Newport, RI and local questions can be asked here.

Rick02809

Good Day all:

I am offering my "expertise" on Rhode Island, particularly Newport. If you are planning a cruise to New England and plan on stopping in Newport, RI. Please leave a question here.

I have lived in RI my entire life [36 years] :), and having spent a good amount of time in Newport and the vicinity I am offering my help to fellow CC members. I want to do this because of all of the help that I have received from other CC members.

Currently I live in Bristol, RI a 15 minute drive to Newport. Bristol is known far and wide as the "Most Patriotic Town in the USA". So, please feel free to ask about tours, museums, shops and restaurants, watering holes, hangouts etc, etc. Hopefully I'll be able to pass the good deed along.

Welcome to Rhode Island, The Ocean State!:D

Hello and thanks for the generous offer!

I do have a question about our upcoming day in Newport. Since we will be visiting on a Sunday, I had to book the Roughpoint tour through Princess (Doris Duke's house is closed to the public on Sundays, but Princess has made arrangements for the tour). On previous visits we have seen The Breakers, Marble House, and Rosecliff.

My question - do you know if there is an entrance to the cliff walk near Roughpoint? I am hoping it is possible to leave the tour, and walk from Roughpoint to the Breakers. Which brings up a second question - do people walk both directions on the cliff walk?

Thanks for your help!

There are public access points at Bellevue Avenue, Ledge Road, Marine Avenue, Ruggles Avenue, Sheppard Avenue, Webster Street, and Narragansett Avenue.

You can leave Rough Point, walk straight (West) towards Ledge Rd. Turn Left onto Ledge , follow to the end. This is the closest point of entry to Cliff Walk, seeing that all of the mansions have a fence that blocks access to Clif Walk. The entire length of Cliffwalk from Bailey's Beach to Memorial Boulevard is approximately 3 1/2 miles. The area by Rough point is NOT PAVED, so wear good shoes and comfortable clothing, bring a jacket too.

If you miss your trip back to the ship, Bus 67 will bring you back to the Visitor's Center

http://www.ripta.com (Rhode Island Public Transportation Authority) at the Upper Left corner is a pull down menu Select 67 INBOUND. This will give you the bus map and schedule. The bus costs less than $2.00 per rider.

When are you going to be in Newport? This month there are quite a few festivals happening.

Hope that this helps!

Ahhh the Caribbean is calling me sailing on Liberty

I forgot to add that if you enter at Ledge Road you can walk North head behind Rough point and walk towards the Breakers... That is the 1st stop you can get the bus at ( #9 on the map by The Breakers). Cliffwalk is the black dotted line on the map.

Thank you so much for posting you're available to answer questions. We will be visiting Newport on Sunday, Nov. 1st. Since we have been to Newport before and did the mansions and town tour last time this trip we booked a private tour of Rose Island Lighthouse in the morning and then plan to do the Cliff Walk in the afternoon.

My questions are:

1. We are four people so would it be easier and about as expensive as the bus for us to take a taxi both ways to the Cliff Walk? If so, what's the best way to get one for our return trip? Can we just call or pre-schedule?

2. We don't want to walk on any of the stone or rough paths on Cliff Walk. Which entrance and exit would you suggest? We don't mind the path not being paved if it isn't too rough or uneven. Will we get to see any of the backsides of the mansions? How long should we plan for the walk?

Appreciate your help.:)

The Cab is quicker than a bus. Divided 4 ways it is probably less expensive, the trip is just over a mile from the Visitor's center.

If you take the cab have the driver drop you off at The Chanler at Cliff Walk or formerly known as CLIFF WALK MANOR 117 Memorial Boulevard. That is the START of Cliffwalk.

You can take the bus # 67 from the Newport Visitors Center #67 Bellevue to Rough Point. Get off at the intersection of Narragansett and Ocher Point (Salve Regina University) Follow Narragansett Ave to the water to "40 steps" take a right and go south (water will be on your left) you can walk to the Breakers or to Ledge Road which is where Rough point is. If you go to the Breakers, you can get RIPTA Bus # 67 or go to the end of the walk at Ledge Road... warning after the Breakers the road is unpaved and you will be walking over rocks. If you get to Ledge Road, you will have to walk up to Bellevue to get the bus again.

http://www.cliffwalk.com/360/360SouthMap.htm between Ledge road and Rough point is the most uneven part of the walk The entire walk is 3.5 miles long, depending on weather and foot traffic will determine your travel time.

If you are going to take a cab, google "Newport RI Cabs" and keep the list handy in the event that you need to get a quick ride back to the NVC.

Providing that you have the time for a nice meal, here are a few places to eat, Brick Alley Pub, Washington Square at Thames ST. http://www.brickalley.com

Oldest Saloon/Restaurant in RI The White Horse Tavern http://www.whitehorsetavern.us/index.htm

Fine Italian Dining Sardella's http://www.sardellas.com

This website will give you a lot of other ideas in case that Mother Nature is in a foul mood on 11-1 http://www.destinationnewport.com/index.asp

I have other postings in the New England category under Newport for more information, you can search by my screen name.

I hope that your stay in RI is enjoyable, I'll be boarding the Liberty of the Seas in Miami on 11-1.. Have a great vacation!

Thanks for all the websites and the information. I plan to check them out.

We originally planned to start at the beginning of Cliff Walk (Memorial Blvd. ) like you mentioned and continue until Ochre Point by the Breakers. Is this route all either paved or even dirt walkways? Approximately how long would it take walking at an even pace? Just would like a rough idea so I know how much time to plan.

Our second option was to start at Narragansett and walk to Ochre Point.

At that point are we better getting off at Ruggles or Sheppard Avenue? Are both good walkways?

Since we are four people we'll probably take a taxi there and then decide which way to return depending on time.

Have a great time on Liberty.:)

From Memorial Blvd to the Breakers is far and wide the best part of the walk. http://WWW.cliffwalk.com scroll to the bottom of the page to

"Salve Regina University/Breakers" that will give you more info than I can list, including pictures.

Ochre Point is at Narragansett AVe or 40 Steps. I would start at Memorial and walk to the Breakers, the bus passes right past the Breakers at regular intervals.

I would plan on 45 minutes to 1:15 at the most as a walking time from Memorial to the Breakers, that includes stopping for photos, watching the surf, etc

Thanks, that will give us plenty of time as we were planning on about an hour and a half before we head back. Glad to hear the walkway from Memorial to Breakers is not rough. Now I just have to hope the weather cooperates!

Can we purchase tickets at the door to these two mansions? Would we experience a long wait? Any ideas. The cruise line charges a lot more than the preservation society. We will be there a week from today.

mom8x asked: ......Can we purchase tickets at the door to these two mansions (The Breakers and Marble House)?.....

A: Yes, the mansions sell tickets at the door; they are also sold at the Newport Gateway Center which is located one block north of the tender dock along America's Cup Ave. You can also board the bus at the NGC to avoid the congestion along America's Cup Ave when a cruise ship is in town. The bus route number for the mansions is #67; schedule: http://www.ripta.com/schedules/schedules.php

mom8x also asked: ......Would we experience a long wait?

A: My guesstimate is 15 minutes wait; maybe more if there is another cruise ship visiting; maybe less for Marble House.

I'll be visiting Newport on 10/18; look for the moose ;).

SBtS

Yes, here is the link: http://tickets.newportmansions.org/

When is the cruise?

Tickets for the mansions are also sold at the Newport Visitor's Center which is located one block north from the tender dock on America's Cup Ave. http://www.gonewport.com/ViewContentPage.aspx?id=531

SBtS

• 1 month later...

Hi Rick,

We're not a cruise but we visit Newport every winter for a long weekend. We plan to be down there in a few weeks, and I would love to get any of your favorite restaurants. We seem to often go back to the same ones, and we are always looking for new ones. Our current favs are Scales and Shells, and that Italian place, I think it's Lucia's. For lunch we always go to the Red Parrot.

Do you have a favorite to reccomend?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Not Rick, but here are my favorites, in no particular order:

Red Parrot; Brick Alley Pub, Thames St; Moorings Restaurant; Landings Restaurant, Bowens Wharf; Yesterdays Restaurant, Washington Square; Flo’s Clam Shack at the east end of First Beach (or Eastons Beach) (Wave Ave, Middletown); and ice cream at the Newport Creamery opposite the Tennis Hall of Fame, Bellevue Ave.

Not Newport, but the best pizza :) in RI (IMHO) is from Caserta's Pizzeria, Spruce St, in the Federal Hill neighborhood of Providence.

SBtS

• 1 month later...

I've had 2 excellent chowders while visiting Newport.

One was from the Moorings Restaurant where I had the Native Scallop Chowder with a Bag of Doughnuts as a side.

The other from the Landings Restaurant where I had the Rhode Island Clam Chowder which is in a clear broth. New England Calm Chowder is also available.

The Landings is located just south from the tender dock at Bowens Wharf. Turn south on Amercia's Cup Ave after leaving the tender dock. Walk for about 5 minutes and Bowens Wharf is on the right.

The same directions are for the Moorings except walk for about 8 minutes. The Moorings faces Amercia's Cup Ave but set back from it. There is a parking lot in front.

For a meal, I would go to either one mentioned

Enjoy your cruise and Newport.

SBtS

Not to stray way off topic, but I am not sure where to post this question:

Is it quicker to drive to Providence from Newport or from Boston? I am not sure where the cruise ships dock/tender are located at either port, nor what the transportation choices would be; i.e. are there rental cars available in Newport? Any other other transportation suggestions you can think of would be appreciated.

Newport is closer to Providence than Boston, but the roads are probably better from Boston to Providence. Having said that, what are you thinking of doing in Providence and what day of the week? It will take time to rent a car in Boston and you have to be very careful with the traffic situation coming back to the city. There is also train and bus service to Providence. The trip itself would take an hour, but you'd have to allow at least double that.

The drive from Newport to Providence (about 34 miles) takes approx. 45 minutes except during rush hour traffic. Once you clear Newport center and get on the Newport bridge (Claiborne Pell Bridge), you'll be traveling on a 4 lane highway (some part limited access, some not). The problem will be with renting a car in Newport as rental agencies are not near the tender dock, but I would assume you could arrange a pick up with an agency. I would not arrange to be picked up at the tender dock area because the streets that bound it become filled with buses when there is a cruise ship visiting. A better place for pick up would be the Newport Visitors Center which is located one block north from the tender dock.

IIRC, there was a thread on this forum about renting in Newport. A search should find it.

Enjoy your cruise.

SBtS