Missed flight?

NCMtnBoys

I tried finding the information on their website (American Airlines), but couldn't. Hypothetically speaking, if I was checked in for my return flight after disembarking the ship, but missed that flight, how exactly does the airline handle this? Will they honor the ticket for the missed flight on the next flight? If there is space available on the next flight, is there a fee to go on the next flight? Will any accommodation to a later flight be on a stand-by or confirmed basis? How would travel insurance play into this if I've purchased that?

Thanks in advance.

I tried finding the information on their website (American Airlines), but couldn't. Hypothetically speaking, if I was checked in for my return flight after disembarking the ship, but missed that flight, how exactly does the airline handle this? Will they honor the ticket for the missed flight on the next flight? If there is space available on the next flight, is there a fee to go on the next flight? Will any accommodation to a later flight be on a stand-by or confirmed basis? How would travel insurance play into this if I've purchased that?

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the ticket class. What class ticket are asking about? With the cheapest tickets you might need to buy a full fair ticket for the next flight and they might (don't have too) give you credit for the ticket you missed. Keep in mind there could be only first class available.

If you change airlines you get nothing.

Sounds like you made it to the airport and checked in, but still missed the flight. Is that the case? If you have a restricted (ie cheap) ticket, I think there would be a stiff stupid tax for that and I doubt the travel insurance would cover it.

No idea what your trip insurance policy says, so couldn't possibly answer that. Read the policy and see; most have a clause about not kicking in until you have to wait a certain number of hours.

If you are going to miss your flight, call AA. They offer same day travel changes (confirmed) on domestic flights within 12 hours of the alternate for a fee of $50, subject to availability. These changes can be made by phone, at a kiosk, or with an airport agent.

http://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=/utility/sameDayTravel.jsp

Problem solved.

No idea what your trip insurance policy says, so couldn't possibly answer that. Read the policy and see; most have a clause about not kicking in until you have to wait a certain number of hours.

If you are going to miss your flight, call AA. They offer same day travel changes (confirmed) on domestic flights within 12 hours of the alternate for a fee of $50, subject to availability. These changes can be made by phone, at a kiosk, or with an airport agent.

Problem solved.

This is good information, I thank you.

And thanks to everyone else too.

Problem solved.

I don't think this policy applies to a missed flight. i.e. Arriving at the airport after your flight leaves.

I don't think this policy applies to a missed flight. i.e. Arriving at the airport after your flight leaves.

No, I wouldn't think so either. I would guess you'd need to realize ahead of time you may not make it and call them before the flight leaves to change it.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think I understand. Are you saying you are checked in at the airport and missed the flight? Or are you saying you printed our your boarding pass on the ship, then disenbarked the ship, but got to the airport too late to board the plane?

I had sort of the same question, what happens if you print out your boarding pass on the ship the night before and for some reason the ship starts letting people off late and you miss your flight would this be cover by insurance. I have a afternoon flight out this is just a wondering question

Pam

One thing that looks like is not being realized, is on a cruise day, there is NOT likely to be any space left on later flights, and those flights many times in oversold status. So if you "miss" your flight, don't even plan on getting out the same day.

As stated, you need to be well aware of what you purchased and your ticket restrictions. Find this out now and print out any information, that you may have to refer back to. As for insurance, these have very explicit terms. IF You happened to have booked a very iffy timeframe for your flight from disembarking, you may not be covered since it doesn't ahear to the guidelines and wasn't a doable risk to begin with.

I don't think I understand. Are you saying you are checked in at the airport and missed the flight? Or are you saying you printed our your boarding pass on the ship, then disenbarked the ship, but got to the airport too late to board the plane?

Would it make a difference? In each case, OP would miss the flight.

I had sort of the same question, what happens if you print out your boarding pass on the ship the night before and for some reason the ship starts letting people off late and you miss your flight would this be cover by insurance. I have a afternoon flight out this is just a wondering question

Pam

You have to read your insurance policy. I just purchased a trip insurance policy which states that the insurance company will reimburse me up to the limits of my policy for reasonable additional expenses until travel becomes possible, if my trip is delayed five or more hours from the original departure time, as a result of a cancellation or delay of a regularly scheduled airline flight for the following reasons:

Insured in a traffic accident and this is substantiated by a police report

Common Carrier Delay

My passport, money or other travel documents are stolen or lost

I am quarantined

A Strike

Inclement Weather that keeps the plane from taking off

Natural Disaster

Death or illness of myself or traveling companion

It does not cover me if I get to the airport late or if I miss by boarding call and the flight leaves without me, etc. The coverage will not pay for a new plane ticket on another airline; it merely covers meals, lodging, taxi fares, essential phone calls which were incurred as a result of a covered delay.

Do not rely on trip insurance to protect you from everything. Read the policy carefully.

Archived