Road to Hana Day 1 or Day 2??

angiejoan

I know that we want to experience the RTH but I can't decide which day to go...I need opinions!

If we go the first day we're in port we won't get a very early start by the time we get our car and make a Walmart trip etc. However, we also don't have to worry about being back at any certain point...even though we'd want to be back by dark!

If we go day two we could take off extra early...but then will we feel rushed to get the car returned and back to the boat by 5??

Looking for opinions from those of you who have done it. Thanks in advance!!!

Without a doubt I would do it on day 1. What if there was an accident that delayed you from returning the car and getting to the ship on time?--if the road is blocked there is no other way around. I would not take the chance on something happening on day 2.

I agree. I would do it on Day 1. There are too many things that could happen on the Road to Hana...and the one thing you don't want to be is late getting back to the ship! I haven't done this excursion yet myself, but am looking forward to doing it this coming June.

My plans are for day 2...... There are varied opinions on whether to drive the whole way or not. So, what made my mind up is I don't want to spend a lot of time driving in a car. Also I am thinking it will be busier on day 1 from all the cruise ship passengers. If we leave the ship early, drive halfway and then stop on the way back we should have plenty of time.

This is what I have copied in my notes

Here is a quote I received from a Maui local about a short tour for the road to Hana;

" drive as far as Keanae at the 16 mile marker (Hana is at the 38 mile marker). Keanae is a beautiful Hawaiian town with seascapes, a church, taro fields, waterfalls and a great arboretum. It's a taste of hana without the drive.

We're going on day 2 as well. We want to go to the Old Lahiana Luau and snorkle north of Kapalua, so Hana on the 2nd day it is.

We have been to Hana before and struggled trying to see as much as we could and survive the traffic and twisting road! We're trying the NCL all day excursion, going full cirlce (hopefully!!). It stops at the winery on the return leg, which we found to be just OK previously, but..... after that ride, splitting a bottle or two sounds great! :eek::p:p

Day 1 ... we didn't get back to the ship until 8:30 pm ... exhausted with only enough energy to eat at the Grille ... walk around a little and then crash out. Don't short change the trip or be stressed out about having to get back and return the car prior to sail away. Day 1 allows you to really enjoy it - stress-free.

We did the all day ship's shore excursion full circle on day 2. It worked out just fine. Taking the ship's excursion you don't have the worry about returning on time. The winery was a really nice stop and the lunch we had in Hana was wonderful! It is a long and tiring day!! Very beautiful and worth every penny though!!

going on a ships tours, absolutely, you don't have to worry about the time. That said, the other posters who mentioned Day ONE, couldn't be more correct. The RTH is so narrow, winding etc that any sort of traffic thing could delay you for hours and the ship won't wait. Plus if you only want to do a short spell on the RTH you will be missing out on some fantistic sights, views and experiences. PLUS, if you go Day ONE, by the time you get going, there won't be much traffic going also, as they all would have left earlier. To me this is a 'no brainer'.

I know that you are on a cruise and do not want to miss ship time and ship meals. That said, if you want to do the entire Hana road, you really need 2 days. We did it in one day when we stayed in Hawaii and it was really a rush.

DON

Maui is the one stop I am having trouble planning as there is too much I want to see or do and not enough time.

Do you think this is a good plan?

• Rent a car for both days.
  • 1st day drive to Kannapali beach for a few hours of beach time and snorkeling at Black Rock
  • Stop at Lahaina for late lunch and afternoon shopping
  • Get back to the pier about 5pm. Chill out and get to bed early
  • 2nd day early rise to drive up Haleakala. Back to ship aroung 8am. Drive part of the road to hana as time allows but not past Naikua

I was also thinking we skip the sunrise on Halekala and just drive up there at 8 am on the 1st day and then do the Road to Hana partway. This would leave the beach and Lahaina for the 2nd day. Just not sure if the sunrise is not to be missed.

100% go on Day One. You never know what can happen on that road. I was there last week driving it (went all the way around) and about halfway through had to literally clear a tree off the road (in the pouring rain) that had fallen across one of the bridges with the help of about 5 other motorists stuck on either side.

Also, if you get hungry a must stop is this Nahiku Roadside stand around mile marker 25. (look for this is photo 1) This guy Ben (in the second photo) just opened up starting in October. Out of this world Kalua Pork Tacos and he has this incredible Avacado/Passion Fruit Sandwhich.

The only thing is that he said he is just leasing that spot and might move a mile or so down the road in a few months, but he'll be there somewhere. Nicest guy in the world and incredible food. Also, there was a second lady there selling Banana Bread which was the best we had after several stops as well too.

pic1.jpg.f616d509d262d3e09ec207a67cedc168.jpg

pic2.jpg.273eaa2b375515c3234bfea9155f613a.jpg

I'm planning to rent a car and do the RTH on day one so I can do the sunrise at Haleakala followed by the bike ride down on day 2. Probably won't get much sleep while docked in this port.;)

While it's too far in the future to know for sure, but I think I'm doing the same as you, except for the bike ride. I figure after the sunrise, I'll head back to ship for some breakfast and then on to a nice beach for some sun, sand and snorkeling.....after the early rise, I'll enjoy the relaxation!:D

• 2 weeks later...

OK, well, we're back so I thought I'd share what we decided!

Day one we did set out as early as possible after picking up the car (about 8:30). It was perfect, the early part of the road was fairly quiet so we made a few nice stops. Then the middle got a little busier so we didn't stop quite as much. By the time we passed them all and were past Hana it was nice and quite again! We enjoyed the sights around and past Hana and turned around early afternoon and enjoyed the areas that we had passed earlier now with fewer people! I was glad we did it on day one for those "just in case" issues!

Day 2 we headed to Lahina and Black Rock for some R and R!! It was great!

Thanks for the update. We will be leaving on the POA in 2 weeks and would like to know which car rental you use in Maui. Did you keep your car overnight? I have reservations for Enterprise at the airport for Day1, but have the harbor location pickup for Day2. Do you need to call for the shuttle, or is there one at the pier about every 10 minutes? The harbor location is closed on Sundays, that's why I had to make reservations at the airport location on Sunday.

Agree with the others, Day 1. I was in Hawaii in the 90's and near the turn-off for the crater, there was a filling station (think it was a Shell named Bob's). Anyway, he rented tapes that told you about the things on the way to the crater as well as the road to Hana. It was very informing/entertaining and fun to listen to what we were seeing. Hope "Bob" is still in business because I will be there in July on a cruise. While I have done the whole road twice (and the crater at the same time) on land tours, I think this time we will just go halfway up as we will have men with us who could care less what flower is what (lol).

Tucker in Texas

Archived