Is it worth it?

frankhouse

Hi everybody! I'm wanting some feedback on cruising on RCCL. I have only cruised, Carnival, NCL and Dolphin cruise lines and have never had a bad cruise.

I really want to cruise on one of RCCL's big ships. But is it worth the extra cost? I like the fact that they offer things like rock climbing, ice skating and surfing but I probably wouldn't use them very much. I might try them but my wife wouldn't, so is it worth the extra money?

We love having fun so I really don't know. I'm putting together a family reunion cruise for 9/2011. Based on 2010 prices I can cruise the eastern Caribbean for a lot less on the new Carnival Dream than I can on any Royal Caribbean ship on the same itinerary.

So, I ask, is it worth the extra money? Food, entertainment, cabin services, cabin size, night life and fun?

I posted this on the RCL thread also.:eek::)

I wait for my price on RCL. Prices have been as low as $417 on voyger which has all those items and out of Gavleston, so no more expensive than Conquest. RCL does tend to be higher early on, but they also give price drops up until sailing for everything except the tuesday sales. Iv never had to pay more than $499, but that was with $10 pp I think fuel, so it cost more than Conquest ... but I usually dont pay much more.

If the cost is a lot more, I wouldnt book it myself.

I have only ever been on one RCCL which was the Radiance and it was a great ship to travel from Alaska. Have never been on the larger RCCL as all the bells and whistles aren't of any interest for me.

Chops and Portifinos are both great restaurants that are worth the surcharge. All the staff were very friendly and took the time to get to know you

My next cruise is on Grandeur of the seas and heard great things about this ship's crew too. Too bad there isn't the extra charge specialty restaurants but can live with it

We sailed RCL "Adventure of the Seas" out of San Juan last February to Southern Caribbean. When looking into southern route again for this February, our choices were RCL(AOS or Enchantment of the Seas), "Caribbean Princess" and Carnival "Victory". Although we enjoyed RCL's AOS very much, I couldn't justify paying literally almost double what I am paying for the Carnival "Victory". It just wasn't THAT GOOD! I would rather spend the savings on excursions or, better yet, on another vacation.

If you've never sailed on the bigger Royal ships and you love cruising, you owe it to yourself to sail Royay! The food is very good in the MDR, and excellent in either Chops or Portofinos! Plenty of activities and beautiful ships! Try it, it's well worth the money!

I have been a loyal royal since my first cruise 2 years ago.. I got hooked and sailed them a LOT! I was on the Liberty of the Seas last August and LOVED it! I did do the surfing.. not the rockwall or the ice rink. I LOVED the ship and would do it again in a heartbeat if the price was comparable to Carnival. We went on our first Carnival in August and did like it.. hubby more than me but for the price, I am totally okay with it! I just prefer the set up on the big ships better.. LOVE the royal promenade down the center of the ship. But thats not a make or break for me... food was good on both, more options on Carnival I think. Service was just as good! Rooms were bigger on Carnival. I love the freshwater pools on the Freedom class RCI ships.. but I can deal without that! Now my big reason is that we sail with 6 (4kids). On Royal, for an inside cabin for 6 for the SAME time frame, I was looking at $4200 ($4300 if I wanted 2 inside cabins). We booked Carnival for $4000 for a balcony and an inside and had $100 in price drops before final payment and now I am pending another $320 in OBC for drops. $3600 on a BRAND new ship with a balcony cabin vs $4200 in an inside... I love Royal but not for $600 more!

We wound up with a last minute OV on deck 2. I had no idea OVs were only on lower decks, and deck 2 and 3 dont go thru because of the ice arena, so I wouldnt pick a OV there on purpose, but we would have missed the movie theater on RCL otherwise, and we enjoyed a couple of movies or popping in when we had down time.

Princess does movies in the theater during the day too, but Carnival doesnt, even on the ships with the large movie screen when we had down time. Small plus to RCL imo.

Radiance Class ship has got to be the prettiest ship... Explorer of the Seas is BIG, and has the Ice Rink (we enjoyed the show), as well as the Rock Wall, but we didn't try that!!:) Promenade was great.. We enjoyed the Seaview Cafe on the Jewel of the Seas.. Cabins on RCI are a tad smaller within category..!!

Value wise, when booking a balcony of similar category, Carnival holds the winning hand.. A bit larger, and the beds are comfy..:p

Ambience wise, RCI is a bit 'classier', but for the $$$, we pick CCL!:D

We are trying Princess next Spring.. We enjoy trying different ships/lines...:cool:

Value wise, when booking a balcony of similar category, Carnival holds the winning hand.. A bit larger, and the beds are comfy..:p.:cool:

Actually when you add the balcony part to the interior part, the newer ships balconys cabins are larger on RCL. Surprising I know. Only interiors and OVs are bigger on Carnival, total s.f. of balconys larger on newer RCL ships.

value wise, Carnival tips the scale, but not size wise on balconys...go look at cruisedeckplans yourself.

Actually when you add the balcony part to the interior part, the newer ships balconys cabins are larger on RCL. Surprising I know. Only interiors and OVs are bigger on Carnival, total s.f. of balconys larger on newer RCL ships.
Comparing being in a Cat 8 balcony (note my mention of within category), and an E-2 on Explorer of the Seas, the E-2 is a tad smaller 'room wise'..:)

Comparing sf to sf doesn't mean squat, if the cabin 'feels' smaller..:o The DW and I both agreed on this..:cool: To each their own..

Comparing being in a Cat 8 balcony (note my mention of within category), and an E-2 on Explorer of the Seas, the E-2 is a tad smaller 'room wise'..:)

Comparing sf to sf doesn't mean squat, if the cabin 'feels' smaller..:o The DW and I both agreed on this..:cool: To each their own..

I said if you count the balcony part of the cabin, yes the inside is smaller, but if you like the balcony part to be larger and include it, RCL has larger balconys total s.f. wise.

E1: Avg sq ft cabin: 173 Balcony: 47 = 220 s.f

8s: 185 + 35 = 215 s.f.

----

inside larger on Carnival, balcony larger on RCL for the smallest balcony category.

My point above...!!:p

We will never agree, since we are using different logic..:) Mine is above..:D

Princess does movies in the theater during the day too, but Carnival doesnt, even on the ships with the large movie screen when we had down time. Small plus to RCL imo.

I was on the Spirit in July and watched the Curious Case of Benjamin Button in a lounge with a movie screen. There were other movies as well, but I didn't watch them.

I don't think it is worth the extra price because I won't use things like the rock wall, ice rink, basketball, flowrider, etc... If you would use these things, then maybe it would be worth the higher price. I find the food and entertainment better on Carnival, which is what is important to me.

I'm doing a price comparison right now on next April to celebrate hitting the big 50. Bottom line is in early April , I can sail either the Carnival Dream or RCCL Oasis on the exact same itinerary on same week. Three ports , Nassua,St Thomas,St Marteen , and 3 sea days.

For almost an identical price :

On the Oasis, I'll be in a standard oceanview balcony room,decks 10 or 11

On the Dream , I'll be in a Cloud 9 Spa suite w/ balcony , deck 10

Hands down , better value on Carnival

Hi everybody! I'm wanting some feedback on cruising on RCCL. I have only cruised, Carnival, NCL and Dolphin cruise lines and have never had a bad cruise.

I really want to cruise on one of RCCL's big ships. But is it worth the extra cost? I like the fact that they offer things like rock climbing, ice skating and surfing but I probably wouldn't use them very much. I might try them but my wife wouldn't, so is it worth the extra money?

We love having fun so I really don't know. I'm putting together a family reunion cruise for 9/2011. Based on 2010 prices I can cruise the eastern Caribbean for a lot less on the new Carnival Dream than I can on any Royal Caribbean ship on the same itinerary.

So, I ask, is it worth the extra money? Food, entertainment, cabin services, cabin size, night life and fun?

Not worth it to us to cruise RCI just for the extras .. ice rink.. sorry we live in Canada don't wanna see ice.. rock wall.. not interested.. we enjoy Carnival.. if you are bringing a large group.. I would think of the money factor.. We have had nothing but fun sailing Carnival.. but too each their own.. if you are looking for those extras that RCI has than maybe the extra money is worth it to you...

Ive been on 7 carnival ships and 3 RCCl and royal is much better by far,but alot more money also.The freedom of the sea is amazing the family loved it.voyager of the sea was great also. I booked carnival because i cant afford royal if i could I promise I would be there.Its nicer,service is better. Food is also better. u know what they say You get what you pay for. thats the truth.

I'm doing a price comparison right now on next April to celebrate hitting the big 50. Bottom line is in early April , I can sail either the Carnival Dream or RCCL Oasis on the exact same itinerary on same week. Three ports , Nassua,St Thomas,St Marteen , and 3 sea days.

Oasis hasnt even started to sail yet, and prices are about double what I can do Voyager for. I cancelled Oasis myself, not worth paying double over Voyager, when I like Voyager.

I plan on giving Oasis some time, prices have to come down in the next couple of years, until then Voyager does me just fine. When you add in the fact that for Oasis I need to fly there, 2 people and hotel, it would have been triple the price for Voyager, no way.

Nothing wrong with Carnival. With me cruising so much I need more variety is all, did Voyager and will have 6 on Carnival in 2009, so I cruise year round. Boring to keep doing the same ships is why Im willing to pay up to $50 pp more for Voyager, but not much more.

IMO:

First, I think it's always good to try other lines. The only way to know if you're going to like something is to try it for yourself.

For me however, Royal Caribbean wasn't worth paying extra. If I could get a price on the itinerary I wanted that was equal to what I would pay on Carnival, I might go on RCCL again...their ships are beautiful.

But, because I don't make use of all the 'extra' things RCCL ships offer (what I call 'land-stuff') and I think their food sucks (just my opinion) I would never pay more for a Royal cruise and I would have to think hard even if it were priced equal to CCL.

Disclaimer: I have only sailed RCCL one time and my opinion is based off that one cruise, which might not be fair.

Okay, I've sailed the largest (for now anyway) and the smallest on both lines.

You couldn't PAY me to sail on the Monarch of the Seas again. (had a wonderful time with my granddaughter--but didn't like the ship at all) But on the other hand the Mariner of the Seas was beautiful and we really enjoyed the ice show. Didn't do any of the other extras included on the Voyager class ships.

Both lines are more similar than different. Foods about the same--but we prefer Carnival's.

Beds, we sleep much better on Carnival--way more comfortable.

We drive to the ports since dh doesn't like to fly--so we have more port and intinerary choices with Carnival.

I would never ever pay MORE to go on RCCL--but if the price and timing was right I would sail with them again.

I just seem to get better choices and much better pricing with Carnival and we haven't had a bad cruise yet.

Hope this helps...I mean for it to be balanced and truthful.

Okay, I've sailed the largest (for now anyway) and the smallest on both lines.

You couldn't PAY me to sail on the Monarch of the Seas again. (had a wonderful time with my granddaughter--but didn't like the ship at all) But on the other hand the Mariner of the Seas was beautiful and we really enjoyed the ice show. Didn't do any of the other extras included on the Voyager class ships. .

I did the SOV sister to Majesty, a teensy bit smaller than Monarch and said the same thing, never again, cabins too small for me.

You say you didnt do any of the extras, but went to the ice show, which to me is a extra since Carnival doesnt have it. thats the only extra I wound up doing. I really enjoyed the ping pong on Carnival who has it every day for a tournament vs. only once on RCL. Carnival won for that.

I wouldnt do a small RCL ship again either. I couldnt wait until Conquest the following cruise with 220 s.f OVs.

There is absolutely no comparison between these two ships. You are definitely comparing apples & oranges. The only similiarities other than sailing to the same ports, is that they will both be basically new ships.

I like both cruise lines and I don't always agree that Royal Caribbean is worth the extra money. But if I were paying the same amount as you posted, I would definitely go on Oasis. JMO.

As long as you don't think you're buying up to something better. My first time with RCCL, I was looking for it, and never found it. We found it was as good as Carnival (except the food), only more expensive.

I'm trying to put together a family reunion cruise for September or October 2011 and I was looking at the itinerary out of Port Canaveral to the Eastern Caribbean. Carnival Dream stops in Nassua and the Freedom stops in Cococay which I like better. The rest of the itinerary is the same but it would cost to much for my daughter. The inside available cabin on RCL would cost her $2575.96 and on the Dream it would be $1731.24 plus it's about 30 square feet bigger. For my wife and I it's not a whole lot more, about $170.00 pp. There's just two of us and we would get a balcony regardless of which ship.

I don't know what the rest of the family would want to do. I'm sure my 2 sons would love the RCL ship because of the rock climbing and surfing and my grand daughters love to ice skate. I'm not sure if they'd go for the higher cost though. The price for the third and forth person on Freedom is almost as much as the first and second on the Dream. All the prices are based on 2010 prices because neither of them go out that far yet.

A poster on the Royal Caribbean thread said the prices are higher out of Port Canaveral because of the Disney ships and the same itineraries are cheaper at other ports. I will be looking into that. I was just considering Port Canaveral because it's close to where some of my family lives. It would be worth it to drive further if we were saving a lot of money.:)

Archived