Live from QM2- Warning and thanks

Photo Andy

We are having a great 19 days autumn colours on QM2. Arrived New york Friday am 2 October, no problem with taxi to 'top of the Rock" and other site seeing in NY. Tried to get a taxi to return to Brooklyn Cruise terminal - 3 refused, claimed they did not know directions even though I had a map. Started to think about using the subway when a New Yorker offered to help - stopped a taxi and demanded the taxi driver take us to Cruise terminal. THANK YOU TO THE LADY OUTSIDE SAKS ON 5TH AVE. I did not get your name but a helping angel. I am thinking of sending an email complaint to Mayors office as this could have led to an awkward situation. Just becareful in NY returning to the cruise terminal with taxis. As cruise critic is read World wide if this lady mentions helping two Brits in New York please pass our thanks again. I am sure cc members will offer suggestions/solutions but be aware!!

Photo Andy

In New York you should normally get inside the cab before you give the driver the destination. Then when they say they won't take you, ask them to take you to the nearest Police Precinct House, they will soon change their minds and remember where Brooklyn Bridge and Brooklyn Battery Tunnel lead to, the clue is in the name.

In New York you should normally get inside the cab before you give the driver the destination. Then when they say they won't take you, ask them to take you to the nearest Police Precinct House, they will soon change their minds and remember where Brooklyn Bridge and Brooklyn Battery Tunnel lead to, the clue is in the name.

Good advice to get into the cab first but not so sure about asking to go to the police precinct. If they refuse to take you, tell them they cannot refuse and that you will report them to the Taxi and Limousine commission - and proceed to write down there name and the medallion number (4 letter/number unique id). They do not want to get hauled in front of the commission because it will most likely end up in a fine.

From the TLC website:

• Refusal Law

From Driver Rule 2-50 (in PDF):

It is against the law to refuse a person based on race, disability, or a destination in New York City. A taxicab driver is required to drive a passenger to any destination in the five boroughs. You can make a refusal complaint by calling 3-1-1.

• Are drivers required to know how to get to any destination in New York City?

Drivers are required to know the streets of Manhattan as well as major destinations in the other boroughs. Additionally, all New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission licensed taxi drivers must have a map available to them when on duty. If they do not, they are in violation of TLC rules and regulations. In addition, as per TLC rules, they are required to know the "lay of the land", that is, have extensive knowledge of the NYC area. Taxi drivers are not permitted to refuse service, because they do not know how to reach a destination. They must consult their 5-borough map to identify the best route to any destination within the 5 boroughs.

Oh, dear am I going to have the same problem trying to get from Laguardia to Brooklyn on Oct. 29? Why don't the cabbies want to go to the Brooklyn pier?

From the airport it should be easier since they have taxi cab dispatchers that ask you your destination and tells the cabbie where to go.

This is a common problem if you are in Manhattan. Going to the dock in May this year for a TA I experienced the same song and dance from cabbies not knowing how to get there etc. A very direct hotel doorman :eek: scared the beejeebers out of cabbie number 3 :D who took me very quickly to the dock. The problem is that when they are taking you to the Brooklyn dock there is little hope for a return fare for the driver, thus they want to avoid the fare if they can. You can avoid this by booking a car service or cab in advance. Yes the Laguardia taxi dispatchers are great BTW, you won't have a problem.

That being said, in all fairness this is not a problem unique to NYC. I encountered the same situation in London two weeks later going from Central London to a relative's near North Acton. It took 4 tries to get a cabbie who would take me. All the cabs used Sat-Nav and I had the code for the address. I don't know London's regulations but I think they are likely similar, perhaps more strict.

I do not recommed screeching into a cabbie's ear about how they 'HAVE TO TAKE YOU THERE BECAUSE' anywhere in the world. That is just asking for trouble sooner or later. Note down the car number, taxi licence number (not licence plate) and time. Then forward a complaint to the powers that be.

I had always been told prior to my visits to NYC, to get into the cab first before saying your destination. I had a similar problem once getting to the Manhatten cruise terminal - the driver tried to get us to get out and cross the main highway there on foot to save him driving round the one way system.

Another thing to beware of, last July, we got off the Circle Line sightseing boat and as it was so hot tried to get a taxi back to midtown Manhattan. Hearing our UK accents, a private hire car driver offered to take the three of us for an astromonical fare ($30 each as I recall). When he realised one of us was US and we all declined his "kind" offer, he dropped to $20 for all three.

Yes I dont think it is that they dont know how to get there but the return fare probelm.

We had the same problem getting a taxi to the terminal. We were successful without any such threats, they just dont much like it though!

For this line I think hiring in advance or using the Cunard bus transport is the best answer. If however you are driving yourself the pier parking is so convinent.

It is the law - the driver cannot refuse your request - reality is different at times....

Once you are in the cab - tell the driver your destination...if he gives you a bad time - just jot down his liscense # & name - they are posted on the partition behind the drivers head...and let him know it....

I also never have a problem telling the driver to get off his phone until after he drops me at my destination...

After 28 years in NYC I learned...don't take offense - just be firm!!!

Bon Voyage....

Andy:

Hope you are having a good time onboard. We went to the Boston pier today to watch the QM2 sail off at 6 PM but she didn't.

What happened? You will see I stayed there as long as I could - hope you enjoy the exterior shots,

Alan

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg\

DSC_0244.jpg

The problem is that when they are taking you to the Brooklyn dock there is little hope for a return fare for the driver, thus they want to avoid the fare if they can.

That would be every cabbies excuse for not taking anyone from Manhattan to any of the 4 other boroughs; other than trips to the airport most of those will likely result in no return fare. That's why the rule is that they have to take you anywhere you ask.

I do not recommed screeching into a cabbie's ear about how they 'HAVE TO TAKE YOU THERE BECAUSE' anywhere in the world. That is just asking for trouble sooner or later. Note down the car number, taxi licence number (not licence plate) and time. Then forward a complaint to the powers that be.

No need to screech! :) Just be firm and insist that they take you unless they want you to file a complaint.

• 2 weeks later...
Andy:

Hope you are having a good time onboard. We went to the Boston pier today to watch the QM2 sail off at 6 PM but she didn't.

What happened? You will see I stayed there as long as I could - hope you enjoy the exterior shots,

Alan

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg\

DSC_0244.jpg

Hi Alan! Thanks for posting the photos. I was also on this trip (and our limo driver had problems finding the pier, his GPS took us somewhere else), so it was good to see a photo of our ship. No reason was given for our late departure, we seemed to be late leaving most ports. Sometimes this was related to there being another ship in port, and negotiations about who was to leave first. It was a clear night in Boston, with an almost full moon seen behind our funnel. It was a beautiful site!

Are there plenty of taxi's waiting to take disembarking passengers from Red Hook to Kennedy airport? I wonder if I should arrange for a car service vs waiting on a cab when we disembark the QM2.

There is usually a line and it might take some time for your turn but there are usually plenty of taxis pulling in. I've only had it happen once that there were no taxis and I then waited about 20 minutes until some cabs pulled in. There are also town cars, limos, etc. as well which charge more. It wouldn't be seem so expensive if there are two or more but for one I have never been so rushed that I had to spend more for the car rather than wait for a cab. Cab fare with tip from Red Hook to JFK costs just under $60.

Andy:

Alan

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg\

DSC_0244.jpg

Alan - Thanks for those greaet shots.

She is just stunning!! We are WB TA on 11Nov.

Can't wait!

Tom

There is usually a line and it might take some time for your turn but there are usually plenty of taxis pulling in. I've only had it happen once that there were no taxis and I then waited about 20 minutes until some cabs pulled in. There are also town cars, limos, etc. as well which charge more. It wouldn't be seem so expensive if there are two or more but for one I have never been so rushed that I had to spend more for the car rather than wait for a cab. Cab fare with tip from Red Hook to JFK costs just under $60.

Thanks for your answer! We experienced kind of the same thing when we disembarked from the QE 2 in midtown Manhattan.....there was a line of us waiting for taxi's and it seemed to take forever to get a cab.

This will be my first sailing out of the Red Hook pier, so I just wanted to make sure of what to expect.

Thanks for your help! :)

Archived