Cruise newbie question about Ecstasy booking

stressedmomof3

I have never been on a cruise and do not know anyone else who has been on a cruise. Hubby decided to surprise me after 12 years to pick a great vacation for just us without the kids- but put me in charge of booking . Do you book through Carnival's site or do most of you go through a travel agent?

I have found a great price out fo Galveston for April 12th on the Ecstasy that would work for my husband and I and the MIL that will watch our kiddos.

I know I have a lot of reading to do to be prepared- but just wondering if most of you book through Carnival's site or a travel agent as all I have ever booked before was Disney and I do that all myself through their website-lol:).

sometimes booking with an agent is better. Agents can discount...or give you freebies.

(terms of service do not allowed discussion of agents or agencies)

Do a search before you book- make sure you are comparing the whole price and not just a cruise price-- there are port taxes and government taxes to consider--make sure the price is the bottom line price.

Please beaware that on a cruise you are charged--10.00pp per day for tips/ -

You might want to wait another week for cruising-- April 12th will be the end of spring breaks-

Oh goodness did not realize that- thanks for the heads up on the spring breaks as I was just going by my childrens' scheduled spring breaks-again newbie mistake. Might try to have it for the April 26th then:)

being parent's you might be a little bit more tolerant of the kids that will be on board during Spring Break, so it's your call. However, as a parent myself, I am still not tolerant of it. LOL

I will also note that there was a severe difference between our february cruise on the conquest and our September cruise. More kids in February with less to keep them occupied. May have been a product of the new club O2??

We booked with a TA first time, but have booked directly with Carnival ever since. You'll be fine April 12th. Enjoy your cruise... we LOVED the Ecstasy, and that was before she went into drydock for all sorts of upgrades. Should be fabulous! And welcome to the addiction. Just wait...

thanks again- and just wondering- is there an all inclusive what you need to know for a

1st timer link on this board? like from which room is the best to book ( i know i want a balcony definately) to the best offshore excursions, how to book spa services,and what to bring?

thanks again- and just wondering- is there an all inclusive what you need to know for a

1st timer link on this board? like from which room is the best to book ( i know i want a balcony definately) to the best offshore excursions, how to book spa services,and what to bring?

Ecstasy is in dry dock now getting balconys. Last time I checked, you could only book a guarantee balcony, not select the one you wanted. We are thinking once Ecstasy is out of dry dock and the balconies are added, then you can select one.

If you booked ES there are lots of what ifs and butts, like no name changes, etc, but you can get any price drops up until you cruise. That being said, prices on Ecstasy and out of Galveston dont tend to drop much ... at any time.

Up until now you had to book a suite to get a balcony on Ecstasy, so the new balconies look like just what you want. I book thru Carnival so I can put in for rate drops by myself and if there is a better cabin, I can call up on a sunday and get it taken care of.. just easier to book direct, more control. If you book thru a TA then you have to go thru them for everything.

Just keep reading and reading and reading and asking questions. There are tons of threads about what to bring, rooms, etc. Go to the Ports of Call section, Caribbean, here on CC and you'll find lots of stuff about the ports. If you're going to Cozumel, may I suggest you check out Nachi Cocum... a fabulous all-inclusive, exclusive beach. There are many more beautiful beaches and other excursions, so check out the Ports of Call.

Also, you might see if there's a Roll Call going for your cruise in that section, and join in on that. Use the Search feature too, if you're looking for something specific (although there's a problem with posts after August or September something). Like I said, there's a TON of information here on CC, and so many wonderful people willing to help.

I have never been on a cruise and do not know anyone else who has been on a cruise. Hubby decided to surprise me after 12 years to pick a great vacation for just us without the kids- but put me in charge of booking . Do you book through Carnival's site or do most of you go through a travel agent?

I have found a great price out fo Galveston for April 12th on the Ecstasy that would work for my husband and I and the MIL that will watch our kiddos.

I know I have a lot of reading to do to be prepared- but just wondering if most of you book through Carnival's site or a travel agent as all I have ever booked before was Disney and I do that all myself through their website-lol:).

If you can find a group cruise you have to use there booking agent, but you usually get extra's too.

We usually always look for a Cruise Critic Official Group to get into, we always find it the best way to go.

Archived