Alaska--Vancouver Roundtrip--Air ???'s

Sheltieluv

Good afternoon, everyone.

We are looking at the June 9 Vancouver round-trip cruise on the Regent Navigator. We are US citizens and live about a 4-hours' drive from Toronto. Since Regent offers "included" air from Toronto, we would drive over the day before and spend the night near the Toronto airport.

I did a flight search, and I am seeing AirCanada non-stops to Vancouver, which would be great. (We actually live near Rochester, NY, but of course there would be connections, and just plain more hassle.) There are several flight times to choose from departing Toronto. My questions are:

1. Should we still pay the $100 pp deviation fee to ensure that we would in fact get a non-stop flight at the time we want it, or can we assume that since we would be flying the day of the cruise, that Regent would automatically schedule us accordingly? (hopefully w/ no connecting flights) Note that we have never used cruise/air before, so I'm new at this aspect of travel.

2. On the return---and this may be a dumb question, so bear with me:o-would we clear customs in Vancouver before flying, or in Toronto after arrival? As US citizens, when we debark the Navigator in Vancouver and go to the airport, since we would be on an AirCanada flight (again, I'm assuming) I'm just not sure what the protocol would be, because we're Americans and not Canadians.

3. Could we make an 11 a.m. flight, since it would be on a Wednesday? (We don't want to overnight again in Toronto on our return, but drive home that night).

I hope these questions make sense, and I thank you for your help! I look forward to hearing from someone.

We are looking at the June 9 Vancouver round-trip cruise on the Regent Navigator. We are US citizens and live about a 4-hours' drive from Toronto. Since Regent offers "included" air from Toronto, we would drive over the day before and spend the night near the Toronto airport.

I did a flight search, and I am seeing AirCanada non-stops to Vancouver, which would be great. (We actually live near Rochester, NY, but of course there would be connections, and just plain more hassle.) There are several flight times to choose from departing Toronto. My questions are:

1. Should we still pay the $100 pp deviation fee to ensure that we would in fact get a non-stop flight at the time we want it, or can we assume that since we would be flying the day of the cruise, that Regent would automatically schedule us accordingly? (hopefully w/ no connecting flights) Note that we have never used cruise/air before, so I'm new at this aspect of travel.

No guarantee of what non-stop or connecting flight Regent might put you on so would need to pay the fee to guarantee the non-stop when you want it.

2. On the return---and this may be a dumb question, so bear with me:o-would we clear customs in Vancouver before flying, or in Toronto after arrival? As US citizens, when we debark the Navigator in Vancouver and go to the airport, since we would be on an AirCanada flight (again, I'm assuming) I'm just not sure what the protocol would be, because we're Americans and not Canadians.

When you leave the ship you are in Canada and since you were in the states on the cruise you would be entering Canada and go thru Canadian Customs. The flight to Toronto is domestic within Canada so no customs. You would clear US customs on the drive back to New York just like you would clear Canadian customs on the way to Toronto.

3. Could we make an 11 a.m. flight, since it would be on a Wednesday? (We don't want to overnight again in Toronto on our return, but drive home that night).

Can't answer the 11 am question for sure but, doubt it since they want you at the airport 2 hours early and you arrive Vancouver at 8 AM and would probably take an hour or so to get on your bus and then at least 30 minutes or more to the airport. Also to get a flight home you want, you would need to pay the $100 so pay it and you get both 1 and 3 when you want them and pick both going and coming.

I hope these questions make sense, and I thank you for your help! I look forward to hearing from someone.

Thanks,

p.s. We luv Shelties too.

First, I'm curious why you want to leave from Toronto. Is there another airport closer to you than Toronto? Regent's included air leaves from many U.S. cities.

If you do have to (or want to) depart from Toronto, Regent may or may "include" the total airfare on Air Canada as this is not one of the airlines they typically use. There could be an additional charge.

There are not many direct flights from the east coast. I would suggest letting Regent make the arrangements. Keep in mind that Regent will pay for a hotel overnight in Vancouver if they are not able to get you to Vancouver early enough for the flight. They typically use 1:00 p.m. as the latest arrival time in a city.

I'll let someone else answer the customs question. Typically, there are both American and Canadian border agents at Vancouver Airport, so, if you were returning to the U.S. instead of Canada, you most likely could clear customs for the U.S. in Vancouver (at least that is what they have done when we arrive in Vancouver and fly home to Washington state).

Hello RallyDave and TravelCat2

Thanks for your responses. I appreciate your help!

We are located midway between Syracuse and Rochester, so yes, those airports are definitely closer than Toronto. However, airfare from either of those would be $199 (according to the Regent brochure), plus I would probably pay deviation fees because I would definitely want to fly to Vancouver the day before, as we would be dealing with connections for sure. However, I'm going to look into what possible flights are out there from Syracuse and Rochester; maybe the connections wouldn't be too awful.....

Lots to research and think about!

RallyDave--thanks for the info. re. customs. Guess I'll also look into flights after noon from Vancouver; TravelCat--We've never used cruise/air, but in this case I'm quite sure that's the way we'll go.

Thanks again for your help. BTW, we have a cat too, as well as our sheltie! :) They sure make life fun!

I'll let someone else answer the customs question. Typically, there are both American and Canadian border agents at Vancouver Airport, so, if you were returning to the U.S. instead of Canada, you most likely could clear customs for the U.S. in Vancouver (at least that is what they have done when we arrive in Vancouver and fly home to Washington state).

travelcat

You are missing the point that they would be flying within Canada and NOT to the US from Vancouver. Doesn't matter whether there are customs agents at the airport or not. It is a domestic flight within Canada. No different than flying from Seattle to Miami. No customs or immigrations when you fly within the same country anywhere in the world!

If you fly from Vancouver to the US you do clear customs and immigration for the US at the Vancouver airport which is the 0same as most big Canadian airports. Not the same from the US to Canada. No Canadian customs or immigration in the US at airports.

Surprised you didn't know that.

travelcat

You are missing the point that they would be flying within Canada and NOT to the US from Vancouver. Doesn't matter whether there are customs agents at the airport or not. It is a domestic flight within Canada. No different than flying from Seattle to Miami. No customs or immigrations when you fly within the same country anywhere in the world!

If you fly from Vancouver to the US you do clear customs and immigration for the US at the Vancouver airport which is the 0same as most big Canadian airports. Not the same from the US to Canada. No Canadian customs or immigration in the US at airports.

Surprised you didn't know that.

My post was suggesting that they leave from the U.S. rather than Canada. In the scenario I was giving, the dual customs at Vancouver would be helpful to know. (Note: We live 22 miles from the Canadian border, have a Nexus Pass, Iris Recognition and the new Global Entry Pass where you enter the U.S. using fingerprints at 20+ major airports in the U.S. We know more than we ever wanted to know about Canadian/U.S. customs).

Sheltieluv: How far are you from JFK? The connections may be easier. I'll do some checking on flights and will post again. The odds are very strong that you would go the day before (with Regent paying for it:-)

P.S. The kitty pictured above (the real "travelcat" -- she has traveled a lot by car) loves dogs. Unfortunately, she hates cats and we have two that she hisses at daily.

Will Regent allow you to do a cash buy-out of the airfare portion? There are direct flights on both Air Canada and West Jet to Vancouver from Toronto and there are often seat sales (regular price is about $350 CAD, sales can be around $180). Cab ride from the airport to the port is $30-40 depending on which dock you are at. As for customs, you will clear Canadian customs when you get off the ship, fly domestic to Toronto and clear US customs once you drive to the border. 11AM flight should be OK, but if you go West Jet they have 11:30 and 13:30 to Toronto.

Okay -- I did some research. You do live very far from JFK. So, there is good news and not so good news. Regent could put you on:

Northwest Airlines out of Syracuse departing 6:20 a.m. with one stop and arrive in Vancouver 11:03 a.m.

or

Rochester on United Airlines at 8:05 a.m. and arrive in Vancouver (one stop) at 12:09 p.m. Note: Regent tends to use United Airlines.

That means that you can get to Vancouver in one day. Did you book with a Travel Agent? I hope you did (better deals). You can ask your TA if you need to pay the deviation fee on top of the $199 to fly out of Syracuse or Rochester. If you booked direct, call Regent and ask them.

The next thing is to look at the cost of gas going 195 miles each way to Toronto, plus the overnight in Toronto vs. the cost to fly out of a local airport the day before. It sounds like you would be staying one night in Toronto and one night in Vancouver.?

Switching gears for a moment (hope I'm not being too confusing -- the above is how Regent may decide to book you). You also have the choice to do air totally on your own. In that case you would receive a credit of approximately $700 for both of you (we are doing that on our Alaska trip that departs next May). You could use that credit to book, for instance:

Round-Trip Tickets

Tue, Jun 8, 2010

Syracuse (SYR) to Vancouver International Airport (YVR)

Depart: 06:20am

Arrive: 07:48am

Syracuse, NY (SYR) to

Detroit, MI (DTW)

1x1.gif Northwest Airlines

Flight 3517 operated by Mesaba Aviation (on Canadair Regional Jet 900)

1 Stop – change planes in Detroit, MI (DTW)

Connection Time: 1 hr 12 mins

Depart: 09:00am

Arrive: 11:03am

Detroit, MI (DTW) to

Vancouver, BC Canada (YVR)

Flight 2611 (on Airbus A319)

Total Travel Time: 7 hrs 43 mins

Wed, Jun 16, 2010

Vancouver International Airport (YVR) to Syracuse (SYR)

Depart: 12:00pm

Arrive: 08:03pm

Vancouver, BC Canada (YVR) to

Atlanta, GA (ATL)

1x1.gif Delta Air Lines

Flight 1652 (on Boeing 757)

1 Stop – change planes in Atlanta, GA (ATL)

Connection Time: 1 hr 37 mins

Depart: 09:40pm

Arrive: 11:47pm

Atlanta, GA (ATL) to

Syracuse, NY (SYR)

1x1.gif Delta Air Lines

Flight 5601 operated by Atlantic Southeast (on CRJ-700 CANADAIR REGIONAL)

Adult fare rules

Total Travel Time: 8 hrs 47 mins

The cost to do this itinerary on your own would be $1,385 total (with the $700 savings, it would cost around $685.)

So, as you see, there are several choices. Hope you pick the one that is easiest for you:)

If you do have to (or want to) depart from Toronto, Regent may or may "include" the total airfare on Air Canada as this is not one of the airlines they typically use. There could be an additional charge.

Just as a point of interest, Toronto is a "gateway" city for Regent's air program, meaning the full cost would be included in the "free air". Unless something has changed since earlier this year, as long as the "originating airport" on the booking is YYZ, the flights will be on Air Canada and will most probably be direct. There is essentially a YYZ/YVR flight every hour of the day at that time of year. The reason it will be on Air Canada (or possibly WestJet) is something call "cabotage rules" which prevent a US carrier from flying passengers from one Canadian city to another, or a Canadian carrier from flying passengers from one US city to another. It is rather more complicated than that, but you get my drift.

Just as a point of interest, Toronto is a "gateway" city for Regent's air program, meaning the full cost would be included in the "free air". Unless something has changed since earlier this year, as long as the "originating airport" on the booking is YYZ, the flights will be on Air Canada and will most probably be direct. There is essentially a YYZ/YVR flight every hour of the day at that time of year. The reason it will be on Air Canada (or possibly WestJet) is something call "cabotage rules" which prevent a US carrier from flying passengers from one Canadian city to another, or a Canadian carrier from flying passengers from one US city to another. It is rather more complicated than that, but you get my drift.

I think I understand the "cabotage rules" -- was not aware of that. We recently encountered a charge from Regent even though we were using a gateway city and an airline they sometimes use. Specifically, we are flying from Vancouver to Cape Town. Regent wanted to put us on Lufthansa. It had an 11 hour layover in Frankfurt. So, we asked to be put on British Air (paying the deviation, of course). Regent had put us on British Air previously so we did not expect a problem. However, due to the higher cost of using British Air over Lufthsansa, there was a $600 charge.

So, to tie this into the subject somehow. . . . I wondered if Regent would charge extra to use Air Canada over some other foreign air carrier that serves Canada. I think I may be making this much more complicated than it needs to be. Sorry.:o

Thanks,

p.s. We luv Shelties too.

You can opt out of the airfare portion of the cruise cost on Regents. Your travel agent can do so. We are going on the Regents cruise in June 2010 from Vancouver to Seward and the cruise was $984 less without the air. We were able to book our own airfare out of Rochester for $613 roundtrip (Roc to Vancouver and returning from Anchorage). We are traveling the day before and staying one night in Vancouver. You should aske your travel agent to investigate.

. I wondered if Regent would charge extra to use Air Canada over some other foreign air carrier that serves Canada. I think I may be making this much more complicated than it needs to be. Sorry.:o

Hi Jackie

To add to the confusion, Regent does sometimes use Air Canada. In February, flying from Edmonton to Fort Lauderdale and return, Regent used Northwest from Edmonton -Minneapolis-Fort Lauderdale and Air Canada from Fort Lauderdale-Toronto-Edmonton. We did pay a deviation fee to avoid two intermediate stops, but no extra for using Air Canada. Our travel agent told us that Regent did not use WestJet, but Roland4 may have more recent information.

mike

Hi Jackie

To add to the confusion, Regent does sometimes use Air Canada. In February, flying from Edmonton to Fort Lauderdale and return, Regent used Northwest from Edmonton -Minneapolis-Fort Lauderdale and Air Canada from Fort Lauderdale-Toronto-Edmonton. We did pay a deviation fee to avoid two intermediate stops, but no extra for using Air Canada. Our travel agent told us that Regent did not use WestJet, but Roland4 may have more recent information.

mike

Hi Mike,

Good to see you on the board. It's good news to hear that Regent allowed Air Canada -- someone told me that would not use them. But, as I learned, they can say okay one time and charge the next. A travel agent recently posted a wonderful explanation of how Regent air works. . . . just wish I could remember what thread it was on.

J

Of course they use Air Canada all the time. It's Star Alliance, which they tend to favour, on top of the fact that it makes the most sense from Toronto - Vancouver.

As has been said, there are numerous direct flights and I'm sure Regent will find you one without paying the deviation fee. If you did do the deviation, I suggest going a day early and spending time in Vancouver (but you will lose your transfers to the ship.) Or, take the air credit and book your own.

On the subject of the Vancouver - Toronto homeward flight (as with the outgoing flight), this is a domestic flight, no customs/immigration involved AT ALL. You will go through US customs again, of course, whens you drive home.

Hello Everyone! Thank you SO much for your timely responses and comprehensive information!

I will be using a TA for this trip and will be seeing her this week. Armed with the information you all have been kind enough to share, we will sort through it all and figure out what works best for us.

Thanks again; and if anyone thinks of anything else, please let us know.

Pay the extra money for a deviation and come in a day early. We flew from New York in August and Regent Air had us flying in the same day with only a 30 minute layover in SLC. We changed to flying in a day early with better connections. As it turned out the original flight was delayed in SLC and we would have missed the ship in Vancouver. Check out the flight stats before you make your reservation. A good place is Track Flight Stats. It's much more relaxing if you are there on time.

Hi all~ I guess it's going to boil down to the following:

1. Drive to Toronto; overnight there and fly nonstop to YVR the day of the cruise; that way we won't have to worry about missing any connections. (I guess we WOULD have to worry if AirCanada canceled our flight, but as Roland4 said, there are almost hourly flights.)

2. Fly from Syracuse or Rochester the day before, and pay the $199 air, and stay overnight in Vancouver before the cruise. Anything we do from Syr or Roc involves connections, of course. Plus, there would be the $100 pp deviation fee as well.

OK People--IF you were in my shoes, which would you choose? :-) I'll listen to you as you all seem to be well-traveled and sensible!

Again, thank you ALL for your advice. It is greatly appreciated!!

(cstrick--thanks for the headsup on that website.)

It's me again--After reading my last post, it sounds like I didn't listen to your advice that you have kindly already given--believe me, I have taken it all to heart. I'm truly grateful for your input. I guess I'm just feeling overwhelmed by all of the possible scenarios--another one that I need to think about is taking the air credit and just doing the air arrangements w/o Regent.

My gut is telling me to fly the day before, which provides a comfort level. But, we like the nonstop from Toronto too, the day of the cruse, and air is totally included.

I hope you all can understand my dilemma!

I'm assuming by the options that you have given yourself, that you can't take the extra day in both Toronto and Vancouver. This would be optimum.

If that is the case, I'd go into Vancouver the day before--a connection somewhere will be much shorter than the hassle of the drive. If you can take the extra day, drive to Toronto. If you do, try to find an airport hotel that will give you free parking while you are gone. We live in Toronto and have done this several times when we had very early flights.

Hi Wendy--

I looked into Sheraton Gateway, which is right at the airport, I believe? They do have a parking package, so IF we do the Toronto thing, that's an option.

I guess we really have to think about whether a 4-hour drive to Toronto, plus an overnight there, to get a non-stop to Vancouver will be worth it. (Can you tell I have flight connection-phobia??)

I'm sure anyone reading my posts is thinking, "Is this woman nuts?"....:eek::confused:

No, I don't think you're nuts at all.

Do remember that you have to drive home afterwards too.

One more thing. If you can pay Regent to get you from Rochester to Toronto you might get a forced overnight. But I guess if they route you themselves they wouldn't take you thru Toronto. Hmm. I suspect Travelcat has the best idea--one stop in Detroit doesn't sound too bad to me.

I'm going to look into TravelCat's Northwest flight w/the one connection in Detroit. Will have to cost out all the different factors and see what works best---the nonstop from Toronto has its merits. However, we could do the $199 pp fare from Syracuse and add in the deviation $ to leave a day early. Additional cost would of course be cabs because we would lose the transfers, but I guess in the grand scheme of things, that's negligible.

Decisions, decisions!

Thanks again for everyone's input and advice!

I'm going to look into TravelCat's Northwest flight w/the one connection in Detroit. Will have to cost out all the different factors and see what works best---the nonstop from Toronto has its merits. However, we could do the $199 pp fare from Syracuse and add in the deviation $ to leave a day early. Additional cost would of course be cabs because we would lose the transfers, but I guess in the grand scheme of things, that's negligible.

Decisions, decisions!

Thanks again for everyone's input and advice!

Keep in mind the you can book your own air -- then you wouldn't have to pay deviation or $199 pp from Syracuse. . . . and, get a credit on your cruise.:)

Hi Wendy--

I looked into Sheraton Gateway, which is right at the airport, I believe? They do have a parking package, so IF we do the Toronto thing, that's an option.

I guess we really have to think about whether a 4-hour drive to Toronto, plus an overnight there, to get a non-stop to Vancouver will be worth it. (Can you tell I have flight connection-phobia??)

I'm sure anyone reading my posts is thinking, "Is this woman nuts?"....:eek::confused:

That Sheraton is right in the airport, but at the wrong terminal if you're flying AC. Plus it is REALLY expensive and, frankly, not that great a hotel for the prices they charge. Plus I believe they will charge you for parking. There are LOTS of hotel within a ten minute shuttle ride (and they all have them) of Terminal 1 and I know some offer free parking.

The key issue in all of this, if you decide to fly to Toronto, is to make sure your TA uses Toronto as your Gateway city for the air/sea program when he/she makes the booking with Regent, otherwise they will assume you need air from your home city.

I think I understand the "cabotage rules" -- was not aware of that. We recently encountered a charge from Regent even though we were using a gateway city and an airline they sometimes use. Specifically, we are flying from Vancouver to Cape Town. Regent wanted to put us on Lufthansa. It had an 11 hour layover in Frankfurt. So, we asked to be put on British Air (paying the deviation, of course). Regent had put us on British Air previously so we did not expect a problem. However, due to the higher cost of using British Air over Lufthsansa, there was a $600 charge.

So, to tie this into the subject somehow. . . . I wondered if Regent would charge extra to use Air Canada over some other foreign air carrier that serves Canada. I think I may be making this much more complicated than it needs to be. Sorry.:o

Although the "conversation" has passed this post by, to answer your question, when you request an air deviation you pay the deviation fee plus any additional airfare required to fill your request. This is true whether you use a gateway city or not and has nothing to do with the airlines they "usually" use. In the OP's case, if the TA makes sure that Toronto is the Gateway city, then Regent will make the air booking as part of the air/sea package without any addtonal cost and almost assuredly on AC.

Archived