WHTI Rules - Birth Certificate for Mexico Sailing

PrincessE

HI -

Just checking to see - has anyone had any difficulties sailing with a birth certificate and state drivers license?

My husband, parents and myself are sailing on Nov 14th R/T LOS to Mexico. My husband only has a birth certificate and DL.

I don't expect problems, but was curious to know if anyone has sailed with those two documents and how it went.

Thanks!!

P.S. Please do not respond with how necessary it is to have a passport. My husband can't have one.

I have not personally sailed without a passport, but I know many people that have on the Mex. Riv. You will be fine without one.

Just remember that when you get off in port, take the birth certificate and DL with you, as the Mexican port officials do check these documents ocassionally and when they do, they REALLY scrutinize the birth certificates. We heard one couple being drilled because they didn't have a passport. The port authority thought their birth certificates were fake. :rolleyes:

I have a passport that I have renewed twice now. However I do watch these boards concerning reentry requirements. The only postings I have read concerned someone who had a BC and DL and the names (last names) were not the same (married, adopted, etc). Your DH should not have a problem.

Great idea. And, you won't be alone. There will be quite a few others without birth certificates - at least for a little while longer.

What do you mean, "at least for a little while longer"? Is there a rumor or expectation that they're going to do away with the BC/DL as acceptable ID?

He will have no problem sailing with a drivers license and birth certificate for now. Just remember the birth certificate must be state issued and have the seal on it, that you can feel. A photo copy will not work. Some people have birth certificates that were issued from a hospital, those also will not work.

FYI do not walk around with your birth certificate or passport. This is never a good ideal. Leave them in your safe. If you feel the need bring photo copies. If you are robbed etc., no problem with copies. I have been to Mexico many many times...and have never been stopped and asked for my passport or birth certificate except at the airport.:cool:

I have to say that I dont agree with the above poster. The WHTI is new, and seems to indicate we are going away from the passports only idea. Also, I noticed you lived in Washington. Washington allows its residence to have an enhanced drivers license, which works out really nicely. This is what my wife and I are using and seems to resolve any/all issues regarding travel to Mexico/Canada.

You have to take your ID with you when you are ashore in Mexico. If you miss the ship and have no ID, you're up the creek trying to fly to the next port or even drive to the next port.

If you're stopped at the gate to the port entrance (as in Cabo where they stopped and checked ID for everyone against their sign & sail cards the last time we were there), then you're in a tough spot too.

You have to take your ID with you when you are ashore in Mexico. If you miss the ship and have no ID, you're up the creek trying to fly to the next port or even drive to the next port.

If you're stopped at the gate to the port entrance (as in Cabo where they stopped and checked ID for everyone against their sign & sail cards the last time we were there), then you're in a tough spot too.

A driver's license is all that is needed for the port ID check.

What do you mean, "at least for a little while longer"? Is there a rumor or expectation that they're going to do away with the BC/DL as acceptable ID?

Yes, passports will be the only accepted form of ID eventually. It would've been about 2 years ago, but the govt. keeps extending the deadline. :rolleyes:

There is no "for a little while longer" concerning the passport issue for closed-loop cruises originating in the United States. That battle has been fought and won by the cruise lines for now and for the foreseeable future. All you need is a state-issued ID and a birth certificate. Period... end of story... (well, of course, until they futz with the law again :rolleyes::):p )

There is no "for a little while longer" concerning the passport issue for closed-loop cruises originating in the United States. That battle has been fought and won by the cruise lines for now and for the foreseeable future. All you need is a state-issued ID and a birth certificate. Period... end of story... (well, of course, until they futz with the law again :rolleyes::):p )

You are correct and here is a summary of the ruling pertaining to close looped cruises:

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) Passport Requirements became effective June 1, 2009, for land and sea borders. While the WHTI requires a valid passport for land and sea travel, a final ruling was issued allowing leniency for “closed-loop” cruises, i.e., sailings that both originate and terminate in the same U.S. port.

Recent guidance received from the Department of Homeland Security indicates the documentary requirements under WHTI for “closed loop” cruises are not limited to cruises that travel only to contiguous territories or adjacent islands. This means U.S. citizens calling on ports in Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica and Belize will also be exempt from the passport requirement.

U.S. citizens taking “closed-loop” cruises are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required. Canadian and Bermudian citizens are required to have a passport for air, land and sea travel, including all Carnival cruises.

Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking “closed loop” cruises, we strongly recommend all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Having a passport will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port in the event they miss their scheduled embarkation or to fly back to the U.S. if they need to disembark the ship mid-cruise due to an emergency.

If a cruise begins and ends in different U.S. ports or begins and ends in a foreign port (such as our Alaska cruises and Hawaii cruises) a valid passport or other recognized WHTI-compliant document is required. A valid passport is required if you are traveling on any of our Europe cruises.

Archived