Afraid to meet & mingle ?

Ashland

What are your thoughts ? Have some taken the CRITIC in cruise critic way overboard ? Thought this board was looking for personal views and experiences. Do we need to file a DISCLAIMER with every post ? Hope this anger will be left on shore, at this point I'm having second thoughts with the Meet & Mingle in the middle of the ocean :eek: Am I alone in this lifeboat or is anyone else on board :confused: And if I have posted this in the wrong area I'm sure I'll be set STRAIGHT ;)

It's nice to meet some of the people you chat with online at a M & M. If you are finding that some aren't your choice of friends, simply move on, or leave the party.

I once didn't attend an M & M because I witnessed the behavior of a very vocal CC'r on the roll call ahead of time in line at the Guest Relations desk and in another area of the ship with a cabin attendant. I had no idea who she was beforehand, but noticed her screen name was on a personal item she was carrying. She was rude, belligerant (SP?), demanding and condescending towards the staff and I didn't want her recognizing me onboard, it was a 13 night cruise.

My regret was that after the cruise I found out she also had not attended and I missed meeting some of the others in the roll call. My loss :(

I wouldn't care. If I end up cruising in January with some of the chaps that seem to hate me due to my casual night jeans affinity, or think I'm a pompous ditz (Heehee:p) I'll probably bring a toy shield and paint 'flame shield' on it and be sure to hide behind it when we meet!:D

Life is too short to worry so much about little things like this, I think. And I have a suspicion that the people that are OUTRAGEOUS and rude on this board probably wouldn't show up! Deep down they know they are being outrageous and stirring the pot - they're embarrased, I'm sure!:)

I wouldn't care. If I end up cruising in January with some of the chaps that seem to hate me due to my casual night jeans affinity, or think I'm a pompous ditz (Heehee:p) I'll probably bring a toy shield and paint 'flame shield' on it and be sure to hide behind it when we meet!:D

Life is too short to worry so much about little things like this, I think. And I have a suspicion that the people that are OUTRAGEOUS and rude on this board probably wouldn't show up! Deep down they know they are being outrageous and stirring the pot - they're embarrased, I'm sure!:)

Hey....what's wrong with being a pompous ditz? Are we going to start in on pompous ditzs now? What would the world be like without pompous ditzs? LOL!

Colleen

we are all kinds.... CC'ers are an... well.. an odd bunch... truly and not in a negative or demeaning sense... most people don't get this "into" cruising, the way an avg CC'er can.. they don;t know the sqr footage of the best cabins... they haven;t spent days drooling and dreaming like we , err I mean like the avg CC'er does.... we have a reputation out there that isn't all that spotless due to the very few who use the CC badge as a way to threaten and bludgeon their way through a vacation.. more pity on them as they miss the real opportunity to let go and release the tension, but for them life doesn;t work that way... sigh....

So not only are we avid and rabid about what we do, we are also people of all sorts and frankly there are bound to be conflicts of interest etc, but as one person sorta said, never let someone else's attitude or bad day enter your sphere of bliss, for they can only affect you if you let them....

Go to the M&M, ignore the bore and party with the hearty!

When i found CC in '99 , the best advice I got and it still is valid... Do not let anyone ruin your vacation. You have paid too much and deserve this time to rejuvinate yourself. If you find yourself sitting next to a person that is in anyway unfavorable, get up and find a new spot. The ships are just too massive to not find a better place. Take control by changing your space. Yes you were there first, and now this obnoxious group is there doing those obnoxious things that irritate you, but are you going to change it by getting upset? NO, so move... create your own sense of Ahhhhhhh by taking control of the time and space you are in. Ask for a new dining table, move your seat in the theater. Eat at off hours to avoid the crush. Oreder room breakfast for 6:30 and be happy that you knew you really wanted it sometime before 7.... attitude people... lol :D

Hey....what's wrong with being a pompous ditz? Are we going to start in on pompous ditzs now? What would the world be like without pompous ditzs? LOL!

Colleen

Thank you Colleen! I lauged so hard - out loud- at my desk the morning that I read that about me! I doubt that was what the poster that wrote it was hoping for but I found it hilarious!

Yes, we need more pompous ditzs in this world!

This is gonna be great!!!:D Ashland-You're for sure one of those folks that seem like you would be alot of fun to run into while on vacation!

On that note-please notice I used the word fun. I cann't belive the way some posters post-they actually would behave like this live in person. Crap-we're on vacation-smile.

I cann't believe people actually look around them wondering how those people over there will tip. Wishing that guy over at that table would stand up because I think he may ruin my dinner if he has jeans on. Howling because that guy-in the smoking section, that is smoking is making my allergies become inflamed-god-I hope he's not in the balcony next to mine. Hey-I think those 2 are sharing a soda card-securty. Anybody see that kid heading towards the pool-bet she's gonna take a whiz in it. Hey-watch that bit%^ over there-she's gonna cut the buffet line-lets all block her.

Good lord-if this went on too much-no one would cruise.

This is my second roll call I've signed up for and both have had real nice folks. A good roll call should not call you out on your certain 'opinions'. Get to know the person-that you may really like and oh boy-find out later you liked someone that smoked!! lol Seriously-roll calls are a small part of the very many people you can meet and enjoy shared company with.

I'd let you in my lifeboat!!! LOL :cool:

What are your thoughts ? Have some taken the CRITIC in cruise critic way overboard ? Thought this board was looking for personal views and experiences. Do we need to file a DISCLAIMER with every post ? Hope this anger will be left on shore, at this point I'm having second thoughts with the Meet & Mingle in the middle of the ocean :eek: Am I alone in this lifeboat or is anyone else on board :confused: And if I have posted this in the wrong area I'm sure I'll be set STRAIGHT ;)

Actually I met someone on a meet and mingle board and his and my families became friends and now cruise together every summer. Our M&M group didn't make the 25 minimum for an official M&M, so we just met on board first night and have been good friends ever since.

On our Alaska cruise a few years back we were having a drink in the schooner bar right after muster drill and struck up a conversation with another couple and after talking awhile realized we had been conversing on the same M&M thread on cruise critic. We had a lot of fun with them on that cruise!

It is what it is and it is not necessarily dependent on what others do or say but more on what you make of it.

Colleen

I have gone to all of the M&M's except for 1 time. I have made wonderful friends through Cruise Critic and then solidified those friendships by meeting in person, going on excursions together, etc.

I really feel Cruise Critic and the M&M's have added a great deal of pleasure to my cruising experiences.

But to answer what I think your questions are implying:

It seems someone must have overstepped their priviledge to post and they were critical of you. That happens on all boards, at times. Sometimes you will note it is the same person (over and over and over) who is rude, condescending, mean-spirited, etc. Those people are definitely in the minority. Most CC members are lovely people who share a common interest with you - cruising and a specific itinerary. Keep smiling. :)

I don't think you need to file a 'disclaimer' when you post. Be ready to defend your point of view, at times, though. I've been the vicitim of a few posters, myself. It really gets me angry but I sign off and wait a day or two and then come back and move forward. Every now and then you are going to run into a jacka$$ who believes they can hide behind the keyboard and get away with whatever they want. In the end, those are the people who have no friends, have very lonely lives, and depend on message boards to keep them boosted up.You know, some people just cannot resist burning out your candle so theirs will shine brighter.I only feel pity for them.

Go to your M&M and put a big smile on your face. Turn your back on anyone who wants to take that smile away from you. :) Have a fantastic cruise!

Most of our meet and mingles have had so many participants that it wouldn't have been difficult to avoid or ignore any less than pleasant folks, and a vast majority of the people we have corresponded with on Roll Calls and subsequently met at onboard sailaways or official meet and mingles have been wonderful. Many of them we have sailed with more than once and just knowing that they will be on an upcoming cruise with us makes it an event to be looked forward to with even more enthusiasm. I certainly wouldn't let one individual keep me from enjoying my cruise or the opportunity to meet other cruise critic posters. :)

Most of our meet and mingles have had so many participants that it wouldn't have been difficult to avoid or ignore any less than pleasant folks, and a vast majority of the people we have corresponded with on Roll Calls and subsequently met at onboard sailaways or official meet and mingles have been wonderful. Many of them we have sailed with more than once and just knowing that they will be on an upcoming cruise with us makes it an event to be looked forward to with even more enthusiasm. I certainly wouldn't let one individual keep me from enjoying my cruise or the opportunity to meet other cruise critic posters. :)

Bill, I echo everything you said! :D

Bill, I echo everything you said! :D

Hi MavisMarie. Long time no see. Hope your upcoming Transatlantic is as enjoyable as our recent one on the Jewel was, and the one we shared a few years back.:) We leave Boston for the Caribbean on Jewel of the Seas in only a few weeks from now and can hardly wait.:)

We've had mixed experience with M&Ms. Once we had a fantastic group and there were a lot of great events. But other times we've either had nothing in common with anyone else, or the group is so quiet that we won't stay. We've never encountered anyone who was awful at an M&M.

Ashland --- I don't know what you're upset about and am not going to take the time to read back through your posts --- but honestly, I've found that there are a lot of nasty, angry people on every message board - not just cruise related. I think we've all got a bit of cranky in us (oooh boy - I know I do!). Yes, there are people who are downright horrible, but you know they would never have the guts to be that rude in person. Just give them a pass. Most of us are pretty darned civil. ;)

At times I have been to cantankerous on the board, more than once I have told people that there views are out of line . The problem lies that at home in front of the computer I have way to much free time.

The only people who I would have a problem with on a cruise if I met them are:

chair hogs

rude people

adults

children

people who get in my way

people who like fox news

people who like msnbc

people who voted for G.W. Bush

People who voted for Obama

people who watch Rush, Glen Beck, and O'Rielley

people who watch Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow

people who love carnival and hate RCI

people who love RCI and hate carnival

Parents who take there kids in adults areas

kids that take there parents into kids areas

people who hate anytime dining and love set dining time

people who hate set dining and love anytime dining.

OK i think I am done and if i did not include you, to bad:D

This is gonna be great!!!:D Ashland-You're for sure one of those folks that seem like you would be alot of fun to run into while on vacation!

On that note-please notice I used the word fun. I cann't belive the way some posters post-they actually would behave like this live in person. Crap-we're on vacation-smile.

I cann't believe people actually look around them wondering how those people over there will tip. Wishing that guy over at that table would stand up because I think he may ruin my dinner if he has jeans on. Howling because that guy-in the smoking section, that is smoking is making my allergies become inflamed-god-I hope he's not in the balcony next to mine. Hey-I think those 2 are sharing a soda card-securty. Anybody see that kid heading towards the pool-bet she's gonna take a whiz in it. Hey-watch that bit%^ over there-she's gonna cut the buffet line-lets all block her.

Good lord-if this went on too much-no one would cruise.

This is my second roll call I've signed up for and both have had real nice folks. A good roll call should not call you out on your certain 'opinions'. Get to know the person-that you may really like and oh boy-find out later you liked someone that smoked!! lol Seriously-roll calls are a small part of the very many people you can meet and enjoy shared company with.

I'd let you in my lifeboat!!! LOL :cool:

Thanks Debde, Not new, am a Diamond C&A but new to this board. And have ENJOYED every cruise we've been on. We enjoy the good and the bad and sometimes have found the bad to be the most amusing, love to people watch :rolleyes:. Next up INDY 8 night Eastern Caribbean Mar 20, 2010 then JOS Baltics Aug 11, 2010. Any suggestions on what should be next ?

At times I have been to cantankerous on the board, more than once I have told people that there views are out of line . The problem lies that at home in front of the computer I have way to much free time.

chair hogs

rude people

adults

children

people who get in my way

people who like fox news

people who like msnbc

Love your honesty TahoeBob, I think I may be married to you. LOL:rolleyes:

As usual you are spot on!I must confess to stirirng the pot ,i find if you tweak people the heat is turned up and the responses are more passionate pro and con.

As for being rude and speaking down to people they are just trying to look special because even they know they are not.

By the way what ship in January?

Actually I met someone on a meet and mingle board and his and my families became friends and now cruise together every summer. Our M&M group didn't make the 25 minimum for an official M&M, so we just met on board first night and have been good friends ever since.

On our Alaska cruise a few years back we were having a drink in the schooner bar right after muster drill and struck up a conversation with another couple and after talking awhile realized we had been conversing on the same M&M thread on cruise critic. We had a lot of fun with them on that cruise!

It is what it is and it is not necessarily dependent on what others do or say but more on what you make of it.

Colleen

Did we even have a Meet & Mingle on that Alaska cruise Colleen? :D I don't really remember one. I certainly do remember how much fun we had with you and Doug! Bill still talks about how much fun he had learning to play craps, and the disco and all over. We are really, really glad we met you both.

~Patt & Bill :)

chair hogs

rude people

adults

children

people who get in my way

people who like fox news

people who like msnbc

WOW! I think your hallucinating or something! Look around and ask the first person you meet to kick you in the butt........:D That should rattle your cage and get you back on earth........:rolleyes:

Have a nice day,

Al :p

As usual you are spot on!I must confess to stirirng the pot ,i find if you tweak people the heat is turned up and the responses are more passionate pro and con.

As for being rude and speaking down to people they are just trying to look special because even they know they are not.

By the way what ship in January?

Hi cruisebunnies! I'm going on FOS Jan. 3rd. What have you got planned??:)

I have met so many wonderful CCers onboard, not just on this RCCL board but on the other CC cruiseline boards. I still talk to many of them. Never had a bad experience.

Some of the fun comes from trying to pick out the CCers who DIDN'T want to meet with us. You know, the people that come and talk on the roll call but never show up at the M&M. We try to guess who they are while we are on the ship. :D

But no, no bad experience. Only good ones and some lifelong friends in real life. :D

Archived