Excerpt from article about e coli, hamburger not leading source!

I just read an article about e coli and other foodbourne illnesses and was interested to see that hamburger did NOT make the top ten list of risky foods. Here is the excerpt that I copied:

The Center for Science in the Public Interest listed the following foods, in descending order, as the most risky in terms of outbreaks: leafy greens, eggs, tuna, oysters, potatoes, cheese, ice cream, tomatoes, sprouts and berries.

The scientists rated these foods, all of them regulated by the Food and Drug Administration, by the number of outbreaks associated with them since 1990, and also provided the number of recorded illnesses.

The severity of the illnesses ranged from minor stomach aches to death, the center said. With leafy greens such as lettuce, the top cause of illness were pathogens like E. coli, Norovirus and Salmonella in foods that were not properly washed.

I just read an article about e coli and other foodbourne illnesses and was interested to see that hamburger did NOT make the top ten list of risky foods. Here is the excerpt that I copied:

The Center for Science in the Public Interest listed the following foods, in descending order, as the most risky in terms of outbreaks: leafy greens, eggs, tuna, oysters, potatoes, cheese, ice cream, tomatoes, sprouts and berries.

The scientists rated these foods, all of them regulated by the Food and Drug Administration, by the number of outbreaks associated with them since 1990, and also provided the number of recorded illnesses.

The severity of the illnesses ranged from minor stomach aches to death, the center said. With leafy greens such as lettuce, the top cause of illness were pathogens like E. coli, Norovirus and Salmonella in foods that were not properly washed.

and to think I thought I was doing good by eating my salads, guess have to stick to the burgers :eek:

And what does this have to do with Royal Caribbean? Wrong forum.;)

Guess you missed the thread late last week asking if anyone was sick after their cruise as their 26 year old niece was diagnosed with e-coli shortly after returning. Much discussion on how you get it and where she could have gotten it from. Main assumption was a burger on the ship! (not that I agree just repeating what was in the thread)

And what does this have to do with Royal Caribbean? Wrong forum.;)

No, its the right forum but thank you. Last week a young lady tested a positive for e coli upon return from her cruise on Royal Caribbean, making it one of the possible sources of the infection.

Why not post it to that thread instead of starting a new one? Answer:rolleyes:

Who said Hamburger was the biggest risk item? Answer nobody credible.

jc

I don't know, maybe because I didn't feel like sorting through a bunch of other threads containing all kinds of other misinformation. Or maybe I thought it was of particular interest since e coli can be fatal and it is possible that the ship was the source (and yes there are other, perhaps many other possibilities).

I'm not sure that I have perfect recall on whether or not the other posters in that thread listed hamburger (on the undercooked side) as the biggest risk or the next to the biggest risk or maybe 6th or 7th from the top.

All in all, it sounds like you know more than I do.

Probably not.... I just don't think this needed its own thread in the RCI forum. Especially, since it is not in any way apparent that RCI had anything to do with the e-coli infection. Just because I read something at CC doesn't mean it is true.

e-coli is bad. umkay.;)

jc

Why have boards at all. There's really only about a dozen topics anyway, the food, the room, whether or not its ok to wear jeans ... besides none of it is probably true anyway.

Sadly, I must agree you have a point there.;)

jc

Why have boards at all. There's really only about a dozen topics anyway, the food, the room, whether or not its ok to wear jeans ... besides none of it is probably true anyway.

...and tipping.

CC is 50% chatline/40% flameline/10% travel forum. I enjoy it for what it's worth

Archived