Newport, RI and local questions can be asked here.

Rick02809

Where are the children & home in relation to Orient Point? Take the ferry from there to New London, CT https://www.longislandferry.com/Default.asp. New London to Newport is about 1H 15M.

Where are the children & home in relation to Port Jefferson? Take the ferry from there to Bridgeport, CT http://www.bpjferry.com/ . Bridgeport to Newport is about 2H 20M.

Provide the starting point for better estimates.

Where are you going to renew your vows?

BTW, Newport is a tender port.

SBtS

We will be in Newport one day ,May 17th. Not too interested in the Mansion tours,what else would you suggest seeing.The cliffwalk soiunds interesting. How would we get ther from the ship. How much time should we allow We like to see things on our own rather than ship excursions. Thanks

There was a question on Cliff Walk at the very beginning of this thread with the answers following. After looking back at all the posts, I would suggest start reading at the original question (post #1) and all the posts that follow to now. There are many suggestions beside CW on what to do contained in this thread.

Enjoy your cruise and Newport!

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...
Are you interested in Revolutionary (and before) dwellings, here's a list:

REDWOOD LIBRARY AND ATHENAEUM. (1748-50) 50 Bellevue Ave

FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE. (1699) 21 Farewell St

HUNTER HOUSE. (1748) 54 Washington St

NEWPORT CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH. (1860) Spring and Pelham Sts

OLD COLONY HOUSE. (1739) Washington Sq

OLD STONE MILL. Touro Park

SAMUEL WHITEHORNE HOUSE. 416 Thames St.

SEVENTH DAY BAPTIST MEETING HOUSE. (1729) 82 Touro St

St. MARY'S CHURCH. Spring St

TOURO SYNAGOGUE. (1763) 85 Touro St - the oldest Synagogue in America

TRINITY CHURCH. (1725-26) Queen Anne Sq., Spring and Church Sts

WANTON-LYMAN-HAZARD HOUSE. (1675) 17 Broadway near Washington Square.

WHITE HORSE TAVERN. (1673) corner of Marlborough and Farewell Sts

ABRAHAM RODRIGUES RIVERA HOUSE. Washington Square

SBtS

Thank you so much for the information you and op provided! I copied much of the Cliff Walk information and pre/post-Revolutionary War building information into a Word document so I can print it and take it with us for next month's cruise.

We hope to do some or all of the Cliff Walk, maybe visit a mansion if time permits, and walk around by the pre/post-Revolutionary War buildings. How close are the above buildings from the cruise dock, and how can we get there? Could we walk there?

AAAAmerican: Your ancestors sure have been here a long time! My dh's paternal side (puritans) came to Lynn, Masschusetts near Salem somewhere around 1624-1634 (possibly ship Frances from Ipswich) but left that area well before the Salem witch hunts. He is a direct descendent of one of the original English settlers of Long Island circa 1638. They were in Virginia (now W. Virginia) at time of Revolutionary War and fought in Yorktown (180+ fought in Revolutionary War but his direct paternal ancestor in Yorktown).

Kathy

All the buildings in that list are in walking distance from the tender dock. I believe the furthest from the tender dock is Redwood Library on Bellevue Ave which is about .6 miles from the dock. All the others are closer.

I would suggest using Google maps to pinpoint as many locations as you can before your cruise. If you use Americas Cup Ave Newport RI as your search, the map will center almost where the tender dock is. It is located at Perrotti Park, under the 's of America's on my Google map. If you hit "+" twice and drag the map so that America's Cup Ave is on the left border, you should see Turo Synagogue, Washington Square; pan up is the location of the White Horse Tavern; pan down twice is Trinity Church, Turo Park; etc, etc. You should have all the locations memorized before your cruise :D.

Enjoy your cruise and Newport.

SBtS

TourDeCruise

Maam,

it is wonderful and so very stimulating knowing what had been and now is, to me.

Thanks. Are you in DAR? Your husband in SAR?

It is wonderful you and your husband know so much and have the kin.

I am named after the inventor of Nylon there at DD :NYSE.

My mother was a Chief Chemist with him.

We are all luckily having documentations ..

As you well may know the marriages to Aboriginals was never allowed to be included in any documentation then.

So some of our history is lacking to say sorry to say. The marriages were never thought of as actual either.

EG: The Band/Tribes Monahan's are a perfect example even if some marriages took place and yes they did no record was allowed except for family bibles and personal journals..

But having the other documentation does great benefit.

EG: In the Revolution which was really like a civil war.. We had Dr. Campbell on the American Side and his Brother Gen. Campbell on the British Side who was in charge of all British forces in North America. The clan was.. yes was Campbell of Loudon. Yes there is still a Tartan which I even gave to the Tarntan official record keepers which are in the Province of Nova Scotia, Canada. Our original Clan is now defunct as per Gen. Campbell's loss of what is now America.

Also the Harvey. Lord mayor of Edinburgh, Scotland was John Harvey. Col. John Harvey in Virginia was Peter Jefferson Chief Executor and brought then put his son Thomas into the the School of Law at William and Mary ( Only Chartered Higher Educational Facility in America now.) Col. Harvey had a few sons and I am the girth of most of them now...

One of my Aunts who lived in CT always kidded us about the Mayflower ..she had 9 direct decendants..

The both Commonwealths of VA and MA we still have kin all over them..

Virginia has the oldest Mason, ever, who is my Great Uncle and he is a 33rd Degree.

One of my Great Uncle's in New England lived in Providence, R.I. he was the Grand Master there, he passed away a while ago.

On Yorktown here I will give you an important fact of where Ge. George Washington was..

Simple answer he was in New Jersey..

Longer one now..

http://www.ringwoodmanor.com

General Washington valued Ringwood for its iron products, Erskine's map-making defense agency and as a safe route through northern New Jersey. The military road was actually routed right through Ringwood, the half-way point from West Point to Morristown. General Washington was also at Ringwood on April 19, 1783, the very day that a cessation of hostilities was declared between American and Great Britain. This momentous day in history was 8 long years to the day from the first shots of the war fired on Lexington Green.

PS: I wish all the US States were as yours , the First State are in having that ruling about residents only paying Half of the Real Estate Taxation if over 65 Years of AGE.

Thank you so much for the information you and op provided! I copied much of the Cliff Walk information and pre/post-Revolutionary War building information into a Word document so I can print it and take it with us for next month's cruise.

We hope to do some or all of the Cliff Walk, maybe visit a mansion if time permits, and walk around by the pre/post-Revolutionary War buildings. How close are the above buildings from the cruise dock, and how can we get there? Could we walk there?

AAAAmerican: Your ancestors sure have been here a long time! My dh's paternal side (puritans) came to Lynn, Masschusetts near Salem somewhere around 1624-1634 (possibly ship Frances from Ipswich) but left that area well before the Salem witch hunts. He is a direct descendent of one of the original English settlers of Long Island circa 1638. They were in Virginia (now W. Virginia) at time of Revolutionary War and fought in Yorktown (180+ fought in Revolutionary War but his direct paternal ancestor in Yorktown).

Kathy

Edited by AAAAmerican

Thank you, SBtS. It is good to know we can get there quickly. We can walk any number of miles and usually aim for an average of around 10-12 miles per day on a port day, so hopefully we can cover both the Cliff Walk (at least the part you said for 45 min. to 1 hr. 15 min.) and the historic area.

AAAAmerican: No, my dh is not a member of SAR. He wasn't interested in joining although he certainly qualifies with all the documentation (confirmed by DNA testing too) through his research, DAR book(s), and professional geneaologist. I don't think I qualify for DAR unless through marriage as my family has only been here since 1800s. He is interested in the geneaology though and continues to research the details when new information becomes available. Problem is we don't know from where in England his family came as there is no available documentation and inadequate DNA testing done in England (originally thought possibly Scotland but appears to be most likely England) and we don't know which ship as two different ships (I think 1624 & 1634) show manifests with the same name of the original ancestor that came to Massachusetts Bay. They had to have been here long enough to live in the Massachusetts Bay area for awhile and to settle in New York (Long Island) by 1638. Are you saying George Washington was never in Yorktown? We anticipated that his ancestor had the chance to see GW at the end of the war. His maternal side may be pre-Revolutionary too but only is traced back to late 1790s in PA.

Kathy

• 2 weeks later...

We are going to be in Newport on a Norwegion cruise Sunday Sept,12 2010. My question is. We would like to do the Breakers & some of the cliff walk. Would it be better to do the cliff walk first or the Breakers ? We will probably take a cab out & bus back. Where do we want the cab to let us off & where would we be able to catch the bus back to the tender ? :)

For stop locations and the schedule for Bus Route 67, look at the RIPTA web site. The cab will leave you off in front of The Breakers if you ask him to. Having been to The Breakers, I would recommend doing this first. You don't want to do this already tired from walking Cliffwalk. There is already a lot of info on CC regarding how to access Cliffwalk from the mansions. You can do a search on it.

I agree with the order member travelbig suggested. Depending on which direction you walk when starting on CW, then the location of a bus stop to get you back to the tender dock will be different.

If you were to walk in either direction (north or south) on CW and then retraced your steps to where you started, then you could pick up a return bus in front of the Breakers.

If you walked north to the start of CW on Memorial Blvd, you would have to walk west on Memorial Blvd for about .6 miles to reach Bellevue Ave to catch a bus.

If you walked south on CW, you would exit at Marine Ave and walk to Bellevue Ave and catch a bus there.

Here is the link for the RIPTA schedule for route #67 inbound: http://www.ripta.com/schedules/view.php

There are frequent stops along Bellevue Ave. Marine Ave is not shown on the transit map; and if it were, it would be just to the right of Rosecliff Mansion. BTW, that map is not to scale

Here are the links for CW:

http://www.cliffwalk.com/

http://www.cliffwalk.com/sect1.htm

SBtS

You can't enter CW directly from any of the mansions. You exit the mansion and find a side street that has an entrance/exit to CW. If you leave the Breakers and turned south (left) and walked to Ruggles Ave (south border of the Breakers) and turned east (left), you would come to an an entrance/exit to CW at the east end of Ruggles.

If I were doing it, I would turn south and walk south as far as I could until the walkway deteriorates (and it does) even if it means retracing my steps to the exit at Marine Ave. Take a look at the pictures here: http://www.cliffwalk.com/sect6.htm for how bad CW becomes the further south you go.

I just reread your question, and the easiest walk would be north :D.

SBtS

• 3 weeks later...

DH and I will be in Newport for one day of our cruise. We plan on taking the #67 bus and seeing the breakers on our own. We also thought the cliff walk sounded beautiful; however, due to some health concerns, I know we won't be able to walk the entire way. Is there an exit point along the way?

If you read the second sentence in my post #89, I believe your post is #90, there are directions on how to get from the Breakers to Cliff Walk there. My suggestion for you would be to turn north once you reach CW. As you walk the mansions will be on your left hand, the water on your right.

If you go to the map of CW here: http://www.cliffwalk.com/mapnorth.htm . Find reference square 8 and 9, which are Ruggles Ave and the Breakers, on the lower left of the screen. The streets going from left to right, Sheppard, Webster and Narragansett, are all exits from CW; you could also exit thru the campus of Salve Regina College, I believe it is now Salve Regina University.

All the streets listed above intersect with Ochre Point Rd which is on the bus #67 route.

Enjoy your cruise and Newport.

SBtS

p18750 asked: ....From the tender dock can I just walk to the Newport Transportation Center and catch a bus to the Breakers and/or the end of the Cliff Walk?...

Yes, walk directly from the tender dock to the street (America's Cup Ave) and turn north (for the directionally challenged, turn left) and walk one block to the NTC. Board a route #67 bus and exit the bus in front of the Breakers.

The directions to go from the Breakers to CW would be found in this thread in post #89 and more in #91, both posted by me.

Unless your visit is during the summer, no bus directly provides service to CW. In the summer, there is a bus route to Newport beaches that goes by the start of CW. Other seasons, a bus route #67 will get you close to CW. In my post #91, I've identified streets that are entries to or exit from CW, which are included on the route of the #67 bus.

SBtS

Do you think it would be possible to visit The Breakers AND Marble House or Elms (maybe grab a sandwhich at the cafe') AND walk a bit on Cliff Walk AND visit at least one of the revolutionary-era buildings like Wanton-Lyman-Hazard House?

I'm finding so much awesome stuff to visit, and I only have just the one day in port!

Lisa

We already made our plans (thanks to this thread), and will be taking bus #67 to the breakers and them doing a small portin of the cliff walks to the college or the next street after the college. Could you tell me if any any of the historic sites listed in the above posts are near where we will be heading to Ochre Point Rd. ?

I don't see any problem with visiting 2 mansions and including a short walk on CW. Since the revolutionary era buildings are all within walking distance of the tender dock, save that for last and do it if there is time.

when you wrote grab a sandwhich at the cafe, what cafe are you referring to?

You know that Newport is a tender port and when are you visiting?

SBtS

We were in Newport in May with HAL. We profoundly thank the Newport-area residents on this board for all their valuable information which helped us map out our 1/2 day. Unfortunately, we didn't arrive until noon and it took until almost 2:00pm to get the tender and to tender over to shore. So we only had several hours before we had to head back to the ship for dinner. We walked around 12 miles in heavy rain and saw most or all of the Revolutionary-War era buildings specified in one of the posts.

To help us prepare for future cruises (we want to repeat a similar itinerary), how far are the mansions, such as the Breakers, from the Kingscote Mansion and Naval Academy? We saw signs on the walk out of town for the mansions but didn't know how far they were and preferred to continue our trek around the older historic area. We are thinking we can walk to them but wanted to check with the knowledgable people. We are up for 15+ miles of walking (can walk more) for a day with better weather and as long as the walk is pleasant, the latter of which appears to be the case.

Also, when do your fall colors typically start and end and when typically is the peak fall color?

Kathy

Edited by TourDeCruise
fall colors, typos

TourDeCruise asked: ....how far are the mansions, such as the Breakers, from the Kingscote Mansion and Naval Academy?...

I didn't know that the Naval Academy had moved from Annapolis to Newport :D. I know there already is United States Naval War College, the Naval Undersea Warfare Center, and a Navy training center, and now the Academy. WoW :rolleyes:!!!

Kingscote is located at 253 Bellevue Ave, the Elms, 367 Bellevue; Rosecliff, 548 Bellevue; Marble House, 596 Bellevue; and the Breakers, 44 Ochre Point Ave. Distances from Kingscote, about .1 mile, about 1.0 miles, about 1.5 miles, and about 1.3 miles, respectively.

You should find all the mansions included here: http://www.newportmansions.org/

Peak color for Newport or New England? Use this interactive fall foliage map provided by Yankee Magazine to better understand how peak foliage sweeps across New England. http://www.yankeefoliage.com/peakmap/ . It is a moving target.

Has a port-of-call on any cruise been Bar Harbor, Maine? With your walking and the carriage roads & hiking trails in Acadia National Park, you are made for each other.

SBtS

Thanks very much for your information. I assure you the Annapolis Naval Academy has not relocated. ;) It is only around 1.5 hours drive from our house at the most. I'll have to wait until I look at my video to see what historic "Naval" building I was talking about, but it was close to Kingscote and the Old Mill Park (which might not be the "real" name of the park, just what I am calling the park).

The mansions would be an easy walk for us. We really enjoyed the Newport historic area.

Yes, our just completed cruise and the cruise we are looking at for next year both included/include Bar Harbor. A few years ago we hiked/climbed Cadillac Mountain in Bar Harbor. I was recovering from tendonitis this year, and although I could walk 8-15 miles each day, I would have had problems climbing trails in Bar Harbor on this past cruise. I did make it up and down Quebec City's streets without using the funicular, so the tendonitis improved quite a bit during the cruise. I could have negotiated flat trails in Bar Harbor, but we just opted to walk around Bar Harbor this time.

Thanks again for your information.

Kathy

I don't see any problem with visiting 2 mansions and including a short walk on CW. Since the revolutionary era buildings are all within walking distance of the tender dock, save that for last and do it if there is time.

when you wrote grab a sandwhich at the cafe, what cafe are you referring to?

You know that Newport is a tender port and when are you visiting?

SBtS

Sailbad,

I thought that The Elms had a cafe on-site. One of the tickets on the newport mansions site included lunch. I asssumed that meant that you could walk in and eat, as well.

I always have a hard time picking just ONE place to visit! And, the adding of a 2nd mansion for only $5 more makes me feel that I can't pass up the bargain! LOL

I'll show DH and see if he'd like to visit one or 2 mansions, and will show him pics of the revolutionary places...(he's usually not into research or planning for trips). The pressure is on for me to book things that we both would like to do! This is his first cruise, and I REALLY want him to like it.

Yes, I know that Newport is tender and we'll be there on June 21st on the Summit. Is the tender service here pretty good? The only time I've tendered before was in Belize aboard NCL Spirit - it wasn't a good experience, as we arrived late the excursion I had booked left without us. I'm hoping for no issues this time!

Lisa