Residency rate - do we qualify

Although we are Canadian - but have a home in Largo, Florida-- we've been told that Royal is getting real sticky about the word "residency" - has anyone had any experience with getting a reduced rate even if they are not permanent Florida residents? We reside there about 5 months a year and pay property taxes - any input??

Residency rates aren't only for FL. They pick and choose (at random, it seems) what states get the special rates and when. There are also provinces in Canada listed. On the home page on the left, click on Exclusive Rates and put in all the info needed on the page.

Someone in the cabin must have a gov't ID showing they live where they say they live. I've never been asked to show ID but there was a thread on these boards a couple of months ago where someone got screwed.

Right off RC'swebsite:

"A valid driver's license or state-issued ID; U.S. or Canadian military ID; or U.S. or Canadian local, state or federal law enforcement, fire department, or EMT employment badge or ID must be presented at the pier to validate eligibility for the applicable Exclusive Rate. If eligibility cannot be validated, you will be charged the standard rate or denied boarding."

Our TA said it was kind of a grey area- our docs are mailed to our house in Florida - so who knows- we booked one cruise with the reduced rate for residents and had no problem, but she said they were really getting sticky with it - for a few dollars we wouldn't ake a chance, but if the amount was a couple of hundred dollars, I would just take along my property tax receipt and see what happens

thanks for the input folks - I really appreciate it:)

Are your passports Canadian or US? If they are Canadian, it will probably throw up a flag since you are trying to use a Florida resident rate. I don't know if RC would accept a tax receipt for Florida property as residency proof.

Hubby and I had to show our DL's last year for my Legend Med cruise since we booked using a Texas resident rate. US passports don't have the state of residence listed. I almost didn't bring my DL since I wasn't driving from the house to the airport nor was I planning on driving in Europe. I ended up leaving it in my purse "just in case" I needed some form of ID because my passport was stolen. I'm really glad I brought it! The price would have been over a grand more if I couldn't show I was a Texan!

Although we are Canadian - but have a home in Largo, Florida-- we've been told that Royal is getting real sticky about the word "residency" - has anyone had any experience with getting a reduced rate even if they are not permanent Florida residents? We reside there about 5 months a year and pay property taxes - any input??

Sorry but why are you calling them "sticky" just because they follow the rules?

If your proof of residency does not match what they have on file, you can always pay the difference upon boarding.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by The Viking

I cruised with my mother a few years back and we had a residency rate for Florida. At the time, she did not have a FL drivers license but she had a homeowners association picture ID which she used instead. They did ask for ID at the pier and what she showed was accepted.

I have had a residency discount for MA for a cruise since then. We had used our passports as ID at checkin but were not asked to show our drivers license to prove our residency and still got our awesome discount.

I do agree with the others who say that showing a Canadian passport might make them question the FL residency discount.

• 7 years later...
Sorry this thread is old, but what do you do if one person in the cabin is a FL resident and the other isn't? The website doesn't let you pick different rates per person. Do both passengers get the rate if one does?

Yes, only one passenger needs to be a resident for both passengers to get the residency rate.