Upsell Question

miro10

Here's a question for all experienced cruisers. I got an upsell on my last cruise

and jumped at the price without question. But should I have tried to negotiate

a lower price? I read on one of these threads that someone got a call for an upsell at $500.00 or something, they counter offered $300.00 and the agent accepted it. Is this standard practice? Should I have offered a lower price? I just want to know what to do if I get another call.

You can counter offer at a lower price if you are on the fence about taking the upsell. However, you could be turned down or someone else could take advantage of the upsell and the cabin being would no longer be available. It all depends on how many cabins are unsold and how close to sailing you are.

You can counter if you think it will be accepted. You can always start with a lower and then accept the higher one, but if the agent thinks you are going to accept the higher price anyway they may say no, if they are any good at it.

If they are having a hard time getting someone to take an upsell they may come down, but if you are the first one they have called on it, they may not feel any pressure.

Closer to sail date probably means more likely to deal.

The upsell agent has no ability to negotiate (per my PVP). If you give them a offer, they will say they need to talk to their supervisor or some such. Their supervisor can accept your offer, or approve it, but the guy you are talking to cant accept it..thats why they seem to say, let me get back to you, or let me ask (and they do). This is per my PVP who said she trained a upsell rep.

Archived