Could this possibly impact YOUR cruise???

greatam

From one of my logistics publications (I can't post the link-you get the whole newsletter). Credit to Seatrade Communications, Limited.

Singapore: Cruise ships to pay extra dockage charges

Friday, 09 October 2009 14:14

"Cruise ships docking at Singapore's PSA container terminal when the Singapore Cruise Centre's (SCC) two berths are fully utilised will have to pay extra dockage charges this coming cruise season.

On occasion where there is a bunching of ships, especially during the peak season from October to April, cruise ships are diverted by SCC to PSA. Up to now the extra fees were absorbed by SCC.

At a press conference called by the Singapore Shipping Association (SSA) this evening, cruise line agents voiced their concerns about the proposed S$3,600 per hour fee for calling at PSA berths.

According to SSA 19 cruise ships will be affected and have to pay extra amounts ranging from S$12,728 (based on Seven Seas Mariner’s four-hour stopover) to as much as S$107,644 (based on Costa Classica's 34-hour stay). As the cruise principals were just informed a week ago of this increase, these additional charges would not be in their current budgets, opines the association.

When contacted by Seatrade Insider, SCC's president Cheong Teow Cheng said the cruise terminal operator had made presentations and held meetings with cruise agents from as far back as 2007 to inform them that SCC would no longer be absorbing the charges to PSA from 2009 onwards.

He expressed dismay that the agents had not communicated this to their principals any earlier. He said last week SCC wrote directly to the lines but did not state the fee amounts as they are still in the process of looking at docking alternatives.

PSA was SCC's parent until 2003. Cheong said once it was hived off, SCC did its ‘national service’ absorbing the additional PSA dockage charges up to now.

There are also length and height restrictions for cruise ships calling SCC and from next year the company will cease absorbing any charges on ships forced to use the PSA facility for technical reasons, too.

Local cruise agents contend there was no written notice confirmation from SCC on this tariff charge despite the SSA cruise line agents’ repeated requests for it. They consider it ‘relatively urgent’ that SCC issues the written notice so that they can advise their principals, who in turn will have to make a decision whether or not to call at Singapore.

In 2008, over 1,000 cruise ships carrying more than 920,000 passengers stopped at Singapore. With the completion of the two Integrated Resorts in 2010 and the International Cruise Terminal at Marina South in 2011, the SSA expects further expansion in regional and international cruises using Singapore as a hub.

Cheong told Seatrade Insider that if agents advise their principals to berth on a day when SCC could handle the ships, instead of the weekend when its two berths are generally booked solid, they could avoid paying the extra charges. He also said SCC was looking into alternative docking areas such as Jurong in the west or Sembawang in the north of the island.

Frankie Tan, general manager Harpers Shipping and chairman of SSA's cruise sub committee, said he hoped SCC would consider waiving or postponing the increased charges until the next cruise season, to allow cruise lines the time to budget accordingly or consider alternatives to docking at the PSA container terminal."

We will be in Singapore on the Tahitian Princess next month.

Will you be at the Cruise Terminal or the Container berth?

We will also be in Singapore shortly on the Diamond, but we will be at the container terminal and have to be shuttled to the cruise terminal.

Will you be at the Cruise Terminal or the Container berth?

We will also be in Singapore shortly on the Diamond, but we will be at the container terminal and have to be shuttled to the cruise terminal.

I don't know where we will be docked.

Paul, I hope you will do a "live" while on the ship. I will be going in January, and there is little to very little activity. Sure would like to know how it is, and what you think of the ship and the ports.

I will be on the December 2nd, 2009 cruise right after drydock. I will be doing a day by day posting on the Ocean Princess board. On ports and the ship, I will answer any questions sent to me.

I spoke to our Maersk rep (world's largest container shipping line) in Singapore very early this morning because we are missing two containers of dragon fruit out of Cambodia (they should have been in Singapore for transshipment yesterday). While I had him on the phone trying to find our containers, I asked him what the new regs mean to cruise ships.

He expects some itinerary changes. The additional dockage fees were dropped on the cruise lines at the last minute. To avoid the fees, dock times may be changed or an overnight stop in Singapore MAY be rearranged to be only a port day due to the amount of space available and the additional fees. Just a heads up for those who are doing an overnight in Singapore-you MAY not get the overnight OR you may be at a different dock and have to notifiy your shore excursion operators.

For those embarking/disembarking in Singapore, it should have no effect, other than you may be at a different dock.

Paul, I hope you will do a "live" while on the ship. I will be going in January, and there is little to very little activity. Sure would like to know how it is, and what you think of the ship and the ports.

Yes, I am planning to do a Live Thread. It will be in the Princess section. We will be on the ship before drydock, so the ship could be somewhat different when you board.

This will be our 5 cruise on the Tahitian, and we love the ship.

I spoke to our Maersk rep (world's largest container shipping line) in Singapore very early this morning because we are missing two containers of dragon fruit out of Cambodia (they should have been in Singapore for transshipment yesterday). While I had him on the phone trying to find our containers, I asked him what the new regs mean to cruise ships.

He expects some itinerary changes. The additional dockage fees were dropped on the cruise lines at the last minute. To avoid the fees, dock times may be changed or an overnight stop in Singapore MAY be rearranged to be only a port day due to the amount of space available and the additional fees. Just a heads up for those who are doing an overnight in Singapore-you MAY not get the overnight OR you may be at a different dock and have to notifiy your shore excursion operators.

For those embarking/disembarking in Singapore, it should have no effect, other than you may be at a different dock.

Interesting as Azamara quest is scheduled to dock at 4:00pm next year and we hope to do the night safari.

Archived