Newport, RI and local questions can be asked here.

Rick02809

We will be in Bar Harbor on the same day as you and I specifically called Olli's Trolley to inquire about the cancellation policy if we miss the port. Turns out that when you pre-reserve your tickets they don't take any payment from you. You have to wait in line when you get there and pick up your tickets and they take payment at that time. Long story short - book it - you have nothing to lose ;)

Thanks for the info. I actually e-mailed them yesterday and found that out. We went ahead and booked the tour. Hopefully, our weather will be good and everything will work out. Have a great trip!

Cliff Walk is accessbile with a stroller; however, there are stairs in a couple of location, generally, about 5 - 7 steps. CW is paved for the northern two thirds.

CW links:

http://www.cliffwalk.com/

http://www.cliffwalk.com/sect1.htm

I would suggest taking the bus (route #67) and getting off at the stop closest to the intersection of Narragansett Ave and Ochre Point Rd. Walking east on Narragansett Ave will give you an entry point onto CW. Turn south (right) on CW and walk to Marine Ave. You can exit there and then walk west on Marine Ave to Bellevue Ave where you can pick up an inbound #67 bus. This part of CW will provide a view of the back of the Breakers.

There are exits before Marine Ave. Just walk west from any exit you take to Bellevue Ave or Ochre Point Rd to catch an inbound bus.

At this link http://www.ripta.com/schedules/schedules.php , select route #67 outbound (from dropdown box) for the bus schedule and a basic route map.

To get a bus, walk one block north from the tender dock to the Newport Visitor's Center. Taxis are also available there.

SBtS

Can anyone tell us how to get to Coastal Extreme Brewing? It looks like we can take the bus, but not sure how far it is from the bus stop.

Also would love to hear from anyone who has been there.

Thanks!

You can get to Coastal Extreme Brewing by taking bus #63 outbound and inbound. The bus stop is less than .2 miles from the brewery. The buses run about every 30 minutes weekdays. You can get the schedule here http://www.ripta.com/schedules/view.php from the dropdown box on left.

You would board the bus at the Newport Visitor's Center which is located one block north from the tender dock.

I was at the Coastal Extreme Brewing a few years ago for the food; I was the DD. Nothing special here; but if you been in one brew pub, then you been in this one, JMHO.

I can think of a lot better ways to spend your time while in Newport.

SBtS

Edited by SailBadtheSinner
spelling

Thanks for the brewery info.

We are trying to visit a brewery in every port...silly yes. Fun YES.

We will also be visiting a couple of the mansions earlier in the day, so no worries about not doing something else more engaging.

Thanks for the brewery info.

We are trying to visit a brewery in every port...silly yes. Fun YES.

We will also be visiting a couple of the mansions earlier in the day, so no worries about not doing something else more engaging.

If your in Boston there is a brewery called Harpoon which is walking distance to the black falcon cruise terminal (and not much else is) check their website we just missed the tour, but they let us join in for some free tasting and we arrive happily back at the ship.

Also visited Shipyard in Portland, and Alexandar Keith's in Halifax (cute costume tour there), we took the Historic Pub Tour one year in Halifax via the cruise ship and it was great fun!

Thanks CNN. We are going to Harpoon Brewery before we get back on board in Boston, and we are also going to Sam Adams Brewery in Boston.

Alexander Keith's is also on the list in Halifax.

Now...just need to find one in Bar Harbor and one in Saint John...

dvann wrote: ....just need to find one (brewery) in Bar Harbor....

There are 3 micro breweries located on MDI:

Bar Harbor Brewing Company - http://www.barharborbrewing.com/

Atlantic Brewing Company - http://www.atlanticbrewing.com/

Maine Coast Brewing Company - http://www.bhmaine.com/

The Bar Harbor Brewing Company is the only one within walking distance from the BH town dock. It is located on the west side of the BH Village Green.

The other 2 would require a taxi; they are both located in the same direction from BH. With a little prior planning, you could hit all three :D.

SBtS

There is a wifi hotspot at the Panera Bread restaurant which is just north east across the avenue from the tender dock. PB serves bakery & pastries, soups & sandwiches. I consider the food there to be very good. There is another wifi hotspot at the Newport Public Library on Spring St. which is further away but still walking distance. Also, there is free free wifi at the Starbuck's (coffee shop) which is located on Thames St corner of Church St. Just head due east from the tender dock and look east for a white church steeple and head for it.

Enjoy your visit to Newport.

SBtS

We were on the Carribean Princess last week. It's a tender port. The tenders load/unload close to the Harbor Master building.

thank you so much! I jsut wanted to get my bearings since we are going to do this port by ourselves, no ship tour.

How did you enjoy the cruise? We leave on Saturday....gettting excited!! :D

Lisa,

You'll do fine exploring Newport on your own,. We did it in May. As you come off the tender, there's the Visitor's Bureau to the right. Newport's a walking town, but you'll need to arrange transportation to get to the mansions.

Have fun!

Anita

Our trip was fantastic. We did the 7 day Historic America land tour before the cruise. I would highly recommend doing both the land and cruise. The land tour did involve getting on and off the motorcoach quite often but it's amazing how much history we saw. We loved the cruise ports as well. We arrived in Newport about 8:15. Be aware that nothing really opens up until 9 on Sunday's. We waited at the Visitor's Center until 9 and then decided to buy tickets for the Trolley and Breakers. I'm hoping to get a review written but haven't had a chance yet.

LisaroseNY asked: ...HI! Can someone tell me on this map where exactly our cruise ship will dock (in Newport) on Sunday 10/17/10?...

Since Newport is a tender port, the tender dock is located on the water side of Perrotti Park, also called the Marine Terminal on the map. In other words, the tender dock is located at the southwest corner of the intersection of America's Cup Ave and Long Wharf.

SBtS

if you are in Newport on either 10/16 or 10/17, be sure to leave time for the 20th annual Seafood Fest at Bowen's Wharf. There will be seafood from local restaurants, live music, face painting and fun for kids etc etc. There is no entry fee and will be held rain or shine.

To get to Bowen's Wharf, walk due east from the tender dock until the first street (America's Cup Ave), turn south (right) and follow the sidewalk until you see Bowen's Wharf on your right, distance of about .2 miles.

I'll be there, but to avoid the crowd from the cruise ship, I think I'll go on 10/16; but, Sunday's weather is suppose to be the best of the W/E. I go for the excellent chowders, RI clam cakes and RI stuffed quahogs :D. But after writing this, I may have to go both days ;)!

SBtS

who is already salivating

Hey SB&S, I will probably be at the Seafood Fest, but not arriving by ship but by car as I live in Bristol :)

Several years back I took a couple of years hiatus from the nursing profession and worked for the Preservation Society as a tour guide at the Breakers and Marble House, as well as worked briefly as a Newport city guide for Viking Tours, then worked my way to being a tour director for Collette and must say you are darn good online tour guide :)

I can't add much to what you have shared about Newport other than once you have made a visit there you will want to return because there is so much to see and do.

Yes SB&S Nightengale is for Florence.

Gosh the way you know your way around Newport I thought you were a native :) I was actually born in Newport at the former Navy Hospital as my Dad was career Navy and met my Mom who was from Bristol at one of those long gone Thames Street bars. One of my fondest childhood memories was seeing all the ships decorated for Christmas, and there were many of them in port back in the early 60s.

All the buildings in that list are in walking distance from the tender dock. I believe the furthest from the tender dock is Redwood Library on Bellevue Ave which is about .6 miles from the dock. All the others are closer.

I would suggest using Google maps to pinpoint as many locations as you can before your cruise. If you use Americas Cup Ave Newport RI as your search, the map will center almost where the tender dock is. It is located at Perrotti Park, under the 's of America's on my Google map. If you hit "+" twice and drag the map so that America's Cup Ave is on the left border, you should see Turo Synagogue, Washington Square; pan up is the location of the White Horse Tavern; pan down twice is Trinity Church, Turo Park; etc, etc. You should have all the locations memorized before your cruise :D.

Enjoy your cruise and Newport.

SBtS

Thanks for all your valuable advise and time doing this. Didn't have to ask...just looked! Wanted to know where the tender dock was...thanks!

• 2 months later...
Good Day all:

I am offering my "expertise" on Rhode Island, particularly Newport. If you are planning a cruise to New England and plan on stopping in Newport, RI. Please leave a question here.

I have lived in RI my entire life [36 years] :), and having spent a good amount of time in Newport and the vicinity I am offering my help to fellow CC members. I want to do this because of all of the help that I have received from other CC members.

Currently I live in Bristol, RI a 15 minute drive to Newport. Bristol is known far and wide as the "Most Patriotic Town in the USA". So, please feel free to ask about tours, museums, shops and restaurants, watering holes, hangouts etc, etc. Hopefully I'll be able to pass the good deed along.

Welcome to Rhode Island, The Ocean State!:D

Hi...

We will be in Newport on the June 21st for the 1st time. There appears to be so many things to see & do. In your opinion, what would you recommend for 1st timers? Thx

Does the ship dock near the town where one could walk to various attractions? Is it best to take a ship's shore excursion to the mansions or go on your own? Never been there, so your help is most appreciated. We want to use our time from 8 to 5 to see the most we can without getting lost.