Cigar Smoking on Verandahs

Harry1954

I was quite surprised that HAL allows cigar smoking on verandahs. We just returned from the Black Sea trip on Prinsendam - a wonderful experience - and were sorely disappointed at this. Our neighbor on the deck just below us seemed to be on the vernahdah smoking a cigar each and every time we wanted to sit out on tours. Naturally, the smell/smoke always seemed to drift our way. This kept us from really being able to enjoy ourselves outside of the cabin.

We sail on Crystal alot and they forbid this. While I fully support the idea of a cigar bar and the cigar under the stars .. it just seems that allowing this on the vernandahs is a zero sum game - the cigar smoker wins - everyone else loses. Am I just being a pill?

harry

If you're a pill, I'm a pill, too. On our Alaska cruise last July, one of our verandah neighbors was a cigarette smoker. I don't know if I always knew when this person was smoking, but I knew it several times. It was most unpleasant, but I didn't say anything because smoking is allowed on the balconies. It didn't ruin our trip, by any means, but the cruise could have been better without smelling the cigarette smoke.

Joan

We had the same experience on the Amsterdam in May. Every time we tried to enjoy some time on the balcony there was this cloud of cigar smoke coming from the adjoining cabin. It was really disgusting and frustrating not to be able to use the space. I would love to see smoking (at least cigars) banned from the balconies.

My husband rarely smokes cigars. Yet, on a cruise, he enjoys puffing on his balcony. I'm certain that if a neighbor nicely "complained", he'd be more than happy to let it go out.

As Jim said, we pay the same amount for our balcony. This makes my husband happy.

We had the same experience on the Amsterdam in May. Every time we tried to enjoy some time on the balcony there was this cloud of cigar smoke coming from the adjoining cabin. It was really disgusting and frustrating not to be able to use the space. I would love to see smoking (at least cigars) banned from the balconies.

Didn't you call us?

hires_080421-N-1251W-006c1.jpg?t=1254881421

Couldn't resist, this thread is almost as much fun to read as "formal nights".

But seriously,we were surprised that anyone still smokes but they certainly do on HAL.

At some point their health may be affected by smoking related diseases.

They may even have to stop cruising due to these smoke related health problems.

So, stop smoking, if not for yourself or the rest of us then do it for your loved ones and live longer and cruise longer!

Just because someone pays for their cruise doesn't mean they can behave offensively toward their other passengers, and that includes smoking on the verandahs where it will impact the other passengers. There are other places to smoke on the ship.

So, stop smoking, if not for yourself or the rest of us then do it for your loved ones and live longer and cruise longer!

That may well be true. HOWEVER, it may also be true that you will be killed in a car accident tomorrow, so you may as well live!!! If smoking a cigar on your cruise is what pleases you have at it. No one knows what tomorrow is going to bring.

That may well be true. HOWEVER, it may also be true that you will be killed in a car accident tomorrow, so you may as well live!!! If smoking a cigar on your cruise is what pleases you have at it. No one knows what tomorrow is going to bring.

The operative word is an ACCIDENT....smoking is NOT an accident. It is something detrimental you do purposely to your body and those around you. I watched my father take his last breaths...I hope none of you ever have to go through that just for the "pleasure" of smoking.

Couldn't resist, this thread is almost as much fun to read as "formal nights".

But seriously,we were surprised that anyone still smokes but they certainly do on HAL.

Kindly quit the preaching. We're all adults here. ;)

The operative word is an ACCIDENT....smoking is NOT an accident. It is something detrimental you do purposely to your body and those around you. I watched my father take his last breaths...I hope none of you ever have to go through that just for the "pleasure" of smoking.

I'm sorry about your father. Truly sorry.

Good thing we're all adults and get to make our own choices.

Just because someone pays for their cruise doesn't mean they can behave offensively toward their other passengers, and that includes smoking on the verandahs where it will impact the other passengers. There are other places to smoke on the ship.

I hate that stinky cigar smoke in my cabin, thus he smokes on the balcony!:D

Yes, we ARE all adults and can make our own choices, but I didn't have a choice to lose my father...he chose to leave the family by his choice, he might as well have committed suicide right in front of us.

If I am too "preachy", I don't care. I watched him slowly die for 8 months, and watched him in those final moments. If you people "choose" to do that to your families, then I pity you.

And back to the subject...it's about respect for your fellow passengers. Think before you light up.

Truly, I can't believe HAL is still permitting cigar smoking on balconies.:eek:

I can't think of too many things more revolting than the nasty smell of a cigar.

Too bad HAL would rather cater to a few individuals and their offensive habits, while disregarding everyone else...:(

This can only make Celebrity look all the more attractive.

We pay the same for the cabin that you do and are entitled to use it as you are.

But your smoking on the balcony prevents others from being able to enjoy or maybe even use their balconies. Their NOT smoking does not prevent you from using yours.

I was quite surprised that HAL allows cigar smoking on verandahs. We just returned from the Black Sea trip on Prinsendam - a wonderful experience - and were sorely disappointed at this. Our neighbor on the deck just below us seemed to be on the vernahdah smoking a cigar each and every time we wanted to sit out on tours. Naturally, the smell/smoke always seemed to drift our way. This kept us from really being able to enjoy ourselves outside of the cabin.

We sail on Crystal alot and they forbid this. While I fully support the idea of a cigar bar and the cigar under the stars .. it just seems that allowing this on the vernandahs is a zero sum game - the cigar smoker wins - everyone else loses. Am I just being a pill?

harry

Live and let live. Because you don't like it they should stop? Is there anything they may not like about you that they find offensive? Just enjoy your cruise or as someone stated approach the person and express your feelings. If you haven't noticed it yet its their party and they will do what they want to, don't you do same? Surprised not really.

Not busting you just saying its what it is!

Chill out and enjoy:)

Wow, some of these pro-smoking responses sound pretty militant!

I wouldn't think that HAL (or ANY cruise line) would want to be on that side of the line drawn in the sand!:eek:

Actually, smokers have said that they're more than happy to work with militant non-smokers. Have you read the entire thread, Usha? :)

We have given up on booking balcony cabins because of the smoking issues (we are nonsmokers, I have asthma and use breathing machines, my dad and both of my husband's parents died of lung cancer). We could not enjoy our balcony because of the smoke outside, so we are saving lots of money by booking inside or outside cabins. We go up ondeck to the nonsmoking side when we want to enjoy fresh air.

Archived