen people there.

St. John is, to date, my favorite place on earth! You won't regret visiting there, I promise!!!

I've found that between taxis and ferry rides, the do it yourself trip is about on par with what the cruiselines cost.

We took the ferry over from Charlotte Amalie and it was a nice trip, not too rough. Maybe we just got lucky.

Check out the Forum for lots of info on getting to St. John from St. Thomas. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133

I also did not see much of a price difference to do the tour ourselves- we were also on the ferry with the cruiselines excursion people.

So if you do it yourself-- or do it with the cruiselines-- the time frame will work out to be the same amount of time.

you do NOT want to miss that ferry-- the next one will get you to an empty dock.

You will need to take a taxi to get to the ferry- (on a cruiselines excursion there is a ferry that picks you up at the ship.)

Ferry is the only way to st Johns- (besides the plane) pay attention to the schedules. remember traffic getting back to the ship will be heavy.

I can't agree with the posts above. There is a huge price difference.

We docked at Havensight. Here is a summary of the cost and I don't think any ship excursion came close.

Havensight to Red Hook - Cab $10 per person

Red Hook Ferry to Cruz Bay St John - $4 per person

Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay - Cab $6 per person

Admission - $4 adults (kids free)

TOTAL COST - $44

see post below and do not miss going on your own. We do it everytime we dock in St Thomas and try and get there real early before the crowd from the ship tour gets there. Its fun to watch them be herded off while you are stilll there relaxing and getting some extra time :p Have fun!!

Thank you all for all of your thoughts on this subject. I know Trunk Bay isn't the most secluded beach there, but every time I see it on a calendar or in a picture, I love thinking, "I swam there!!" My kids have not been there, and I want them to be able to say that too.

I do think we will get off the ship early and go to St. John on our own. With 4 of us going, I do think we'll be doing our pocket book a favor by going for it ourselves.

I do remember the last time we were there, being one of those cruise excursion people, who was "herded" off the beach to go back, after only an hour or so of swim time. I want nothing more than to plop my bum on the sand for the entire day and swim to our hearts desire!! Now....if only our cruise were closer.....

I can't agree with the posts above. There is a huge price difference.

We docked at Havensight. Here is a summary of the cost and I don't think any ship excursion came close.

Havensight to Red Hook - Cab $10 per person

Red Hook Ferry to Cruz Bay St John - $4 per person

Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay - Cab $6 per person

Admission - $4 adults (kids free)

TOTAL COST - $44

It costs us 52.00 pp for us through the cruiselines. It was Princess which docks further away-- so more of a cab fare.

I dont know what the going rate today is-- but for the 8 dollars it was a cheap price for peace of mind

I know Trunk Bay isn't the most secluded beach there, but every time I see it on a calendar or in a picture, I love thinking, "I swam there!!" My kids have not been there, and I want them to be able to say that too.

Just a suggestion if you get a chance, pick up a St. John calendar at a shop in Cruz Bay and enjoy it all next year (and the pictures forever!). Also, enjoy Trunk Bay for a while before the rest of the crowd arrives, then move down to the beach at Cinnamon Bay for the rest of the time (I think a short cab ride is the way to go?). It should be much less crowded. ;)

It costs us 52.00 pp for us through the cruiselines. It was Princess which docks further away-- so more of a cab fare.

I dont know what the going rate today is-- but for the 8 dollars it was a cheap price for peace of mind

I actually did mine from a Princess ship. It docked at Havensight. Princess did not offer a $52 Trunk Bay excursion and that might relate to the ship only being in from 7 am to 3 pm. But we still got over two hours of beach time doing it on our own and that was even taking a 12:30 pm ferry back. We got to Trunk Bay by 9:45 and left around 11:50. We got a quick bite at the cantina and spent some time in Cruz Bay before taking that early ferry back. We were back on the ship really early. I would agree that if it were just $8 times the 4 of us or $32, I may have chosen a Princess excursion. But I wouldn't if it meant only one hour at Trunk Bay. On those ship beach excursions, you spend well over an hour being herded into lines and waiting. You get more time and more flexibility doing it on your own. It was one of the highlights of our last cruise.

Archived