Uh-Oh! Cancellation question...

cooncat_mom

We're sailing soon with 3 in a suite (2 DSs & me) & 2 in an inside (DD & friend). We planned to hit the Purser's desk when we boarded & put DD & Friend with me in suite & DSs in inside. Well, Friend will have to cancel (unfortunately - hopefully insurance will pay). Should we just have her as a no-show till we hit the Purser's desk? I don't want DD to be charged the $$ for solo cabin since she's paid the cost of the 2nd person in the suite and I'm afraid she will be if Friend notifies Carnival. This story is actually longer - originally there were going to be DH & I in suite & DD & friend in inside. DH backed out (:mad:) after we booked but then DSs decided to go, so Carnival refused to flip the booking because they wanted to save us money! *sigh* I'll need a vacation to recover from all the planning hitches we've had!

The question is why is the friend of DD not showing. Why do you think insurance will cover it? If it is covered by a NO show. Then do it....

But if you do cancel they will stick her with single rate. Is there quads available

the 4 can go in one room?

When do you sail?

Be aware of the rules regarding minimin ages. If all the kids are under 21 and you have only one adult, you may not be allowed to keep the second cabin.

If the person cancelling gets a refund from the cruise line, it is possible that there would be a single supplement charged... call Carnival or your TA and find out.

When is the cruise?

Well, no one is under 21, and the DSs want a room together, so that was what we planned. The Friend is ill (not H1N1 or contagious) and the doctor doesn't want her to cruise, so the forms will be filled out. I was just curious if we'd be better off to let them know when we change the rooms on board, or if Friend should call Carnival beforehand...We sail this weekend and, like I said, DD has already paid me the suite price & the boys paid the inside price (I made the bookings on my CC). It would have been easier if my PCP had just said "OK - for $150 more I'll just book you guys the way you want" which was females in one room & males in the other. Guess I'll give them a call & see what they say. Maybe now they'll change names on the booking to save us a little bit of money. This vacation is so much fun (:p not!) and it hasn't even started!

You can also go to the pursers desk after you board and switch rooms. My brother and I did it, so I know it can happen. It would seem to me that with her friend being sick, it is not Carnival that will refund the money, it is the insurance company, so Carnival is not out anything. I would just have her as a no show and then notify Carnival that she was sick and could not go.

We're sailing soon with 3 in a suite (2 DSs & me) & 2 in an inside (DD & friend). We planned to hit the Purser's desk when we boarded & put DD & Friend with me in suite & DSs in inside. Well, Friend will have to cancel (unfortunately - hopefully insurance will pay). Should we just have her as a no-show till we hit the Purser's desk? I don't want DD to be charged the $$ for solo cabin since she's paid the cost of the 2nd person in the suite and I'm afraid she will be if Friend notifies Carnival. This story is actually longer - originally there were going to be DH & I in suite & DD & friend in inside. DH backed out (:mad:) after we booked but then DSs decided to go, so Carnival refused to flip the booking because they wanted to save us money! *sigh* I'll need a vacation to recover from all the planning hitches we've had!

If DD has Cruise Insurance, it will normally pay the single supplement if roomate (traveling companion) cancels for covered reason. what Trip Insurance Policy does DD have? ken

I was told that both in the room have to have the insurance and then if one cancels it will pay the single supplement.

pat.....specifically for the Carnival Berkely Trip Protection Plan, the Policy says Traveling companion, not Insured Traveling Companion.

Out of curiosity I spoke at length with a Berkely Claims Rep who stated: (a) your Traveling companion who cancels does NOT have to be insured, but

(b) your Traveling companion has to be cancelling for a reason covered by the cancellation coverage.

So if you have Berkely Policy and your Traveling Companion (who does not have Berkely Policy) cancels for a covered reason, you could claim reimbursement for the resultant single supplement. I'm thinking your problem won't be whether the companion is insured, but whether they're cancelling for a covered reason!

For what it's worth! Ken

Thank you grandmato4 & Ken76 - I wouldn't have thought of that. We're with Access America through AAA. I bought it late because everyone was telling me NOT to waste the money since we all have insurance that will cover us out of the country. The beginning of the month, I broke down & paid for insurance for everyone (including the friend) to make me feel better! She was officially pronounced pregnant about a week after I got the insurance (we'd no idea) and was cleared to cruise. This week her morning sickness turned into all the time sickness and they're considering admitting her for IV's so now they won't clear her. The annoying thing is that whether or not she's covered, we do still have enough people to pay double occupancy for both the room and the suite, which is why I was wondering if I should just officially move a DS into her cabin and the friend into mine. I'll talk to the insurance company & Carnival first though. Thanks for the advice!

I don't have any advice but just wanted to say that I hope you have a very nice RELAXING cruise.

Thanks Heidi! At this point, I'm just hoping I GET there!:eek:

Update - just got off the phone with my PVP. Official word is to go, check in & have Friend be a no-show. Then go to Purser's Desk and change rooms. They won't hit DD with solo cruiser cost & we'll end up the way we planned. Thanks for the advice, everyone...Hopefully friend will be able to get money back from her trip insurance & I can go back to my "kids" and say :cool: Nyah,Nyah Told you so! about the insurance! :D

Re: The Insurance Claim , it could be denied? I've seen it happen!

If the submitted Claim form states that the doctor terminated travel far before the sailing date , and the guest did not cancel his/her cruise at that time ,and just not showed up ,the claim can be denied .

Don't forget , Insurance pays the non refundable (penalty) portion , which

increases from final up until sailing. I can understand that.:confused:

I had to claim on a policy for a client. He had triple bypass surgery the week of sailing. Since he was in the full penalty phase at that time the insurance paid all non refundable costs. The cruise line refunded the port charges, prepaid tips, taxes etc. As long as her doctor states that the pregnancy was diagnosed after the insurance was bought (unless your policy covers pre-existing conditions) and verifies that due to her recent complication she can't travel, you should have a great argument for full coverage.

Archived